Calling all Basie fans ...

neveronfriday

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pic of the Basie band from the depths of the archives of the The Hague city archives (Netherlands)

14800b01.jpg

Het orkest van Count Basie treedt op in het Kurhaus (the Basie orchestra performs in the "Kurhaus" [scheveningen])

Fotonummer: 1.14800

Fotograaf: Smit, Simon E.

Datum: ex. 9 maart 1959

1 zwartwitfoto 17 x 23 cm

so, who do we see here?

Edited by couw

I just received permission to use the pictures of the collection of the dutch national archives for the website. You can view them here if you type basie in the search space. Nothing very spiffy, but nice nonetheless.

Ahhh, they have Kirk too! Thanks for this link.

(don't forget to check the coltrane pic)

I just received permission to use the pictures of the collection of the dutch national archives for the website. You can view them here if you type basie in the search space. Nothing very spiffy, but nice nonetheless.

Great news, John!

That gives us the chance to stay clean legally, and that's what we wanted to do here. No ripping off of other people's stuff. If Dmitry get some images in as well, we have plenty for illustration purposes.

Cheers!

I'm going to set up the "Count Basie Development Board" ( ;) ) on my site today. I will send you a brief mail when it is completed. We can use that to post discussions etc re the different areas of the site in development in a more organized way then here.

Thanks for all the mails I got from you guys (the gal is still missing). I will replay and contribute to the discussion when I'm done with the board.

Cheers!

pic of the Basie band from the depths of the archives of the The Hague city archives (Netherlands)

14800b01.jpg

Het orkest van Count Basie treedt op in het Kurhaus (the Basie orchestra performs in the "Kurhaus" [scheveningen])

Fotonummer: 1.14800

Fotograaf: Smit, Simon E.

Datum: ex. 9 maart 1959

1 zwartwitfoto 17 x 23 cm

so, who do we see here?

Looks like the saxes are (from L-R): Billy Mithchell, Frank Wess, Marshall Royal, & Frank Foster. Sonny Payne's on drums.

thanks Jim, seems Marshall Royal never had much hair did he?

I see there is a live recording from Switzerland recorded February 1959; I assume this pic was taking during the same tour of europe and that personnel did not change.

For the Suisse disk is listed:

Thad Jones, Snooky Young, Wendell Culley, Joe Newman.(tp) Henry Coker, Al Grey, Benny Powell.(tb) Marshall Royal.(as); Frank Wess.(as,fl); Billy Mitchell, Frank Foster.(ts); Charlie Fowlkes.(bs) Count Basie.(p); Freddie Green.(g); Eddie Jones.(b); Sonny Payne.(ds) Recorded : Live at Lausanne, Switzerland. February 3,6, 1959.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The work on the biography of the Count for our upcoming site has begun.

Here's the current proposal for the structure of the biography in several "eras". If you have any other and/or better propositions, please let me know!

So:

- Childhood/Youth

- Early Years: Blue Devils, Bennie Moten

- Barons of Rhythm: The Old Testament

- War Years: Radio Days

- The Hard Years

- New Testament: the Clef/Verve Years

- New Testament: the Roulette Years

- Popular Times: the Reprise Years

- Back to Basics: Granz & Pablo

What do you think about this?

feedback wanted!

thanks,

ubu

- New Testament: the Clef/Verve Years

- New Testament: the Roulette Years

- Popular Times: the Reprise Years

- Back to Basics: Granz & Pablo

Might want to break these down/up some more, because there was another post-Roulette stint at Verve that kinda ran parallel to the Reprise years, and then that kind broke down into the Dot years (two albums w/The Mills Brothers here, btw, in addition to the instrumental ones), which kinda ran parallel to the years spent doing one(or two)-offs for various medium (ABC Command, for example)-to-smaller (Flying Dutchman, Groove Merchant, MPS, etc)-to-smallest labels (Happy Tiger!), both with and without various singers such as Bing Crosby, Kay Starr, and Jackie Wilson. The Pablo years were defintiely a return to stability as far as label affiliation goes, and it had been a long stretch in between.

Seeing as how those years found the band sorta wandering in the desert labelwise, maybe you could call them the Blazing Saddle Years. ;)

Edited by JSngry