Greatest Finds

Can't believe that in the rush to recreate the old board, this thread hasn't appeared yet.

Anyway, here's a find that you organ grooving people may pretty much spit up your soda at:

8_earland_soulcrib.jpg

:)

Now, its not ACTUALLY that extraordinarily rare release, but I have been assured that the entire LP was reissued on two late 70s Muse LPs, and those two LPs are now winging their way to me. So between the track listing and that lovely image, I think its safe to say that unless you really want to know what's on the back of the LP, I got that sucker!

And one more for you organ people:

5.jpeg

That rare Pacific Jazz LP features Groove Holmes, Les McCann and Curtis Amy. Still wondering what possessed Dick Bock to record a Chicago bluesman with stellar jazz accompaniment. But I'm looking forward to hearing how they came together in the studio!

8_earland_soulcrib.jpg

Now, its not ACTUALLY that extraordinarily rare release, but I have been assured that the entire LP was reissued on two late 70s Muse LPs, and those two LPs are now winging their way to me.  So between the track listing and that lovely image, I think its safe to say that unless you really want to know what's on the back of the LP, I got that sucker!

Now that's pretty interesting! I have another Earland album on that very same Choice label, but that one is a trio recording: organ, guitar (Jimmy Ponder) and drums. I think it was recorded in 1966 and always assumed it was his first (pre-Prestige) recording!

I have the Bumble Bee Slim too. Not really hard-edged Chicago blues, but - as expected - blues with a jazzy feel (or jazz with a bluesy feel), more or less comparable with other PJ recordings such as Jimmy Witherspoon (w. Teddy Edwards) and Paul Bryant.

It's not organ jazz, but...

I found the Pacific Jazz album Sounds of Synanon for $1 in mint condition.

I haven't bought much vinyl in a while, but I've gotten so much good music for next to nothing.

Those old Pablo albums are usually pretty cheap, they are pressed on nice vinyl and sound really good. I've also found great deals on Muse lps.

It's not organ jazz, but...

I found the Pacific Jazz album Sounds of Synanon for $1 in mint condition.

Now that, at that price and condition, is QUITE a find good for you.

It was very difficult to play it cool when I was paying for it. I thought the seller would see me sweating and realize what he was selling was something of value.

Maybe not great finds, but what turned out to be great bargains - I was crusing around half.com and stumbled on some 90s Blue Notes. Two Orphy Robinson discs and James Hurt. The price was right. $.99 for the discs, from 3 different sellers. Of course the shipping costs add greatly to that. But still, for around $3.50 each I got what turned out to be some not half bad music. I really like the James Hurt and the first Robinson. His second release - "the Vibes Describes" is somewhat weaker, but it was money well spent.

I recently found the Benny Goodman, Ben Webster & Red Norvo Time/Life 3LP boxes for $2.99/each and the James P. Johnson for $5.99. About a week before I got the Smithsonian 6LP Ellington 1938-1940 box for $12. I've got some serious pre-bop listening to do! Of course, I didn't find anything that I was actually 'looking for', and I got my find within a few minutes of walking in, anyone else find that their shopping goes that way?