mikeweil

Los Ritmos Calientes - The Cal Tjader Forum

184 posts in this topic

A fellow board member loaned me his VHS tape and I transferred it to avi format. It's not the best quality, but if you really want it I think we can figure out a way ...

Since most links in older posts are dead, here are new YouTube links to the videos showing Tjader's band live:

Cal Tjader on "Playboy's Penthouse," with Mongo and Willie. 

They do "Cubano Chant," "Poinciana," and "Doxy."

I've never seen any Cal Tjader footage from this period before!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

That's Lonnie Hewitt and Eddie Coleman on piano and bass, respectively. S. Duncan Reid and myself knew of this footage but never had seen it. 

4 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

That's Lonnie Hewitt and Eddie Coleman on piano and bass, respectively. S. Duncan Reid and myself knew of this footage but never had seen it. 

You're welcome! Either have I! We bought the first volume of the Playboy DVDs. This was on volume 2, which quickly went out of print. 

What a wonderful era, when jazz was presented style, elegance, and sophistication!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Thanks for making it available. It was recorded in November 1959 and aired January 3, 1960.

It is surprising that so few private video- or audiotapes of Tjader exist, as popular as he was. Just a handful.

9 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Thanks for making it available. It was recorded in November 1959 and aired January 3, 1960.

It is surprising that so few private video- or audiotapes of Tjader exist, as popular as he was. Just a handful.

Yeah, everything on YouTube that I've seen dates from jazz's depressing muttonchop sideburns/chest hair period. 

Just received my reference copy of the second edition of S. Duncan Reid's Cal Tjader biography:

41H9dhYdm0L.jpg

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/cal-tjader2/

More detailed than the first edition. Support the author and get a copy!

Edited by mikeweil

BTW - anybody interested in the new edition should get one fast! The author informed me that the first printing was only 150 copies ........