NHL Season cancelled

ejp626

I don't understand these "suggestions"-the game isn't the problem; there is no need to internationalize the game and remove the red line, increase the rink, etc. The game is exciting as it is. We don't need lots of scoring-it's not basketball. Good hockey is defensive, hard-fought scoring chances, not a shootout. The problem is the boneheaded commissioner and the ridiculous expansion. Contract some of these southern teams, leave the game's rules, etc, alone

I miss it. It was just as well that the two sides couldn't reach an agreement because the season was pretty much in the crapper anyway. The two sides need to cool down for awhile,get back to the table and get a deal done and the sooner,the better because they have a SHITLOAD of damage control to do. The guys I really feel bad for are guys like Chelios,Yzerman and Messier all of whom may never play again.

The only team sport I really have any energy for is college football. These guys play with heart and aren't getting paid for it.

Don't be so sure about that. ;)

Actually, the thing I like about pro sports is that they're up front about the money.

Whereas in college, you'd have athletes getting free food, which was much better than what students paid for (if you bought a dorm cafeteria package.) Jobs would be given which they didn't have to do yet they'd get paid. Papers would get written for them, they'd pass tests were never taken. Oh not all of the jocks mind you, but the more important ones would. And then there are cases of direct payment as well. And given the money the colleges make off of them, there might as well be some cash passed around, rather than all of the other nonsense. It may depend on the school and the time, but throw in the tax dollars involved (occurs in pro sports too) and in the end, give me the greedy professional athlete any day! :lol:

Greg - Don't get me wrong, I"m a purist just like you. The game as its now played is fine with me. However, I still disagree with your contention that the problem isn't the game itself. I think if hockey is going to survive, much less thrive, the key is finding ways to increase revenues and that means something has to happen with television. Even though the sport does not lend itself particularly to well to that medium, what every fan seems to want is more excitement and more scoring. The suggestions I made are designed to create both while not tinkering with the essentials of the game. You want to talk excitement. I'm sure you've been to games where a penalty shot has been called. There's not a butt in a chair when that happens. A shoot out would be the equivalent of ten penalty shots. If that doesn't get you going, call your cardiologist.

In the long run, it's possible the cancelled season will be a good thing, if hockey takes the opportunity to get introspective and has a hard look at itself. Not only are there rule changes that need to be made, but I think the league needs to divest itself of at least a half a dozen franchises, if not more. I'm not advocating going back to original six hockey, but in this case, smaller is better.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

From www.freestanlely.com:

PRESS RELEASE! For Immediate Release: Wednesday January 19, 2005

Free Stanley legal opinion backs call for a Stanley cup challenge in 2005

Free Stanley, the Edmonton-based movement to restore the Stanley Cup Challenge, has received a legal opinion that could pave the way for Stanley Cup playoffs - even if the NHL season is cancelled. According to Roderick C. Payne Jr., a partner in the law firm Hustwick Wetsch Moffat & McCrae, the current trustees have independent control of the cup - not any league, the NHL included.

The original conditions, as set out by Lord Stanley, stated the cup was to remain a challenge cup and not become the property of any team even if won more than once. In addition, Lord Stanley stated that in case of any doubt as to the right of any club to claim possession, the cup would be awarded by the trustees as they might think right, their decision being absolute.

The legal opinion, obtained by Free Stanley, indicates the current trustees are duty-bound to award the cup each year. Lord Stanley is quoted as stating: "I am willing to give a cup that shall be annually held by the winning club of the Dominion."

And finally, the 1947 agreement where trustees purportedly delegated authority over the Stanley Cup to the NHL, is, in the opinion of Roderick Payne, invalid:

The simple fact the trustees sought to relieve themselves of the duty of custody as to who should compete for the Stanley Cup is not, in our view, sufficient to suggest the NHL has control over the trophy. The trustees were not entitled to delegate their powers and discretion in such matters and the agreement is not valid at law. Moreover, the present trustees have a duty, in our view, to seek to set aside the agreement and restore the terms of the trust.

Free Stanley now calls on all hockey fans to vote on our website poll and help the trustees fulfill their duties. Restore the Challenge! vote here

Download the 13-page legal opinion in PDF format - click here

Requires Adobe reader

For more information, call Tom Thurston (780-453-9105).

My brain agrees with Soul Stream. How much of our time is wasted on sports in this country? When it should be wasted on sex! Er...I mean jazz!

But my heart hopes hockey will listen to Dave. Eliminating the stupid fighting, loosening the game up to make it more like the European version where skill and finesse count for more than brute strength and size would go a long way to making a better and more interesting game. You'd think the popularity of Gretzky would have clued in a few people in charge, but no....

Hi All,

Quick answer: HELL YEAH I MISS HOCKEY!!!

I grew up in Canada, and it is far more than just a "sport" to Canadians. In many ways, it makes up a huge part of the Canadian national identity. Want proof? When the Canadian government decided to update their currency, they actually made hockey the main focus of the back of the 5-dollar bill... Complete with illustrations and a quote of the importance of hockey to Canadian youth.

I ask you: would the U.S. ever consider putting ANY sport on the back of their currency? Not likely! But hockey means that much to Canada!

And I've got to comment on a few other things. Most Canadians I know (and I know there's research data to support this, but can't cite references off the top of my head right now) think that the game of hockey is fine without having to impose all of the "major" rule changes that have been proposed. Some minor tweaking of the rules is fine, but many of the major changes that have been suggested just aren't necessary. Most Canadians I know think that the suggested major changes are just a way to try and attract a larger U.S. audience, and to snag a large TV deal with a major U.S. network... in other words, the game itself is "selling its soul" in the quest for American approval.

I say leave the game as it is. It will change and evolve on its own (sport always does), and the days of high-scoring hockey will return.

To the owners and players: WORK THIS OUT NOW!!! :rmad:

Cheers,

Shane --- Grew up in Calgary, and now that the Flames are good again (missed hoisting the Stanley Cup by one goal last year) I'm denied a chance to see them!