Braxton Standards Box

Dave James

I'm of two minds about this possibility. Anything by Braxton that I have, I love. However, I just think Braxton is a much better player when he does his own compositions, he just has an added fire to his playing with his own music that is missing with standards. Who am I kidding though? I'd pre-order this set in a minute!

Braxton's done standards before on two Magenta lps. Interesting with the Hank Jones, Rufus Reid, Victor Lewis rythm section. Not a real meeting of minds though and not a lot happens. There were also some standards recorded for Steeplechase if my memory is correct.

If anything the quintet where Braxton leads from the piano is his most effective standards set.

Braxton's done standards before on two Magenta lps. Interesting with the Hank Jones, Rufus Reid, Victor Lewis rythm section. Not a real meeting of minds though and not a lot happens. There were also some standards recorded for Steeplechase if my memory is correct.

If anything the quintet where Braxton leads from the piano is his most effective standards set.

Those on Steeplechase where the ones with Tete, right? I heard one of the (two?) LPs long time ago. I can't remember how I thought it was, though, but it did certainly not blow me away.

ubu

This was a nice set:

Anthony Braxton Quartet

"8 Standards (Wesleyan) 2001"

A 2-disc set recorded live at Wesleyan University in April 2001. The quartet features Anthony Braxton (sopranino, soprano, alto saxophones), Kevin O'Neil (electric guitar), Andy Eulau (bass), and Kevin Norton (drums, glockenspiel, percussion). Includes Airegin, Escapade, Nuages, Someday My Prince Will Come, Why Do I Love You, Pujab, Duke Ellington's Sound of Love, and Lullaby in Rhythm.

I've got the Steeplechase LPs (In the Tradition I and II). I enjoy them, though probably as much for the novelty as for the music. Not that they are bad, but they don't appear to my 'usual' desire for swing. And not that they don't swing; they do, in their own, distinctive manner. Not your father's swing.