Raul Hilberg

watched the 1940-1942 issue of Ken Burns Jazz on television yesterday, where they claimed that American democracy was such a great and free climate that Black people and Jews (Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw they mentioned) could fully develope their creativity in it... creativity was not really the issue in other parts of the world either, i would say...

Hilberg's passing away is very sad news.

An updated paperback edition of his classic 'The Destruction of the European Jews' has been issued here recently. I know I'll get to it soon but just don't feel up to it right now!

Yes, very sad news.

The NYT obit is a bit weird I thought. I read a much shorter in a Swiss newspaper this morning that managed to be a lot more accurate in its appreciation of Hilberg's work.

I've had the German translation of "The Desctruction of the European Jews" on the shelves for two years or so now but I haven't felt like reading much in it so far, after having read various excerpts before.