Finnish Jazz

Guest che

I'm a big fan of Finnish Jazz which has a long an glorious history.

I like musicians like Juhani Aaltonen and Erio Kovistoinen, and the late percussionist Edward Wesala.

More recently I have discovered works by Samuli Mikkonen and Alexi Tuomarila.

So do you share my interest in Finnish Jazz? And what are the albums that you would recommend?

Che.

I'd like some recommendations too, for sure. Always been curious about Aaltonen, and have heard a little Vesala - he's a great drummer.

Maybe someone will reissue the Brotzmann-Aaltonen-Kowald-Vesala record, Hot Lotta, which I've heard is mind-blowing.

Any sites or people that you guys recommend?

Edited by clifford_thornton

It's worthwhile to check out all of the Finnish Blue Note releases. They're released under EMI, but at the moment I don't know of any sites that would sell them worldwide.

- Jukka Perko, Severi Pyysalo & Teemu Viinikainen: "Kuunnelmia" (2004)

- Jukka Perko: "Music Of Olavi Virta" (2000)

- U-Street All Stars: "Bowling" (2004) and "Helsinki Sessions" (2002)

- Trio Töykeät: "High Standards" (2003)

- Severi Pyysalo & Antti Sarpila: "New Moods, New Sounds" (2001)

Some selections from Fiasko Records:

- Kari Ikonen: "Karikko" (2001)

- Gnomus' releases

- Gourmet's releases.

For more electric taste, these two are also worth checking out, essential and influential in the so called "nu-jazz" scene. Dusty Groove has both.

- Nuspirit Helsinki: "Nuspirit Helsinki" (2002, Guidance Records)

- Teddy Rok Seven: "Universal Four" (2004)

The FIMIC website has some basic info.

Here's a few artists I recommend:

- Jukka Perko (alto sax)

- Eero Koivistoinen (tenor sax)

- Teppo Mäkynen (drums)

- Severi Pyysalo (vibes)

- Jarmo Savolainen (piano)

- Jukkis Uotila (drums & piano)

- Mikko Innanen (various reeds)

For more electric taste, these two are also worth checking out, essential and influential in the so called "nu-jazz" scene. Dusty Groove has both.

Kari, exactly what is meant by the term "nu-jazz"? I'm interested!

Kari, exactly what is meant by the term "nu-jazz"? I'm interested!

nu jazz is an umbrella kind of term for all those electronic musics with a jazzy vibe. It ranges from loop-based house and trip hop (e.g. Jazzanova, stuff in the Pork label, some of the Ninja Tune label) to improvised music with electronic means (e.g. Cinematic Orchestra, Jaga Jazzist).

Thanks, John. I can go there sometimes, actually.

My son is a BIG fan of Jaga Jazzist, and what I've heard of them has not been unattracitve.

if you go over to the Ninja Tune website ( http://www.ninjatune.net ), you can find *a lot* of samples to have a taste plus many links to artist pages all over the web. I have been out of the loop here for some time and don't recognise many of the names.

Edited by couw

http://www.nuspirit.com/

http://www.texicalli.net/Teddy Rok Seven.htm

with samples here

Edited by couw

Thanks for that link, John. I'll hip Charlie to it, and see what he pulls up.

I kinda like having my kid hip me to cool stuff. Makes us both feel good.

Qouth Charlie, just now:

"Dad, I've already been to the ninjatune website."

These kids today, I tell ya.... :g

(but there's other sites linked here he's NOT been to, so hey...)

Both Nuspirit Helsinki and Teddy Rok 7 are bands that use live instruments instead of any loops and/or machines. Nuspirit is a collective of dj's and musicians, but the dj's don't play with the band live. They have a live band with a three piece horn section and strings. The guys that play in both groups are the crop of young Finnish musicians. In that sense they're more closer to artists like the Cinematic Orchestra or other stuff that comes from Germany (Compost Records and Sonar Kollektiv), not that close musically to Ninja Tune stuff really. Dusty Groove calls Teddy Rok 70's soul jazz with a club music aesthetic - that's pretty close, maybe with some afro influences added in there (Fela seems to be big in the "nu" scene).

Quality stuff, I'll tell ya! ;) Maybe not "jazz" per se; Nuspirit at least is more soul and r'n'b than jazz. Nuspirit is available here --> http://www.33rpm.com/index.php?page=detail&id=3104 (with samples) and Teddy Rok can be bought from D.G.

Just received a copy of Lill' lisa by Kari Heinila,a not atypical nordic stylist on tenor and soprano,with Severi Pyysalo on vibes-the great Vesala on drums(must've been one of his last recordings)and fellow Sound and Fury bass player Uffe Krokfors.It's on Abovoice and any fans of the scandinavian style a la ECM won't be dissappointed(mixed and mastered by Jan Erik Konghshaug).

I've a few sets by Trio Toykeat(yet another great piano trio who are probably doing more interesting stuff than EST right now)but will be searching hard for the new one.Mostly Finnish representation in my collection comes from Vesala and the various Sound & Fury offshoots.They toured the UK just once,in the mid 90's,and promoters CMN billed the group as evoking the beauty of his(Vesala's)native Finland.This drew the punters in,but those of us in the know were aware that that was only part of the story.The gig I caught kicked off with three of those driving motoric workouts and there was a queue forming at the exit.Those of us who stayed were rewarded with a helluva gig(apart from my partner who fell asleep!!!),sadly they never returned to these shores.

US/Finnish guitarist's Raoul Bjorkenheim Krakatau projects are well worth checking out,as well as his work with Paul Schutze's Phantom City(fans of Dark Magus Miles will lap this up)and the current Scorch Trio where he's supported by Paal Nilssen Love and Ingebrigt Haker Flaten.

Anybody know if the releases on Vesala's own Leo Records will ever see the light of day on CD?I've quite a few on tape including pre-ECM Sound & Fury sets and work by his quartet with Tomasz Stanko.

I am a big fan of Edward Vesala's music which seems to integrate improvisation and composition.

I have 'Lumi' which is fantastic, 'Invisible Strom' which is even better. The opening track on this album is great, and 'Ode To The Death of Jazz'.

Che.

It's worthwhile to check out all of the Finnish Blue Note releases. They're released under EMI, but at the moment I don't know of any sites that would sell them worldwide.

- Jukka Perko, Severi Pyysalo & Teemu Viinikainen: "Kuunnelmia" (2004)

- Jukka Perko: "Music Of Olavi Virta" (2000)

- U-Street All Stars: "Bowling" (2004) and "Helsinki Sessions" (2002)

- Trio Töykeät: "High Standards" (2003)

- Severi Pyysalo & Antti Sarpila: "New Moods, New Sounds" (2001)

Some selections from Fiasko Records:

- Kari Ikonen: "Karikko" (2001)

- Gnomus' releases

- Gourmet's releases.

The FIMIC website has some basic info.

Here's a few artists I recommend:

- Jukka Perko (alto sax)

- Eero Koivistoinen (tenor sax)

- Teppo Mäkynen (drums)

- Severi Pyysalo (vibes)

- Jarmo Savolainen (piano)

- Jukkis Uotila (drums & piano)

- Mikko Innanen (various reeds)

Those Finnish Blue Note cds are sold at www.ariman.fi

I checked the prices for those cds:

Kuunnelmia: 19.50 Euros

Olavi Virta: 11.20 Euros

Bowling: 11.20 Euros

High Standards: 11.20 Euros

New Moods: 11.20 Euros

They can be contacted at myynti@ariman.fi . They accept VISA,Mastercard and other major credit cards.

Some personal thoughts on one Fiasko Records cd. This one is great!

http://www.fiaskorecords.com/records/FRCD-19.en.php

I heard this about a week ago when they had a gig in my hometown.What a show.Esa Onttonen has composed several songs on that cd and they remind me of Mingus' "Tijuana Moods". Esa is the one who maintains http://webusers.siba.fi/~eonttone/mingus/ . He's a real Mingus freak.I've discussed with him briefly on couple of occasions and he is a walking library when it comes to Mingus,his recordings and life in general.

Oh yeah..there are sound clips of Gourmet available at:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/gourmet2

• 4 weeks later...

Just been playing the wondeful album by Jarmo Savolainen - "John's Sons", I had forgotton how good this album was.

A wonderful piece of improvisation from a very goof trio.

Che.

Just been playing the wondeful album by Jarmo Savolainen - "John's Sons", I had forgotton how good this album was.

A wonderful piece of improvisation from a very goof trio.

Che.

I have towatch my typing, to many busted fingers from playing rugby :rolleyes:

I meant 'good' and not goof!

Che

• 14 years later...

Thanks for the Info.

I add here my little stock - I'm more on the big band side:

CD    Johansson,Marku    The first seven UMO Bigband plays BAT    1991    Beta    4028         Finland
CD    Kosimäki,Jouni    Natura nihil agit frustra    1989    Joko    001    ld    Finland
CD    Linnavalli,Esko    UMO Bigband plays M.R.Abrahams    1989    UMO    101    ld    Finland
 LP    Linnavalli,Esko    UMO Jazz Orchestra plays Koivistonen & Linkola    1985    Finnlevy    5123    cond    Finland
CD    Saari,Jarmo a.o.    Finnish Jazz 1995    1995    Finnish Jazz    904    div    Finland
CD    Sampler    Finnish Jazz 1991    1991    Finjazz    903         Finland
CD    Sarmanto,Heikki    UMO Jazzorchestra "KALEVALA FANTASY"    1987    Finlandia    599362    ld    Finland
CD    Sarpila,Annti    UMO Jazz Ochestra live in concert    1991    AS    005    cl/ld    Finland
 LP    Sopanen,Hannu    Imatra Bigband    1987    Imatra    003         Finland