French Duke Reissues

jones

I'm heading to France next month, and am wondering about Duke stuff reissued on French labels. I seem to remember some reissues of his earlier stuff is supposed to be well done on a couple French labels. I've seen all sorts of things on lower priced labels over the pond, but am always skeptical because I figure the source material may not be original due to differing copyright laws, etc.

Am I nuts? Is this true? (True about the discs, not whether or not I'm nuts.) If so, anything for which I should keep my eyes peeled?

Merci!

I've had good experience. The Masters of Jazz series is in great sound, has items not found elsewhere, and has notes! One of my favorite series of cds is the French CBS "Complete 1947 to 1952"--six cds, much of which are not in print from the US or Japanese branches of the label, and the sound is quite decent. (I know it could be better but it's quite good). The Chronogical Classics series again has decent sound and has items that are not found on US cds. . . .

Don't expect to see much different Ellingtons than the ones you can find in the States. The couple of French reissue labels you refer are probably Classics and Masters of Jazz. Classics has just reached the year 1952 in their chronological Ellington series. Masters of Jazz ceased publishing a couple of years ago. Their complete Ellington series went up to volume 12. Masters of Jazz is unfortunately out of business now.

You may have trouble getting specific Classics CDs because most of the big record stores cannot stock the full output from that very effective label. But if you're lucky you may find some of the Ellington boxes Classics released which contain six CDs each. Classics did this for Duke and Armstrong.

The French CBS 1947-1952 series has recently been repackaged. It's worth looking for if you don't have it.

Edited by brownie

Thanks one and all.

Brownie, can you recommend a good local Paris record store? Any place small with a well chosen collection I shouldn't miss? Merci.

I don't go to the big stores (FNAC, Virgin) usually. Best one of the lot for its excellent jazz section is the FNAC store on the Rue de Rennes in the Montparnasse area.

Favorite stores are, they all are located in the 5th arrondissement on the Left Bank

- Gibert, at 34 Boulevard Saint-Michel. Jazz section is on second floor (our etage 1). Good new and secondhand selections,

- Jussieu Music, 5 rue Guy de la Brosse, a small street near Jussieu University. Jazz only, great selection, friendly shop,

- Paris Jazz Corner, 5 rue de Navarre, opposite the Arenes de Lutece, jazz only also. very wide selection. can be expensive,

- Crocojazz, 64 rue de la Montagne Sainte-Genevieve, right next to the Pantheon. Well stocked and very friendly.

You should find something interesting in any of those stores.