Promises Kept

Free For All

I just picked this one up (courtesy of the Borders sale)- it was an unknown to me, an impulse buy, but I know of the arranger, Carlos Franzetti, and am an admirer of his work that I've come across. And I know I like Steve Kuhn, and I actually know the bass player, Dave Finck.

This is an excellent CD! I'm listening to it late at night, and it's perfect for that time of day. Impeccable arrangements, great ECM recording, great playing by Kuhn and Finck. It might be a candidate for the CDs-to-do-it-by thread!

Has anyone picked this one up? It's definitely mood music, but I'm loving it right now. Tasty! :tup:tup

EDIT: As I listen to this, I'm detecting more than a little Bill Evans vibe from Kuhn. And Dave Finck is doing his best to be LaFaro-esque.

Edited by Free For All

I received it as part of a promotion from Jazz Corner. I the recipients are required to post a review. I am delaying posting my review because my reaction to the first listen was not overwhelming and I want to give it another shot.

I posted my review on Jazz Corner as part of the same promotion. I love Kuhn's playing and writing, but I'm just not into the lush Romantic string thing, and I think it's generally that element that will divide listeners into 2 camps.

Finck is indeed excellent.

Believe me, I understand what you're saying, guys. I know this stuff isn't for everyone.

I do believe that the "lush Romantic string thing" (for which I am admittedly a sucker), when done right, is pretty effective when experienced at the right time.

When the arrangements are cheesy it can be a chore to listen to- often its worth is determined only by the featured player, for example Clifford or Bird. I also loved Shirley Horn's Here's To Life, arranged by Johnny Mandel. I guess some people hated this one, but I really liked it. What can I say...

I do like this one (the Kuhn) though. Nice arranging by Franzetti. I can see this one not hitting everyone the same. I love escapism, and that's how I catagorize this one.

Edited by Free For All

I also loved Shirley Horn's Here's To Life, arranged by Johnny Mandel. I guess some people hated this one, but I really liked it. What can I say...

That one I REALLY love. Do you know David Sanchez's Obsesion? That's beautiful too, and features Franzetti arrangements. But I think Kuhn's music would have been better served by more challenging, more interactive, and less lush arrangements.