• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe Henderson - Double Rainbow (The Music Of Antonio Carlos Jobim) (Verve)

Ok, now that I've gotten the fact that I'm spinning this on vinyl out of the way, I have to ask, does anyone else have this? It's a promo, pressed as a limited, numbered edition out of 1,000. This copy I just picked up is number 648.

Was this session recorded digitally or analog? If it was recorded in analog, does anyone know if this LP is made from the analog or digital master?

BTW, it sounds great.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Just finished:

Duke Jordan - Flight To Jordan (Blue Note) - This is the latest Toshiba/Blue Note pressing. Analog or digital master? I'm still waiting for Cuscuna to find out.

Now spinning:

Jackie McLean - Consequence (Blue Note) - LT Rainbow LP. Sounds better than other rainbow LPs I've spun. The stereo is well distributed and the bass is almost audible.

Up next:

Various Artists - Anniversary (Xanadu)

Joe Henderson - Double Rainbow (The Music Of Antonio Carlos Jobim) (Verve)

Ok, now that I've gotten the fact that I'm spinning this on vinyl out of the way, I have to ask, does anyone else have this? It's a promo, pressed as a limited, numbered edition out of 1,000. This copy I just picked up is number 648.

Was this session recorded digitally or analog? If it was recorded in analog, does anyone know if this LP is made from the analog or digital master?

BTW, it sounds great.

Kevin

Nice ! :tup I think I've seen this in the shops only once, back in the day. Don't have it though. My guess is that it's a digital master.

Now spinning Kenny Wheeler 'Music For Large and Small Ensembles' (ECM, 2LP)

Edited by sidewinder

Both LPs sound fantastic. Does anyone have any other direct to disc jazz recordings?

Yes, I've got a few - and they can sound great.

Clifford Jordan/Cedar Walton 'The Pentagon', Joe Sample 'The Three' (both East Wind) and the Walt Dickerson on Steeplechase are three that come to mind.

Just finished:

Duke Jordan - Flight To Jordan (Blue Note) - This is the latest Toshiba/Blue Note pressing. Analog or digital master? I'm still waiting for Cuscuna to find out.

Up to revise my opinion on TOJJ 6501 Somethin Else Cannonball Adderley from this recent patch. Side 1 was fine and was the basis for my initially positive posting else where on this forum. Side 2 particularly track 2 is marred by very splashy cymbal sound, way to much high end, unlistenable in my view , so back it went . RVG is credit with the remaster which worries me that these may be digi masters, What ever this sounded bad.

TOJJ 6502 Cool and Struttin sounds great however, so there you go. For me 50 % hit rate is too low for discs that cost £29 over here, so I'm avoiding these now.

How's Duke's one ???

The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime - (OG 2xLP on SST)

I remember buying this when it first came out via mail order. SST records had a spotty, at best, distribution service and their records were very hard to find on the east coast. You usually had to buy the records at shows when their bands were touring. You prayed that the tour came to Philly before they hit NYC because all of the records would be gone if they played NYC first.

Edited by J.H. Deeley