what did the miles davis 82 band sound like

Guest ariceffron

Guest akanalog

i don't feel qualified to respond, but i have some live recordings from this band and i don't have anything including any 70s material. so i can't really answer except to say that for some reason i really liked the band miles had around the time of "star people" even though as individuals i think most of the musicians are sort of lame-o's. i can imagine this band doing a nice version of "ife" though i have not heard anything like this myself.

i remember seeing a miles DVD which might have been from more around '85 or something from montreal or paris? where the band kicked off the show with a jack johnson jam. it was cool, with john scofield rocking hard, though the music then went down hill quickly. this was the band with miles' nephew on drums (who was not so great) and some guy on percussion ABUSING the wind chimes on like every song.

I saw Miles at his 1982 gig at Hammersmith Odeon, London. His first concert at Hamersmith since 1967 with Shorter and co. so expectations were high amongst the London crowd (this was the second night of a two or three night engagement I think). An atmosphere of major expectation that night. Memories are a bit hazy after all these years but the fraility of his appearance left a striking impression. He hobbled onto the stage with support of a stick (must have had a recurrence of the old hip problem), was a bit tentative at first but towards the end some of the old strength came back. Don't remember 'Ife' being played but it could well have been. What I do remember is 'My Man's Gone Now' and the inevitable 'Jean-Pierre' as the closer. The band, as I recall, featured Mike Stern pretty heavily and also Bill Evans. Al Foster I think was on drums.

Sounded nothing like the 'Agharta' band, by the way..

The next time I saw him was at the RFH in 1985. By that time Bob Berg was on sax and John Scofield was in the lineup. Al Foster I think had left by then (that gig must have been just before the 'Aura' recording). Miles played a bit of organ/synth on this one, with Robert Irving II also on board. He was looking in significantly better shape at this concert.

The best performance I saw from Miles though was in Toronto in 1990 at the Massey Hall. A fantastic performance, it was uncanny the way that he almost mezmerised the audience. I was right up front at this concert and it was fascinating the way that Miles directed the band members - almost like choreography.

Edited by sidewinder

If my memory is right, Aric, his comeback was in 1981 at Kix, Boston. Sure created a stir when news of that appearance came out, although I recall reading a report in Jazz Journal that he was already back in the studio working on 'Man With The Horn' prior to this gig.

Edited by sidewinder

There are many, many videos floating around of Miles concerts, from every year after his comeback, including 1982. I have a bunch from later in the 80's (that I got years ago, when I was in college around 1990), but remember seeing listed two or three full-length concerts on the "trade lists" of others, from every year in the 80's, including the early 80's.

The answer you seek is out there, for sure.

I heard Miles' band in September, 1981 at Concord Pavilion in Northern California. The band was Miles, Bill Evans on sax, Mike Stern, Marcus Miller, Al Foster, Mino Cinelu. As someone mentioned before, he played "My Man's Gone Now," "Jean-Pierre," and new things. Definitely did not hear "Ife."

I saw the same band as David in Stockholm and I don´t remember that they played any material from the 70´s but it was still a very good concert.

Miles Davis - 4/26/82 - Spring(Bootleg)

Trumpet- Miles Davis

Sax- Bill Evans

Guitar  - Mike Stern

Drums- Al Foster

Bass- Marcus Miller

Percussion- Mino Cinelu

Disc  1

Track 1.  Back Seat Betty(M. Davis)

Track 2.  My Man's Gone Now(D. Heyward-G. Gershwin)

Track 3.  Aida(M. Davis)

Disc  2

Track 1.  Ife(M. Davis)

Track 2.  Fat Time(M. Davis)

Track 3.  Jean Pierre(M. Davis)

available for free download here.

edit: sorry, that link does not work anymore!

ubu :w

Edited by king ubu

Yeah Miles resurrected "Ife"--live shows between 12/81' & 8/82'.

Mostly in the 2nd set medley of:Ife,Fat Time,Jean Pierre...

Sidewinder!--You heard it ,if you heard the 2nd set--Either concert 4/20/82.This show is listed as recorded on channel 4 TV as well!!

Thanks ! There was certainly some stuff that sounded familiar. I already knew the tune 'Ife' from the Big Fun double album (I think) which I'd bought some years before. Shame I can't recall more of the details. I was stood very well back in a capacity crowd. Not too distant from my university finals, hence the fact I haven't remembered more of it (aren't the best things in life always interupted by impending crises.. ! :D;) )

Caught the Miles Davis band when they played at the Theatre du Chatelet in the spring of 1982.

I attended more than a dozen concerts by Miles and this unit was probably the weakest. Don't think Bill Evans was the right sax player for Miles.

Milo Cinelu playing at home with Miles for the first time since he joined the band a few months earlier got a big hand!

Edited by brownie

I'm to much of a Davis' fan to be objective. Also I like fusion and jazz rock not less than traditional mainstreem and general bop (the "be", the "hard" and the "post"). This is why my opinion usualy clashes with most jazz fans. Miles' recordings from "Bitches Brew" are thought as inferior. His eightys stuff beeing seen as comercial and a sell out to the bones. I can't agree with this. His quintets are great and so are the works with later groups. There are always plenty of great solos. The cast at different times included people like:

Al Foster

Mike Stern

John Scofield

Marcus Miller

Bill Evans

Kenny Garret

"Star people" from 1982 is one of my favourite recordings. Although it contains a lot of blues I certainly don't think it's easy listening. Some parts sound really avaunt gard – ish. Miles plays well, maybe not as well as in the sixties but he is still quite powerfull. I recommend warmly this cd.

was 82 his big comback tour or did he tour in 80-81?

Miles' comeback was in 1979, so he was off the scene for four years. I remember seeing his comeback gig advertised in the New York Times as part of the Kool Jazz Festival. I said what the hey and mailed away for one ticket, not expecting much. I got 8th row center in Avery Fisher Hall, probably just because it was a single seat (the house sold out quickly). I remember Miles walking out...he looked so cool. I didn't recognize much of the band except Al Foster. Mike Stern was pudgy, and soloed way too long...Miles liked his style but had to cut off every Stern solo with a trumpet 'blat'...otherwise he would have just kept going. Marcus Miller was great, but Minu Cinelu was too expressive, playing to the cheap seats. Miles wandered the stage, and when something occurred to him, he soloed...it was inevitably beautiful. He also directed the band at the organ. I didn't recognize "My Man's Gone Now" at the show, only knew it was that when "We Want Miles" came out.

I didn't like "Star People," thought it was just some drawn out blues jams.

• 2 months later...

Miles Davis - 4/26/82 - Spring(Bootleg)

Trumpet- Miles Davis

Sax- Bill Evans

Guitar  - Mike Stern

Drums- Al Foster

Bass- Marcus Miller

Percussion- Mino Cinelu

Disc  1

Track 1.  Back Seat Betty(M. Davis)

Track 2.  My Man's Gone Now(D. Heyward-G. Gershwin)

Track 3.  Aida(M. Davis)

Disc  2

Track 1.  Ife(M. Davis)

Track 2.  Fat Time(M. Davis)

Track 3.  Jean Pierre(M. Davis)

available for free download here.

edit: sorry, that link does not work anymore!

ubu :w

link works again, so you'll finally get a chance... enjoy!

ubu

Cool link Ubu, theres a couple of other good shows on there too

April 9 1960 - one of the last shows with Trane & a real corker.

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Disco.aspx

GreenDolphin.jpg

Though I think some of the timings are wrong with those MP3s, no? Must check again, have some of these tracks on some cheapo CDs paired with more from that same tour.

ubu

Edited by king ubu