NBA Playoffs...

Popovich is claiming the clock didn't start on time when it was inbounded with 0.4 seconds left. His contention appears to be that Fisher couldn't have enough time to receive the ball, stop & turn, jump, and shoot the ball, all within 0.4 seconds. Heck, even the league agrees that 0.3 seconds is not enough time to get a shot off, ever.

I doubt the Spurs win the appeal, but it will be interesting to see how the league responds to the protest.

I know I'm late with this, but I still can't get over that finish. I agree with Pop. There's just no way Fischer did all that in .4 seconds. Had to be an error by the timer, IMO. You can't catch the ball (AND move a few feet with it like that before releasing it) in .4 seconds. PQ is right- the Spurs should have fouled him as soon as the ball got to his hands.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popovich is claiming the clock didn't start on time when it was inbounded with 0.4 seconds left.  His contention appears to be that Fisher couldn't have enough time to receive the ball, stop & turn, jump, and shoot the ball, all within 0.4 seconds.  Heck, even the league agrees that 0.3 seconds is not enough time to get a shot off, ever.

I doubt the Spurs win the appeal, but it will be interesting to see how the league responds to the protest.

I know I'm late with this, but I still can't get over that finish. I agree with Pop. There's just no way Fischer did all that in .4 seconds. Had to be an error by the timer, IMO. You can't catch the ball (AND move a few feet with it like that before releasing it) in .4 seconds. PQ is right- the Spurs should have fouled him as soon as the ball got to his hands.

You and Popovich may be right, but the game was played on the Spurs' home court. I guess that the people who run the time clocks don't go along with the refs and give the calls to the home team.

The rules are well-established--4/10 of a second is enough time to catch and shoot. 3/10 of a second is enough time to tip the ball into the basket. Any less time on the clock and the players can only touch the ball and time runs out.

The refs started the clock as quickly as they could get the information to fire across their synapses from their eyes to their hand. While this may amount to Fisher getting an extra 3/4 of a second to get his shot off--it is the way the clock is started and stopped all game long.

All the officials agreed Fisher got the shot off. Therefore, when looking at the replay, they were only looking for conclusive evidence that the ball left Fisher's hands AFTER the light lit above the backboard. When they could not find any evidence, they agreed that their original call was correct.

The NBA has very rarely agreed to overturn a call--and they didn't in this case.'

If I were a Spurs fan, I'm not sure I'd be too happy with that explanation--but I'm positive it is right.

Ok, Larry Brown is a fucking moron. The Pistons start the second half against the Nets up 14 points (up to 17 points early in the 3rd quarter) and then watch it dwindle down to a 2 point lead and 2:00 minutes to go before Brown makes his FIRST substitution. WHAT THE FUCK?!?

If they lose this game, I know who's fault it is. Tayshaun hasn't been himself lately and no one on the floor in the 3rd quarter was making shots except Rip Hamilton, and yet Brown keeps the same lineup through almost the entire quarter while a 17 point lead vanishes.

:wacko:

Man... how long has it been since the Pistons won one? Oh yeah, THREE games! Damn. They better take it in Detroit.

I still can't believe Brown and his resistance to substitution. I'm glad they pulled it out.

What was up with the Wolves/Kings? I didn't see the game but I saw something in passing about an altercation with KG.

Anyone see the reply of Rip Hamilton's last shot over J. Kidd? Kidd fouled him not once, but TWICE and the refs didn't call it. God forbid someone call a foul on Jason Kidd.

That's the one thing I hate about the NBA. The "stars" get special treatment from the refs. The same rules should apply to everyone.

I'm with you on that one, Jim. All the players are going to get away with a foul or two here or there. Star players seem to get away with fouls that are very obvious, and the refs seem to swallow their whistles for visiting teams in hostile arenas...

Pistons should be in the driver's seat for the seventh game, but they just seem incapable of scoring buckets.

Why isn't Sheed more of a factor? Their only scorers are Billups and Hamilton; and it seems Billups doesn't turn up for some games. Tayshaun is not a natural scorer.

I'm with you, Jim on praying the Pistons take it.

I work in Dearborn four days of the week and everyone is behind them...

Looks like the Lakers will march to the finals without much difficulty. I don't see either Minnesota or Sacramento posing many problems for them.

Looks like the Lakers will march to the finals without much difficulty. I don't see either Minnesota or Sacramento posing many problems for them.

Really?

The Lakers were only 1-3 to each of these teams during the season.

The WOLVES will have home court advantage too.

We'll have to see if the OLD Lakers can still stand-up for another series. :rolleyes:

Sactown will be without sharpshooting former Laker/Tenderwolf Anthony Peeler, who is suspended two games for duking regular season mvp KG in the chops.

While I agree SA is stronger than both Sac and Minnesota, I don't think either of those teams are pushovers.

The Lakers will have to earn it, no question.

Edited by Noj

Basketball By Kurtis Blow And SS Diddy

Chorus

They're playing Basketball

We love that Basketball

They're playing Basketball

We love that Basketball

(Now rapping Basketball Number 1 Kurtis Blow)

Basketball is my favorite sport

I like the way they dribble up and down the court

Just like I'm the King on the microphone so is Da Glove and Karl Malone

I like Slam dunks take me to the hoop

My favorite play was the Coop-A-Loop

I like the pick-and-roll, I like the give-and-go,

Cause it's Basketball, uh, Mister Kurtis Blow,

Chorus

I used to go to dinner, and then take the honeys,

To see Magic play against Larry Bird,

And Wilt, Kareem, and Jerry West,

To play Basketball at it's very best,

Basketball has always been my thing,

I like Jack, Snoop, and Rodney King,

And number 34, my man Da Daddy,

Is the center on my starting team,

(To the hoop, ya'll, Watch out, Watch out

In yo' face, now here comes the West)

Big Game James, B-Scott, and Michael Cooooooooooop,

Now these players, could never be beat,

Pretty Ricky, Kobe, DEEEEEE Fish and Mad-Dawg too,

Get Mad-Dawg on the dance floor and give him some room, and then you talk up too,

B-Cook and Luke Dub are on the scene,

And The Mailman’s Elbows are really mean,

GEEEEEE-PEEEEEEEE didn't take no junk,

and Shaq Diesel got a monster dunk,

Tell me, were you in the joint?,

The night Shaq missed 100 free-throws,

Or when Lakers won titles back-to-back-to-back,

(Can You Dig it?)

And didn't give Da Queens or Spurs, no kind of slack,

Or when Shaq slapped the taste outta Kobe’s mouth,

With moves that came right out of a dream,

Or when, Coach Phil stood so tall,

Playing Da Triangle For #10, it's Lakers’ Basketball

Edited by Soulstation1

'Sheed has an injury that is keeping him from playing 100%. I forget the name of it, but it was described as feeling like a marble is in your heel constantly. So everytime you jump and come down, or step on your heel hard, it shoots pain up your leg.

Everybody needs to play their hearts out on Thursday to beat the Nets... Billups, Tayshaun, Rip, and the Wallaces, as well as the backups.

I'm still flabergasted that the bench got almost no use in the third quarter. What is Larry Brown thinking?!?

'Sheed has an injury that is keeping him from playing 100%. I forget the name of it, but it was described as feeling like a marble is in your heel constantly. So everytime you jump and come down, or step on your heel hard, it shoots pain up your leg.

Rashweed has plantar fasciitis(sp), which is very painful in a normal person, but add the stress of running & jumping up & down a lot, and YIKES! That's gotta hurt bigtime. I give Rashweed a lot of credit for going out there and playing hurt- he could easily have pulled himself out of the lineup.

i don't think the lakers will lose another game this post-season.

it's hard to believe the lakers are waiting for everyone else to finish their series

every title team needs needs one lucky shot/play and the lakers got lucky

i'm glad that shit didn't happen at the staples center, we'd never hear the end of it

I don't know about that. Did the Lakers play that well or did San Antonio play that badly? Besides Fishers shot is what got them here and San Antonio missed LOTS of open shots. I had the Lakers to win it all back when we were discussing all the off season moves but now I'm not so sure. Payton is not so good and Malone is still hurt. They are ripe to be taken but I really don't think Minnesota or Sacremento has it in them. No one is really winning these games (in all the series) as much as not losing them so I don't know what to think anymore so I'll go with experience and Kobe. As for the Pistons and Nets, I don't have a clue anymore.

Damn...'Sheeds injury sounds WAY more painful than I had originally thought. I wonder how many guys in the same situation would have sat out the series. It says a lot about what kind of player he is. Then again I have always liked 'Sheeds game, and hope the Pistons can finish off the series tomorrow night.