Looking For Dexter Gordon Complete BN

I just checked jazzbo's info and it does appear that Blue Note is trying to reissue this but if they do, it'll be in a different package. Apparently, the old packaging cost a lot to produce (which is why it listed for $109 retail). Michael says they're looking into what it would take to put the discs into standard jewel boxes and printing the booklet in a way to fit into a different box. He said, "Like the Robert Johnson & Bessie Smith boxes that Columbia put out." They won't do it if they can't redo the packaging.

This would be good news for those trying to get their hands on it.

Later,

Kevin

If that is indeed the case, can someone explain to me why they just put out a 2 cd set of the best recording from his BN days?

To answer the original question, this set appears from time to time on Ebay so you may want to keep your eye on that.

As an aside, with the original packaging, I have trouble keeping the cds in the cd holders. Does anyone else have that problem.

As an aside, with the original packaging, I have trouble keeping the cds in the cd holders. Does anyone else have that problem.

Brad, I had that same problem with my Gordon set, which I have long since sold. I have the Herbie Hancock box set which is similarly packaged and my discs are always falling off the spindles. I have to be very careful when I open that box. It's also such an odd shape that it doesn't fit right anywhere in my Can-Am unit. If they reissue the Gordon box with standard jewel cases, I may opt to re-buy it.

BTW, speaking of that Gordon box, has anyone ever gotten a booklet without the back cover being torn?? ;)

Later,

Kevin

Yeah, I hate the packaging format of the Herbie and Dexter sets too. I've never owned the Dexter set, but the Herbie set is a royal pain in the ass. Same thing with the Bob Marley and Police box sets too.

Hopefully all of Herbie's output will be RVG-ed (with all the bonus tracks included), which would eliminate the need for the box set.

And about the booklet - my Herbie box booklet was torn when I first got it, right out of the shrinkwrap. Piss-poor design, if you ask me. The "complete Miles Davis" boxes on Columbia are far better, although some of what's in 'em is impossible to read, cuz the type is either too small, or (even worse!!) they print yellow text on top of a yellow background. :wacko::wacko::wacko: (In the "IASW" box). Who the fuck's idea what that!!! :angry::angry:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 year later...

Up.

Any news on the possibility of Blue Note reissuing the Dexter Gordon box with simpler packaging. The discussion above took place over a year ago but I have heard nothing since. Perhaps they could also reissue a cheaper version of the Herbie Hancock box at the same time.

BTW, speaking of that Gordon box, has anyone ever gotten a booklet without the back cover being torn??  ;)

Torn booklet here, and discs falling out all the time... nevertheless, I wouldn't want to be without the box or the booklet! The letters by Dex are priceless!

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Academy Records in NYC has it for $100.

I have an extra box set if anyone is interested (long story as to how I came about it). Was just about to offer it to Ralphie Boy who initiated this post when I noticed that he posted back in May of last year. Presumably he's copped it by now.