Can Anyone ID this LP?

Son-of-a-Weizen

1. Sonny Moon For Two (S.Rollins)

2. Like Someone in Love (Burke-Van Husen)

3. Theme from Pathetique Symphony (Tchaikowsky)

Lust for Life (Jones)

4. I Got It Thad and That Ain't Bad (Feather)

5. Ballad Medley - Flamingo (Grouya - Anderson) - If You 6. Were Mine (Mercer - Malneck) - I'm Through with Love (Malneck, Kahn, Livingstone) - Love Walked In (Gershwin)

Tracks 1-3: Jimmy Cleveland,tb; Gil Coggins,p; Wendell Marshall,b; Kenny Dennis,ds; Recorded in NYC, Nov.4, 1957.

4-5: Thad Jones,tp; Frank Foster,ts; Jimmy Jones,p; Jo Jones,ds; Doug Watkins,b; Recorded in NYC, Dec.24, 1956.

6: Thad Jones,tp; Frank Wess,ts; Henry Coker,tb; Tommy Flanagan,p; Elvin Jones,ds; Eddie Jones,b; Jan.6, 1957. Co. HR-106EV

Sonny Rollins, Thad Jones

Sonny Rollins Plays

Sonny Moon For Two (S.Rollins)

Like Someone in Love (Burke-Van Husen)

Theme from Pathetique Symphony (Tchaikowsky)

Lust for Life (Jones)

I Got It Thad and That Ain't Bad (Feather)

Ballad Medley - Flamingo (Grouya - Anderson) - If You Were Mine (Mercer - Malneck) - I'm Through with Love (Malneck, Kahn, Livingstone) - Love Walked In (Gershwin)

1-3: Jimmy Cleveland,tb; Gil Coggins,p; Wendell Marshall,b; Kenny Dennis,ds; Recorded in NYC, Nov.4, 1957 /

4-5: Thad Jones,tp; Frank Foster,ts; Jimmy Jones,p; Jo Jones,ds; Doug Watkins,b; Recorded in NYC, Dec.24, 1956 /

6: Thad Jones,tp; Frank Wess,ts; Henry Coker,tb; Tommy Flanagan,p; Elvin Jones,ds; Eddie Jones,b; Jan.6, 1957 / Co. HR-106EV

Originally released on Period. Also widely available for years in budget bins everywhere on the (Everest) Archive Of Folk Music Jazz Series label as SONNY ROLLINS (FS-220).

The Rollins half of the album is currently available on THE FREELANCE YEARS box. Of note is that it was recorded the day after the Vanguard album. Comparisons between the two "Sonny Moons" are most instructive, as is compaing the Rollins/Cleveland frontline to the Rollins/JJ one on Blue Note's VOLUME 2.

This was my very first exposure to Mr. Rollins, thanks to the cutout bins of the Longview, Tx. Treasure City store, and it remains a favorite. Certainly not his most adventurous work, but a favorinite nonetheless. Gil Coggins' work here remains a fascination, sounding as it does a bit like Sonny Clark being too loaded to really play. Gotta love that!

The Thad stuff is really nice too. Jimmy Jones is OUT!