NBA Playoffs...

Have to give it up to the Pistons, I had no idea they were capable of this. To me though I wish they could give the MVP to Larry Brown. When all is said and done the Lakers were outcoached. In the second half, the Lakers were a confused bunch and Brown was still throwing new looks and new plays at them. Incredible coaching job. Phil's only move was to try and go small and that ended when Ben Wallace went over someones head to dunk an offensive rebound. The Pistons also had some luck through all this playing teams hurt with injuries, Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal and then worst of all Malone. I think the Lakers would have had a good chance if Malone was healthy. But that said the Pistons kicked ass. As for the Lakers, re-sign Kobe, get Malone to give it one more try, get rid of Payton (it was shocking to me how far he has fallen), get rid of Fox, get a couple of more hungry (but slightly younger) veterans and a few young athletic guys and give it another shot. I really don't think Kobe is going anywhere (not to another team or to prison, maybe divorce court). The Pistons have to re-sign Rasheed and get stronger backups at the guard position and send Darko to the summer league (imagine what they would have done with Carmelo)

Edited by kdd

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I didn't say it made sense.  But everyone thought the Lakers would sweep the Pistons or win it in 5 or 6.  Except those of us who have watched the Pistons all year and realized that they play much better than anyone thought.

ss1's attitude here before the series began was indictative of what the majority of people thought.  But you can't beat team basketball.

Hell, even you stated in this thread that the Pacers would win that series. How silly does that seem now?

Apologies to the Pacer fans in the house. ;)

........I'm waiting..........hello????? :rolleyes:

Uh... that was it.

:winky:

The parade is going by my window right now ... I can hear the crowd and I'm 16 floors up in my hermetically sealed office building. Pretty amazing ...

As for this comment "The Pistons also had some luck through all this playing teams hurt with injuries, Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal and then worst of all Malone" ... quit yer crying already! :bwallace:

If Detroit had lost Game 5, I had a scapegoat. Aretha Franklin! Now, I love Aretha. You can't diss the Queen of Soul without reason. However, what was she doing LIP-SYNCHING the national anthem? Maybe she was under the weather. You gotta bring your A game in the finals! Thankfully no scapegoat was needed. :P

These playoffs were so much fun to watch. From 1986 - 1992, I watched nearly every game. This brought back so many memories from my late teens / early 20's. A bunch of us had a party and called it 'Pat Riley Night.' Everyone slicked their hair straight back using a ton of gel. There was a beer called 11-11. We had a drinking game where every time there was an 11 on the screen, or a multiple of 11, you had to take a drink.

Isaiah Thomas scores! (He was #11): take a drink.

11 seconds left on the shot clock: take a drink.

Score is 22-33: take a drink.

Personal foul on Rick Mahorn (#44): take a drink.

It didn't take very long to get wasted. :g

blacklabel1111.jpg

The Pistons also had the Brooklyn, NY advantage- Larry Brown was born and raised in, as Ralph Kramden put it, 'the garden spot of the universe'. As the song NY NY goes, "if you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere"- is my Brooklyn pride showing? :rolleyes:

Lakers -

Now that Jerry West is gone. The Lakers do not have the management to pick players.

They need to start at the top. Another GM is needed.

Shaq thought he was the GM. He did pretty well. (they got to the finals)

Excellent point- since it looks like there will be a lot of changes on the lakers, they need a good GM to guide the way and make some good deals, signings, etc.

CBS Sportsline reports that Phil Jackson is officially out as coach, Kobe Bryant has opted out of his contract and is now an unrestricted free agent(though the Lakers could resign him and indicate they will make every effort to do so)and Shaq opted out of his exit interview and is a very unhappy camper. It looks like the Lakers will have a very BUSY offseason.

all the off season news is about the lakers, what's new???

is shaq goin' to the clippers, knicks or mavs?

ss1

I saw that Shaq wants to be traded, but with his salary approaching $30mil and the cap at 45mil, that's a tall order. Anybody who wants him will have to trade $30mil of contracts to LA to get Shaq. What may result is a team stripping itself of any good players to get Shaq. Then it'll be Shaq and a bunch of stiffs.

As dominating as Shaq can be, he is 32 and doesn't take care of himself. If you don't take care of yourself as an athlete, early 30s sometimes is the time when your body starts to fall apart. There's definitely some risk there for any team that gets Shaq. It'll be interesting to see what happens. The draft is tomorrow...