Pardon my ignorance but...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GregM

Have you heard the Walton on the Szell Mahler 10 disc, or the Stravinsky [edit--I mean Shostakovich] on the Hilary Hahn violin concertos?

Edited by GregM

Nope. I have been scoring so many choice classical lp's for .50 to $1 that I haven't kept up.

I did read something about a Shostakovich piano concerto sacd that was worth getting.

I have close to 75 or so Living Stereo, Merc Living Pres, London Blue Backs and others so I usually pull those out but would like to hear some new performances.

Guest GregM

Actually, the Hahn is a Shostakovich violin concerto, not Stravinsky.

Yeah, I scored an enormous amount of classical wax at 49¢ a pop. I've listened to a couple, but the vast majority still need to be scrubbed on my cleaner which isn't even plugged in at the moment. My friend schooled me in what to look for in terms of valuable Living Stereo, Columbia, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Greg, I was really stunned. I have a decent set-up, Rotel amp/pre-amp and Energy speakers, and it has never sounded so good. I know this album inside and out and it was like hearing it for the first time. And I am usually pretty skeptical.

Any other Miles SACDs worth checking out?

Eric

Guest GregM

Yes, SACDs are stunning. My brother's friend, a sax player who listens religiously on his brother-in-law's stereo (Linn gear/B&W speakers) and swore up and down it was the best system in the world finally took me up on my invitation to listen to my system. We listened to the Friday/Saturday Night in Person at the Blackhawk JSACDs and he was shocked. He said he can't listen to the other system now (no SACD). These Blackhawks are two of the best (and include the complete Hank solos). But JSACDs are expensive. I'll list all the Miles I have on SACD. The Black Beauty and the Jazz at the Plaza are not good recordings to begin with, but far better on SACD than CD. Some also complain about Sketches of Spain. IMO there is not a loser in the bunch. . .as you say, like having the musicians in the room, incredible presence and detail.

Cookin

Steamin

Round About Midnight

Miles Ahead

Porgy and Bess

Milestones

Jazz at the Plaza

Kind of Blue

Sketches of Spain

In Person: Friday Night at the Blackhawk

In Person: Saturday Night at the Blackhawk

Someday My Prince Will Come

Quiet Nights

Seven Steps to Heaven

Four and More

My Funny Valentine

ESP

Miles Smiles

Sorcerer

Nefertiti

Filles de Kilimanjaro

In a Silent Way

Tribute to Jack Johnson

Bitches Brew

Black Beauty

Live/Evil

Big Fun

On the Corner

Get Up with It

Dark Magus

Guest GregM

Many of them were given to me by a good friend living in Nagoya. I bought the rest at hmv.co.jp which is expensive, but the service (shipping via FedEx) is impeccable and fast.

Eric,

Invest the yen in the "Someday My Prince..." JSACD. Trane's solo on the title track will absolutely knock you out. I've heard that solo a thousand times, but the SACD reveals nuances in his phrasing that I had never before picked up.

I received a Sony SCD-XA777ES today (1600€ on ebay.de). I put on my favourite SACDs: Bill Evans, Art Pepper, Chet Baker, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins (all on Analogue Productions), Bob Belden. I was really surprised be the enormous improvement over my previous mid-fi Sony SCD-XB770QS (400€). Much more detail, microdynamics, and space between the instruments.

So maybe I can reevaluate my previous SACD assessment. I'm still not impressed by "Kind of Blue" and "Miles smiles". And the big Sony sounds terrific with CDs too. It also makes me wonder if SACD is of any use with cheaper players.

Edited by Claude

OK, I will try to make this my one and only time I gush about SACD.... :wub:

I just took the plunge and bought the Denon DVD-2900 universal player (note: this player uses separate circuitry for SACD).

I also fell victim to buying yet another version if Kind of Blue.

Listening to this SACD I felt as if I was finally hearing the music rather than a recording of the music. WOW! Unbelievably life-like. The cymbals sounded like cymbals, very metallic. The horns were also incredible, very crisp.

The multi-channel layer was my favorite although the stero layer was also much improved.

I also listened to The Police: Syncronicity. Again, the music had a whole new feel. There were sounds coming at me that I never knew were there before.

I've got a modest system:

Denon AVR-3000 receiver

Denon DVD-2900 player

Klipsch Synergy Speakers (front, center, surround, sub)

To my ears SACD is well worth the investment.

Matt, what did you compare the KoB SACD to? The first CD release (horrible sound) or the late 90's remastered version? The latter sounds very close to the SACD, the main difference being that the saxes are more forward in the mix.

The difference between CD and SACD are never that spectacular, when they have a similar remastering.

Claude: I compared the SACD to the most recent remastering of KoB. And I did notice an improvement in sound on the stereo layer. Not earth shattering, but it did sound more natural too me.

I REALLY liked the multichannel layer though. Of course it then becomes an apples-to-oranges comparison. I just felt like I was right there in the studio with the multichannel mix.

Guest GregM

The difference between CD and SACD are never that spectacular, when they have a similar remastering.

Based on what? I've done careful comparisons with about 150 different SACD titles, controlling for polarity, different versions and masterings on highly resolving systems and I strongly disagree with you. The differences are significant, even when the same mastering is used for the CD and SACD content, e.g., the Analogue Productions and ABKCO titles. Now if you're saying that you or your system are not capable of noticing the differences, that's another matter.

Edited by GregM

Based on what? I've done careful comparisons with about 150 different SACD titles, controlling for polarity, different versions and masterings on highly resolving systems and I strongly disagree with you. The differences are significant, even when the same mastering is used for the CD and SACD content, e.g., the Analogue Productions and ABKCO titles. Now if you're saying that you or your system are not capable of noticing the differences, that's another matter.

People can disagree with you Greg. You don't have to get so defensive. Claude is certainly entitled to his opinion... he probably has as many SACDs as you. No need to act as if he's insane! :D

I also don't find a lot of improvement in every SACD I've bought. Subtle improvements sure, but not many of them have had me dropping my jaw, like I did with the JRVG redbook CD of "Basra"... well, maybe Adderley's "You Know What I Mean".:)

Also, when talking about "Kind of Blue", I am not hearing that much difference between the recently remastered (US) CD and the MC SACD. If you factor in the Japanese DSD CD, the difference becomes even less. Shades of improvement... more detail here, less bass there, a little more tape hiss here, etc. Little stuff.

BTW, I also don't hear anyway near the improvement that you hear with Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters", a disc I play all the time (in both versions all over the house). To my ears, this one is close to identical, especially at the volume I usually listen at... at least when the wife isn't home.

Another SACD series which seems marginally improved is The Police discs. Yes, they are better, but nowhere near as good as I thought they would be.

Sadly, I also bought Peter Gabriel's greatest hits SACD "Shaking the Tree". Holy moly, does this stink.

Not to be entirely negative, many of the Analogue Productions SACDs knock my socks off. "Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section" and "Saxophone Collossus" never sounded better. "Way Out West" has some competition from the XRCD. There's Sonny Clark's Time SACD. There's Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". There's Peter Gabriel's "Passion". All of these sound phenomenal and many are much better sounding than their CD counterpart. However, many of the CDs I have to compare these to are ancient. It seems to me that when I compare an SACD to a newly remastered CD, there seems to be much less dramatic differences.

Opinions vary.

Later,

Kevin

Guest GregM

Yes, opinions do vary, but I will argue tooth and nail with anyone who maintains "The difference between CD and SACD are never that spectacular, when they have a similar remastering." That is just bullshit. If Claude substantiated that with any titles, system info or other qualifiers I would be a lot more forgiving. I went OFFENSIVE, not defensive. With SACD, there is nothing to defend. The format goes audibly beyond what CD can do.

BTW, I disagree with you that DSotM is any more of an improvement with some others you panned.

Yeah, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I'm entitled to point out when their opinion flies in the face of what I and others hear.