Bossa Nova

mgraham333

Where do you get your Bossa Nova?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My local Borders had a copy of Astrud Gilbreto for Lovers at a listening station and I stopped for a listen. I realized I don't really have any Bossa Nova in my collection. Not even the obligatory Getz/Gilbreto. Should I run out and correct that immediately - and if so, what else am I missing?

The albums included in your poll are all fine, but I believe that the best single disc introduction to bossa nova is the Verve compilation, "The Girl from Ipanema - The Antonio Carlos Jobim Songbook." This CD contains only a few of the usual suspects ("The Girl from Ipanema" from Getz/Gilberto and "Jazz Samba" from The Composer Plays). What is impressive about this release is that most of the performances are exceptional, but not otherwise easily obtained - several songs seem to appear nowhere else on CD, while others (such as "Corcovado" by Sarah Vaughan, "Felicidade" by Billy Ecstine, and "Desafinado" by Ella Fitzgerald) come from albums that are NOT bossa nova albums. I highly recommend this collection, and I am not generally a fan of compilations. I believe that it would take a good deal of time (and a great number of bossa nova album purchases) before you found this CD to be a redundant part of your music library.

If I had to choose a proper album, however, I would be hard pressed to decide between Getz/Gilberto and Jazz Samba. Cannonball's Bossa Nova is also excellent, and please do not overlook other albums that you have not listed, such as Wave, The Composer Plays, and Stone Flower by Antonio Carlos Jobim, as well as From the Hot Afternoon by Paul Desmond and Big Band Bossa Nova by Quincy Jones.

Edited by Edward

Here's how I see it.

I voted for Getz/Gilberto because I think it's a great portal to enter this music. there's lots of places to go here, but that first Jazz Samba record is just a great intro to this stuff . It's Jazz and it's Bossa ....and an easy intro to Tom Jobim.....

I'm a beginner at this too, but here's some good ones I've heard:

Baden Powell PERSONALIDAD

Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd JAZZ SAMBA

Stan Getz/Luiz Bonfa JAZZ SAMBA ENCORE

Lalo Schifrin BOSSA NOVA GROOVE

A compilation called "Bossa Nova Brasil" on Verve is fantastic.

Where's Jim R? He's got this stuff wired.

Well, I am a pretty serious fanatic, and have spent a lot of time researching and collecting over 400 Brazilian titles. So I do have a fairly well-formed opinion. I would have to say "none of the above". The one I would choose (a CD with 38 tracks that contains the earliest albums of Joao Gilberto) may not be the be-all and end-all for all serious Bossa Nova fanatics, but it's pretty close, IMO:

Gilberto-Legendary.jpg

Joao Gilberto "Chega De Saudade" (Odeon Brasil, 1959)

Joao Gilberto "O Mito" (EMI Brasil, 1988)

Joao Gilberto "The Legendary Joao Gilberto" (Capitol/World Pacific, 1990)

Joao Gilberto "38 Titres De Bossa Nova" (EMI/World Pacific-France, 1993)

The U.S. Capitol/World Pacific version from 1990 is OOP (a real travesty... imagine if "Kind Of Blue" were OOP- it's that unconscionable, IMO). Here's a brief write-up from http://www.slipcue.com/music/brazil/aa_albums/30best.html

which I think sums it up pretty well:

Bossa nova heaven. Guitarist and crooner Joao Gilberto's landmark recording, Chega De Saudade, was hailed as the first bossa nova album, a record that changed the course of musical history. The title track -- written by Antonio Carlos Jobim -- became an international hit, along with songs such as "Desafinado" and "Girl From Ipanema," which were recorded by U.S. jazz stars Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd. Still, Gilberto's original acoustic versions are the most captivating and magical, with the amazing economy which as the trademark of Gilberto's style. This album, along with his next two on Odeon, were gathered on a single, stunning CD (in the various versions listed above) yet, unfathomably, the record labels have allowed it to lapse out of print for over a decade now, depriving the world of one of its great musical jewels. Apparently it's due to some sort of idiotic licensing problem... Feel entitled to beg, cheat or burn a copy if you get a chance. It's crucial music.

The greatest and most important Bossa Nova performer of all time, IMO, and the 38 tracks include many of the most important songs by Jobim, Newton Mendonça, Vinicius De Moraes, Roberto Menescal, Carlos Lyra, Ary Barroso, Dorival Caymmi, Luiz Bonfa, and Gilberto himself. If you love it like I did (this was basically my inspiration for going on a serious buying rampage over the past 10+ years), it may always be at the top of your list, but it also possible to view it as just an important building block toward discovering the history and scope of this music, which includes all kinds of gems by a variety of artists (some fairly well known, and some you never heard of).

It has been available from Dusty Groove (via Spain, I believe) off and on over the past year or two with a slightly different cover:

ph_gilberto1.jpg

I think this release was issued as two separate CD's. Can't remember the details now, and it's not currently on their site.

End of rant (for now ;)).

Edited by Jim R

I started with the obvious, Getz/Gilberto, many years ago.

It certainly gave me the impetus to investigate the fusion between jazz and Brazilian rhythms.

My last Jobim based purchase was the 4CD set by Verve 'The Girl From Ipanema' which gathers Getz's bossa recording with Byrd etc.

I was particularly impressed with the Maria Toledo session.

Now, a damn good imitation ( no Brazilians, and no Getz) is Jim Tomlinson's 'Brazilian Sketches' on Candid. He's often known as Mr Stacey Kent and the missus sings on several tracks.

In the absence of Getz, he'll do fine.

From the poll choices you'd think bossa nova was a North American style.

I'm going to paste some suggestions I made in the past on Jazz Corner.

For a bossa nova collection, this one looks good, and the price is right ($11.98 list):

Bossa Nova Brasil (Verve)

1. Desafinado - Gal Costa

2. Telefone - Céu da Boca

3. Pra Iluminar - Leila Pinheiro

4. Ãcuas de Marco - Elis Regina

5. Manha de Carnaval - Luiz Bonfá

6. Coração Vagabundo - Gal Costa

7. Chega de Saudade - Antonio Carlos Jobim

8. De Conversa Em Conversa - João Gilberto

9. Pra Que Chorar - Alcione

10. Surfboard - Roberto Menescal

11. Boranda - Edú Lobo

12. Bom Conselho - Maria Bethania

13. Carta Ao Tom 74 - Vinícius de Moraes

14. Falsa Baiana - Gal Costa

15. Chuvas de Verão - Caetano Veloso

16. Retrato Em Branco E Prieto (Picture in Black and White) - Antonio Carlos Jobim

17. Agua De Beber - Tom Jobim/Astrud Gilberto

18. Consolação - Baden Powell

19. Quem Quiser Encontrar O Amor - Tamba Trio

20. Influência Do Jazz - Carlos Lyra

21. Girl from Ipanema - Stan Getz

22. Samba da Benção - Vinícius de Moraes

The best book on the subject is:

The Brazilian Sound: Samba, Bossa Nova, and the Popular Music of Brazil

by Chris McGowan, Ricardo Pessanha

For a nice 24/7 webcast of classic bossa & MPB, go to:

http://www.bossabrazil.com/

Then click Bossa Brazil on the channels list on the left.

It's streaming MP3s, with a choice of 128 or 24k streams, and there's a "Now Playing" box.

Originally posted by Reid

Has anyone heard the compilation, *Bossa Nova and Samba: Gold Edition*?

I haven't heard it, but it looks like a reasonable collection.

Track List

DISC 1 1. Samba Do Aviao / Antonio Carlos Jobim

2. Roda / Gilberto Gil

3. Samba Em Paz / Caetano Veloso

4. The Girl from Ipanema / Astrud Gilberto

5. Asa Branca / Luiz Gonzaga

6. Abre Alas / Ivan Lins

7. O Velho Francisco / Chico Buarque

8. Essa Moça Ta Diferente / Chico Buarque

9. Tarde Em Itapoan / Maria Bethania

10. Bem Bom / Gal Costa

11. Cançao So Sal / Milton Nascimento

12. O Ronco da Cuica / Joao Bosco

13. Anos Dourado / Maria Bethania

14. Canto de Ossanha / Baden Powell

15. Cinco Crianças / Edú Lobo

16. Bate Bate / Jos Barrense-Dias

17. Origens II / Filo

18. Meu Piao / Astrud Gilberto

19. Procissao / Gilberto Gil

20. Sai da Frente / Bateria Nota

DISC 2 1. Samba Do Veloso / Baden Powell

2. Catavento / Milton Nascimento

3. Mamae Eu Quero/Chica Chica Boom Chic / Astrud Gilberto

4. General da Banda / Ivan Lins

5. Sorte / Gal Costa

6. Bahianada / Jos Barrense-Dias

7. Portela, O Mundo Melhor de Pixinguinha / G.R.E.S. Imperio Serrano

8. Por Amor / Filo

9. De Frente Ao Crime / Joao Bosco

10. Soneto Do Amor Total/Samba Em Preludio / Vinicius De Moraes

11. Sei la ... A Visa Tem Sempre Razao / Antonio Carlos Jobim

12. Cavaleiro / Caetano Veloso

13. Agua de Beber / Quarteto em Cy

14. Pretinha / Marcello

15. Iemanja / Gilberto Gil

16. Cantando No Tor / Chico Buarque

17. Wave / Flavio Faria

18. Ultimo Desejo / Maria Bethania

19. Negro Negro / Edú Lobo

20. Muita Firmeza / Bateria Nota

I highly recommend Joyce's recent Bossa Duets album:

From Dusty Groove:

Joyce -- Bossa Duets

Magical work from the lovely Joyce -- a set of duets with some of her favorite players and singers -- some of our favorites too! The album has Joyce working in a stripped-down and intimate style -- vocals and acoustic guitar tripping out over gentle bossa rhythms, joined on various tracks by artists that include Joao Donato, Toninho Horta, Johnny Alf, Wanda Sa, and daughter Ana Martins. Given the presence of the older bossa luminaries, the album's got a sophisticated and mature sound that's quite nice, and in contrast to some of Joyce's other recent recordings -- a bit mellower, perhaps, but also more deeply thoughtful, and at many levels, sadder and wiser. Titles include "Lugar Comum", "Voce E Eu", "Yarabela", "Plexus", "London Samba", "O Sapo", "E Vamos La", and "Fa Da Bahia". And just in case you were wondering, all tracks are exclusive to this album -- recorded in 2003!

My local Borders had a copy of Astrud Gilbreto for Lovers at a listening station and I stopped for a listen. I realized I don't really have any Bossa Nova in my collection. Not even the obligatory Getz/Gilbreto. Should I run out and correct that immediately - and if so, what else am I missing?

By the way, IMO Astrud Gilberto should be on the bottom of your list.

If you can find this " Trip To Brazil: 40 Years of B N" Motor Music Germany 2 CD compilation it's well worth the hunt... perfectly mastered.

Triptobrazil-a.JPG

and don't forget some of the more forward looking brasil:

Gilberto Gil

Caetano Veloso

Tom Ze

Arto Lindsay

Marisa Monte

Carlinhos Brown

and a perfectly done piece by Ryuichi Sakamoto with the Morelenbaums recorded at Jobim's pad:

B00006FIBO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and a CTI send up!

I might even recommend the second Morelenbaum2 over the first!

486097.jpg

And I'll echo Jim's recommendation of the Gilberto cd, and his anguish that it is not in print! The Spanish version of this WAS released as two separate cds as far as I can tell. . . . How about an RVG? :)

Jim has been the most helpful person on the planet for all things bossa novan for me. . . . I'd like to thank him publicly, and say you should heed his words about the bossa!

Edited by jazzbo

From the poll choices you'd think bossa nova was a North American style.

I'm afraid that's true. No disrespect to anyone here, and no disrespect to Getz, Charlie Byrd, Cannonball, et al, but the heart of the music are the early recordings by the Brazilians.

For a bossa nova collection, this one looks good, and the price is right ($11.98 list):

Bossa Nova Brasil (Verve)

Not a bad collection, IMO, but I would recommend something a little more complete in its authenticity (Leila Pinheiro, Alcione, even Caetano are fine artists, but not part of the original movement).

A collection that was very helpful to me in getting familiar with a variety of artists who were important in Bossa Nova's early years is "Bossa Nova: Sua Historia, Sua Gente" (Philips/Polygram, Brazil):

f093052vu17.jpg

CD-1

1.SOFRER E DA VIDA -MARIO REIS

2.VOCE -DICK FARNEY E NORMA BENGEL

3.NOS E O MAR -DORIS MONTEIRO

4.SO DANCO SAMBA -DONATO E SEU TRIO

5.MOCINHO BONITO -BILLY BLANCO

6.SAMBA DO AVIAO -OS CARIOCAS

7.RIO -LUCIO ALVES

8.AS PRAIAS DESERTAS -ELIZETE CARDOSO

9.ULTIMO CANTO -AGOSTINHO DOS SANTOS

10.INFLUENCIA DO JAZZ -LENY ANDRADE

11.MINHA SAUDADE -TAMBA TRIO

12.POR TODA A MINHA VIDA -LENITA BRUNO

13.TRISTEZA DE NOS DOIS -LUIZ ECA

14.TEM MAIS SAMBA- QUARTETO EM CY

15.BORANDA -EDU LOBO C/ TAMBA TRIO

16.BERIMBAU -BADEN POWELL

17.THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA -STAN GETZ/JOAO GILBERTO/ASTRUD GILBERTO

18.CARTA AO TOM 74 -VINICIUS E TOQUINHO

CD-2

1.SAMBA DA PERGUNTA -JOAO GILBERTO

2.SAMBA DE VERAO -ROBERTO MENESCAL E SEU CONJUNTO

3.DEMAIS -MAYSA

4.FOLHA DE PAPEL -SERGIO RICARDO

5.CHORA TUA TRISTEZA -CONJUNTO OSCAR CASTRO NEVES

6.AO AMIGO TOM -CLAUDETTE SOARES

7.VOCE E EU -SYLVIA TELLES

8.COISA MAIS LINDA -CARLOS LYRA

9.ELA E CARIOCA -SERGIO MENDES E BOSSA RIO

10.MARIA MOITA -NARA LEAO

11.UPA NEGUINHO -LENNIE DALE

12.QUE MARAVILHA, CHOVE CHUVA, MAS QUE NADA -ZIMBO TRIO

13.DE PALAVRA EM PALAVRA -MPB-4

14.CHUVA -OS GATOS

15.TEMA DO BONECA DE PALHA -ROSINHA DE VALENCA

16.OLHA MARIA -CHICO BUARQUE

17.SO TINHA QUE SER COM VOCE -ELIS REGINA & TOM JOBIM

18.ANA LUIZA -TOM JOBIM

==========

Lon, thanks for those kind words. I must say, though, you and Pete have more knowledge (and probably better taste ;)) than I have in terms of your broader appreciation for the entire history of modern Brazilain music. Pete is one of the hippest guys I've come across in terms of being plugged in to current events in Brazilian muisc, so heed that guy's words too! :) We used to have some pretty good discussions at Jazz Corner when Joe Carter and Jose Domingos Raffaeli (and others) were actively posting. I haven't looked at those archived threads for awhile, but it might be a good place to look for more information (and Pete has kept the topic alive on the new board, of course!).

===========

BTW, if those Morelenbaum2/Sakamoto recordings aren't "the place to start" for Bossa Nova, they may very well be the place to end! Essential music, IMO.

I voted for Jazz Samba. Getz & Byrd make it definitive in my book.

Charlie Byrd was a terrific guitarist in many ways, but... I must say when it comes to Brazilian music, he never quite showed much understanding of the rhythmic aspects of the music. After listening to Joao Gilberto, Luiz Bonfa, Oscar Castro-Neves, Baden Powell, Roberto Menescal, Durval Ferreira, and any number of other veteran Brazilian guitarists, I find it kind of difficult to enjoy those Verve recordings with Byrd anymore.

Yeah, the M2S recordings are great, and I had the peasure of seeing them twice.

Jim, it looks like I'm gonna be able to catch Joao Bosco & Gonzalo Rubalcaba playing together at the Montreal Jazz Festival. Bosco is one of my favorite MPB artists.

Another good collection is The Story of Bossa Nova on Blue Note.

One of my favorite instrumental albums of the last couple of years, period, is the stunning Duo, by Cesar Camargo Mariano & Romero Lubambo, on Sunnyside.

For great jazz meets bossa piano, I think Camargo Mariano & Joao Donato are the two best.

Brits should look out for Monica Vasconcelos who regularly does the circuits in the UK.

She has two groups - a mid-sized band called 'Nois' and a quartet called 'As Meninas' - that operate in this territory.

Nois:

Mônica Vasconcelos : (Lead vocals, Percussion, Composition)

Steve Lodder : (Keyboards, Composition, Arranging)

Davide Mantovani : (Bass Guitars)

Ife Tonentino : (Guitar, Arranging, Composition)

Ian Pattinson : (Drums , Percussion)

Adriano Pinto : (Percussion, Drums)

Paul Jayasinha : (Trumpet, Flugel Horn, Composition)

Ingrid Laubrock : (Alto/Soprano Saxes, Backing Vocals)

Paul Nieman : (Trombone, Arranging & web site)

nois.jpg

oferenda.jpg

As Meninas

Mônica Vasconcelos : vocals, triangle

Ingrid Laubrock : saxophone, melodica, backing vocals

Chris Wells : escolinha de samba, backing vocals

Ife Tolentino : guitar, backing vocals

BomDia.jpg

Both groups include the wonderful Ingrid Laubrock who also does some nice Brazilian things on her solo albums...and much more besides.

Catch them at a festival near you one of these hot sunny days!

Bev, do you know about the Manchester-Sao Paulo Trama connection? A bunch of mostly younger artists who are combining American soul music (mostly seventies-oriented) with Brazilian sounds (and occasionally more contemporary hip hop and techno), who record for the S.P.-based Trama label seem to have caught on in the UK thanks to a DJ in Manchester who dug the stuff, and now Trama has a Manchester base too. Among the artists are Max de Castro & Wilson Simoninha (both sons of bossa singer Wilson Simonal), Jair Oliveira (son of Jair Rodrigues), and Ed Motta. Also, Joyce seems to have a bigger base in the UK than the US, and is connected with the Far Out label there. I almost made a trip to London a while back because Joyce & Ed Motta were playing back to back at the Jazz Cafe.

There are lots of full tracks available to listen to on the trama.com.br website. It ain't bossa, though.

London has a major Brazilian scene. A few years back I saw an amazing show at the Royal Albert Hall that featured Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Chico Buarque, Gal Costa, Virginia Rodrigues & Elza Soares, and the show also featured several London-based Escolas de Samba. It also seems that the kitchen staff at the London hotels I stay at are always Brazilian, and I always talk music with them.

I'm not as deep into Brasilian music as many here, but AS A STARTING POINT I'd reccomend the soundtrack to the film Black Orpheus (SP?). Lovely music by Bonfa, Jobim, etc. It was instrumental in spreading the word beyond Brasil and includes some earlier samba style(s) so you can hear what what was Nova about the Bossa... Now if someone would do a Brasil/celtic hybrid we could call it Bossa Nova Scotia! :P

Pete,

I'm not aware of the people you mention.

There's a whole Latin scene in the UK which seems more connected to the club scene than the jazz scene; all a bit young and dancey for me! I'm sure I'm missing a host of good music. There's also a big overlap into the 'World' music area which is very big here now.

I came across Nois by chance a few years back at the Brecon festival.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I'm not as deep into Brasilian music as many here, but AS A STARTING POINT I'd reccomend the soundtrack to the film Black Orpheus (SP?). Lovely music by Bonfa, Jobim, etc. It was instrumental in spreading the word beyond Brasil and includes some earlier samba style(s) so you can hear what what was Nova about the Bossa...

Yes, interesting that you mention that. When Jobim & Vinicius de Moraes wrote the original stage musical they were working within established samba traditions. Joao Gilberto's rhythmic innovations appeared shortly thereafter, and subsequent versions of the tunes from the show, and subsequent Jobim compositions, bore the bossa stamp from then on.

I voted for Jazz Samba.  Getz & Byrd make it definitive in my book.

Charlie Byrd was a terrific guitarist in many ways, but... I must say when it comes to Brazilian music, he never quite showed much understanding of the rhythmic aspects of the music. After listening to Joao Gilberto, Luiz Bonfa, Oscar Castro-Neves, Baden Powell, Roberto Menescal, Durval Ferreira, and any number of other veteran Brazilian guitarists, I find it kind of difficult to enjoy those Verve recordings with Byrd anymore.

I'm not so sure that Charlie didn't understand the rhythmic aspects of the music. Maybe he's not totally "authentic" to the traditional style. But so what. I've always viewed his playing in this genre as an "american" take on Brazilian music. I mean that in the best possible way. I think he kind of boils the music down to the core and puts his own personal stamp on it. It's really a wonderul thing (that cross-pollination) that he a handful of other musicians managed to do in the early 60's. That music took off and still remains popular to this day.

His bluesy, countryesque, lines add a real warmth to the music that you just didn't hear from other more "traditional" brazilian players at the time. Take a song like One Note Samba, he totally reharmonizes the first 8-bars in a beautifully simple, effective manner. It's certainly different than what Jobim would later record, but no less compelling to my ears. Charlie Byrd played like Charlie Byrd! That's cool in my book.