How do these japanese reissues sound?

Claude

As the $ exchange rate is very favorable for Europeans right now, I consider ordering some japanese imports directly in Japan (Mundo has it's prices in $). Most are albums not available on the domestic market, but a few would be upgrades of old CD reissues from the 80's.

Can someone comment on the sound of these japanese reissues, compared to the domestic release?

1) Miles Davis - Ascenseur Pour L'échafaud (Fontana PHCE-4181, 24bit 96kHz Spectrum) $19

2) Gil Evans - The Individualism of Gil Evans (Verve POCJ-2460, 24bit remastering) $19

3) Michel Legrand meets Miles Davis / Ben Webster/ Hank Jones / Donald Byrd / Paul Chambers / John Coltrane (Philips PHCE-3074, 24bit 96KHz remaster) $19 (seems to be the same material as on "Legrand Jazz")

4) Cecil Taylor - Live At The Cafe Montmartre 2CD (debut TKCB-71261, limited LP style paper sleeve edition) $36

5) Cecil Taylor - The World Of Cecil Taylor (Candid TECW-20594, limited LP style paper sleeve edition, Hi-Bit-Hyper mastering) $23

... and the Candid reissues in general (Cecil Taylor, Mingus)

6) Cecil Taylor - Looking Ahead! (Contemporary VICJ-2168, 20bit K2 mastering) $21

Thank you

Edited by Claude

Guest Mnytime

Claude

Where did you find these?

5) Cecil Taylor - The World Of Cecil Taylor (Candid TECW-20594, limited LP style paper sleeve edition, Hi-Bit-Hyper mastering) $23

4) Cecil Taylor - Looking Ahead! (Contemporary VICJ-2168, 20bit K2 mastering) $21

As Lon says the Miles sounds fantastic!

Edited by Mnytime

The Taylor Montmartre 2-disc set sounds very fine, especially considering the live ambience. The "alternate" tracks, however, are far muddier than the tracks originally selected for the album. That said, I'd buy it again if I went back in time. The original cover art is also very nice to have, and the liner notes from the time ('62) seem to me exceptionally insightful. I can't remember now, off the top of my head, who wrote them, but he also did the liners for the Debut release of Albert Ayler's "Ghosts." I'd say go for this package if you like Taylor's music. I like this one more than both his Blue Notes.

Claude

Where did you find these?

4) Cecil Taylor - Looking Ahead! (Contemporary VICJ-2168, 20bit K2 mastering) $21

As Lon says the Miles sounds fantastic!

Mny,

The Japanese Candids were reissued in November 2001 and November 2002, and some of them are now pretty hard to get.

The Victor 20-bit K2 VICJ-2000 series (jewel cases) was released before their VICJ-60000 series (mini-LP sleeves), but many of those discs are still available, i.e. Hiroshi Tanno could still get them for me, at least until recently.

Edited by J.A.W.