The Organ

Jazz Kat

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an organist, so I don't know. When I read a little article with a really long quote from Jimmy Smith saying how he hates when organists are too lazy to use the pedals, I got to wondering what they were even used for. What exactly do the pedals do?

Bass notes.

Jazz organ basslines are created usually by a combination of left hand bass on the lower manual (keyboard) and foot bass utilizing the foot pedals.

On ballads, sometimes the entire bass is pedals because you chord with one hand and play lines with the other.

Pre-Modern era guys, say Milt Buckner or Jackie Davis would play all foot pedal bass. The sound is very heavy and doesn't swing as much. The basslines were very chromatic as you would imagine.

How do the volume controls work?

More footpedals. (also...drawbars/stops?)

The light & dark wooden pedals laid out like a giant keyboard are the bass pedals.

The big metal pedals with rubber treads (looking like a car's brakes and accelerator) are volume pedals (right, B3-er?).

(I'm partial to the knee-lever volume control on a Farfisa -- just a nudge of your knee creates a swell -- a very satisfying gesture -- I'd like to see it on other instruments, but so far I've only seen it on sewing machines and Farfisas!)

One of the beautiful things about playing the B3 is that people are always so curious as to how the whole thing works and how it is played. Funny thing is, even after you explain it...people can still watch it...and STILL not get how the whole thing comes together to make music.

Also, every jazz organist has their own take on the whole operation. I've never seen 2 guys play it exactly the same way. Watching and hearing Dr. Lonnie Smith on organ is different than say Mel Rhyne, ect.

I want a B-3 soo bad!

Oh, I didn't know you wanted to become a funiture mover. ;)

Be careful what you ask for. Guitar is a much lighter instrument to gig on. I spend a good deal of every gig; hooking up my trailer, transporting, loading (trailer, stairs, stages), setting up, breaking down, unloading (stages, stairs, trailer), transporting, unhooking my trailer. It's a LOT of work. Somewhere in there I manage to play 2 or 3 or 4 sets of music. Needless to say, I'm very, very, very tired and 50 bucks richer by the end of the night (oh yeah, then you pay $200 to the organ repairman for a net loss of $150 B-) ).

In contrast, the guitar player shows up about 10 minutes before we hit (long after I needed a hand loading in) and splits right after the last set. He's home by the time I'm getting the organ back in the trailer.

And don't forget, you're not just hauling a 350 pound organ. There's the Leslie, heavy (and awkward) pedals, bench and then your little cable bag. At least 5 trips to the trailer and back coming and going. (Oh yeah, the you get to PARK the trailer and car. Finding a double spot is near impossible most of the time. Parking garages will charge you double the single car amount).

I think you get the picture. Anyway, stick to guitar and you'll thank me later. :g

Oh yeah, but I love it anyway. :D

Edited by Soul Stream

I want a B-3 soo bad!

Oh, I didn't know you wanted to become a funiture mover. ;)

Be careful what you ask for. Guitar is a much lighter instrument to gig on. I spend a good deal of every gig; hooking up my trailer, transporting, loading (trailer, stairs, stages), setting up, breaking down, unloading (stages, stairs, trailer), transporting, unhooking my trailer. It's a LOT of work. Somewhere in there I manage to play 2 or 3 or 4 sets of music. Needless to say, I'm very, very, very tired and 50 bucks richer by the end of the night (oh yeah, then you pay $200 to the organ repairman for a net loss of $150 B-) ).

In contrast, the guitar player shows up about 10 minutes before we hit (long after I needed a hand loading in) and splits right after the last set. He's home by the time I'm getting the organ back in the trailer.

And don't forget, you're not just hauling a 350 pound organ. There's the Leslie, heavy (and awkward) pedals, bench and then your little cable bag. At least 5 trips to the trailer and back coming and going. (Oh yeah, the you get to PARK the trailer and car. Finding a double spot is near impossible most of the time. Parking garages will charge you double the single car amount).

I think you get the picture. Anyway, stick to guitar and you'll thank me later. :g

Oh yeah, but I love it anyway. :D

You sound like my drum teacher. He's like man, these trumpet players come in, put their mouth piece in, than go get a drink. I just started to tune my snare drum.

Yeah - that little baby of yours can PLAY the Hammond, but what about loading it up and gigging?

(I can just see the graphics guys scrambling to take on this challenge)

Mike

I haul it around for her. Just like my dad helped me haul mine before I had the proper vehicle. It's all about fatherly love and support! :)