What 78 are you spinning right now ?

Clunky

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spent a nice half hour with some traditional jazz 78s:

Art Hodes' Jazz Record Six: Wolverine Blues/Someday, Sweetheart (Jazz Record) Nice 1946 Dixieland on Hodes' label. I like trumpeter Henry Goodwin and Steve Lacy's teacher, Cecil Scott, on this one. I bought this record in New Orleans, and it has a sticker on the label with Joe Mares' name and address. He was the owner of Southland Records, and the brother of NORK trumpeter Paul Mares. I have several of his records; some have the key of the tune written on the sleeve.

The Gulf Coast Seven: Daybreak Blues/Fade Away Blues (Columbia) I've mentioned this 1923 record before - I like it a lot, particularly Gus Aiken's trumpet playing.

Chas. Creath's Jazz-O-Maniacs: Pleasure Mad/Market Street Blues (Okeh) St. Louis jazz from 1924. "Pleasure Mad" is an early Sidney Bechet tune.

Charles Thompson: The Lily Rag/Derby Stomp; Delmar Rag/Lingering Blues (American Music) Outstanding St. Louis ragtime and blues, recorded by Bill Russell in 1949. These were the originally issued takes, but for reasons too convoluted to go into, they are not the takes used on the Dink Johnson/Charles Thompson American Music CD.

post-11697-126929670657_thumb.jpg

I HAD A CHEWY MOMENT WITH A NEW 78!

Chewy, my friend, I have loved reading your posts since I've joined this forum. Your enthusiasm over finding rare issues is a lot of fun to read. And this afternoon, I had a moment you would have loved.

I stopped by the local record store that has a big pile of 78s this afternoon. Mark, the owner, had put some new ones out, including some real finds. I cleaned and played three of them tonight, and wow!

Collins and Harlan - Memphis Blues/Alabama Jubilee (Columbia) This one is by two white vaudeville performers, but I could tell from the label that this was a very early recording of "Memphis Blues." I thought it might even be the first recording of the tune, but a little research revealed that this 1915 record was the fifth or sixth recording of the tune - only the second vocal version. Listening with sympathetic ears, I can hear how this tune shook up a lot of folks in 1914 and 1915.

Big Bill Broonzy and His Chicago Five - I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town/Hard Hearted Woman (Okeh) More from the same session with the great Punch Miller on trumpet that I mentioned in post #143.

And here's my Chewy moment:

I picked up American Music #512 by Bunk Johnson (Swanee River/Runnin' Wild) because it was cheap and cool, but I was thinking, "Well, I have this stuff on CD." But I checked out Mike Hazeldine's book Bill Russell's American Music, and saw that:

ONE SIDE OF THIS 78 HAS NEVER BEEN REISSUED!

There have been two takes of "Swanee River" issued in the American Music CD series, but neither one used the original 78 take. And somehow, Storyville, Dan, Wolf, and all the other labels that have issued American Music material have all passed up this take. And it's pretty good, too. I'll compare it to the two other takes of this tune I have tomorrow, but it swings, and Bunk is inventive.

TOO COOL!

Edited by jeffcrom

• 2 weeks later...

Got this as an email from a friend. Thought it might interest some 78ers here:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10090/1046759-388.stm

Very cool. I might have to plan a visit.

Relaxing before the gig with some clarinet 78s:

Boyd Senter (Jazzologist Supreme, according to one of the labels):

Eniale Blues/Somebody's Wrong (Okeh black label)

Original Stack O' Lee Blues/No More (British Parlophone). Boyd was pretty corny, but he always had good musicians with him - the Dorseys, Vic Berton. Eddie Lang is very good on "Eniale" and "No More."

Buddy DeFranco on MGM:

Out of Nowhere/Dancing on the Ceiling - With a big band. DeFranco is stunning on "Out of Nowhere."

Pennywhistle Blues/Buddy's Blues - A nice quintet with Kenny Drew, Jimmy Raney, Teddy Kotick, and Art Taylor.

Mickey Katz: Sin/Herring Boats (Capitol). Pretty silly, but there is some good klezmer playing mixed in with the "comedy."

• 2 weeks later...

Some early 20s blues ladies:

Rosa Henderson: Midnight Blues/Lizzie Miles: Cotton Belt Blues (Victor-1923) A winner on both sides. Rosa is accompanied by Fletcher Henderson's band, pre-Louis.

Daisy Martin and Her Jazz Bell Hops: Everybody's Man is My Man/Won't Somebody Help Me Find My Lovin' Man (Okeh-1921) I played this one mostly to see if it was as bad as I remembered. Nope - it's worse: screechy and unmusical. Garvin Bushell is on clarinet, so I'll probably play it to hear him every once in a while.

Lucille Hegamin and Her Blue Flame Syncopators: He May Be Your Man/I've Got the Wonder Where He Went and When He's Coming Back Blues (Banner-1922) Vaudeville blues rather than the real deal, but very well done. This is what Daisy Martin was trying for.

Sara Martin: Sugar Blues/Achin' Hearted Blues (Okeh-1922) With Clarence Williams on piano. Sara was a very good second-tier blues singer - not one of the greats, but nice.

Sara Martin: Last Go Round Blues/Mama's Got the Blues (Okeh-1922) I always have to play this Sara Martin record after the other one, or Clarence Williams' piano would be too much of a letdown. This one has Fats Waller on piano; it was only his third record date.

And I ended with the Real Deal:

Clara Smith: Awful Moanin' Blues/I Never Miss the Sunshine (Columbia-1923) Clara sounds great here, with Fletcher Henderson on piano. White record company execs still didn't know what to think of the blues; the label calls here a "Comedienne," but she's deadly serious.

Listening to a BILLIE STEWART Savoy 78 (which MAY or MAY NOT be BILLIE HOLIDAY). Gloomy Sunday c/w In My Solitude - Sure sounds like her plus there are some great sidemen as per some of the websites that offered up information on the MYSTERIOUS 78. Anyone else have additional info???

An eclectic half hour among the shellac - mostly new-ish finds:

Southern Negro Quartette - Anticipatin' Blues/I'm Wild About Moonshine (Columbia, 1921) Vaudeville stuff; not as good as I had hoped.

Dave Brubeck Quartet - A Foggy Day/Lyons Busy (Fantasy, 1951) Somehow the sound of Paul Desmond's horn coming out of my 78 rig is disorienting.

Woody Herman and the New Third Herd - Perdido/Baby Clementine (Mars, 1952) A nice Arno Marsh tenor solo on "Perdido."

Vin Bruce - Fille de la Ville/Dans la Louisianne (Columbia, 1952) Nice cajun/country tunes.

I just discovered that Fiddlin' John Carson is buried just two miles from my house, so I visited his grave yesterday. Inspired by my visit, I played a bunch of old-time country today - mostly Georgia boys. I've mentioned some of these here before.

Fiddlin' John Carson - Fire in the Mountain/Peter Went Fishing (Okeh, 1926)

Fiddlin' John Carson - It's a Shame to Whip Your Wife on Sunday/Cotton Eyed Joe (Okeh, 1927)

Bill Cox - Browns Ferry Blues/Long Chain Charlie Blues (Conqueror, 1934)

Riley Puckett - Ida Red/Sally Goodwin (Columbia, 1926)

Smith's Sacred Singers - Shouting on the Hills/The Eastern Gate (Columbia, 1926)

Darby and Tarlton - Columbus Stockade Blues/Birmingham Jail (Columbia, 1927)

Darby and Tarlton - The Rainbow Division/Country Girl Valley (Columbia, 1928)

I don't know whether this falls under the "guilty pleasure" or "bad/mediocre music" category, but I have about 30 or so 78s from the 1920s that aren't jazz or blues, but hot dance music. They're corny compared to real jazz, but they must have been a blast to dance to, and I'm often struck with with the little details: a driving banjo player in the rhythm section, a nice instrumental obligato to a corny vocal, a solo by an unexpected instrument (bass sax or bassoon, for example). Here were today's guilty pleasures:

Newport Society Orchestra: A Little Bungalow/Imperial Dance Orchestra: Who (Regal, 1925) Whenever I see one of these pseudonymous dance band records from the twenties for a dollar or so, I always pick it up, in case it turns out to be Fletcher Henderson or some studio band with a Miff Mole or Benny Goodman solo. No such luck on this one; the Imperial seems to be a Ben Selvin group, but there's no jazz on either side. Nice, well-played performances of early Irving Berlin (Bungalow) and Jerome Kern (Who) songs, though.

Bennie Krueger's Orchestra: Mr. Gallagher and Mr. Shean/Boardwalk Blues (Brunswick, 1922) Nice dance band led by a saxophonist who recorded with the Original Dixieland Jazz Band. An early endorsement deal: the label reads "Buescher Instruments Used."

Bennie Krueger's Orchestra: You Know You Belong to Somebody Else/Wet Yo' Thumbs (Brunswick, 1923)

Columbia Saxophone Sextette: The Crocodile/Who Wants a Baby (Columbia, 1920) Good sax playing, and somebody doubles on oboe.

Ed Loyd and His Orchestra: Pagan Love Song/I Get the Blues When It Rains (Okeh, 1929) This is one I've almost thrown out several times, because it's so corny. But then I remember why I keep it: the vocal on the second side is accompanied by an excellent, bluesy violin obligato. It's not quite good enough to be Venuti, I don't think, but it's good.

Ted Lewis and His Band: Some of These Days/Bugle Call Rag (Columbia, 1926) Everyone here is better than the leader, especially New Orleans trombonist George Brunies. Sophie Tucker takes the vocal on "Some of These Days."

And I ended with one from the next decade:

Chick Bullock and His Levee Loungers: Did an Angel Kiss You/Moonlight on the Sunset Trail (Perfect, 1938) This is an example of why 78s fascinate me. This is an okay singer doing two bad songs with an anonymous band: the Rust discography can't identify any of the band. But there's a great trumpet obligato and a very nice clarinet solo on "Angel." Artie Shaw recorded with Bullock a couple of months before, but I don't think it's him. Nice playing, though.

And yes, I know I'm weird.

Paying tribute to the last of the Jones brothers:

Hot Lips Page - Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You/The Lady in Bed; Big "D" Blues/It Ain't Like That (Continental) A complete, and really nice, 1944 session, with great playing by Page, Vic Dickenson, Lucky Thompson, and 26-year-old Hank Jones.

Jazz at the Philharmonic - Mordido (Mercury) I listened to all six sides, then gave side 2 a second spin - it's the one with Howard McGhee and Hank Jones solos.

• 2 weeks later...

Acoustic Victor Red Seal classical vocal 78s are pretty common; instrumental records less so. But I like them when I can find them - the sound is really good for the time, which makes them the best way to at least get a glimpse of some of the great performers of that era. Today it was piano time, with a bunch of one-sided Red Seals:

Olga Samaroff - Moszkowski: Sparks, Op. 36, No. 6 (10" - 1921)

Vladimir de Pachmann - Chopin: Mazurka in F Sharp Minor, Op. 59, No. 3 (10" - 1912)

Alfred Cortot - Chopin: Berceuse, Op. 57 (12" - 1920)

Alfred Cortot - Liszt: Caprice Poetic (12" - 1919)

Alfred Cortot - Weber: Invitation to the Waltz, Op. 65) (12" - 1923)

All beautifully played.

Fritz Kreisler on one-sided Victor Red Seals:

Dvorak: Humoresque (12" - 1910)

Kreisler: Caprice Viennois (12" - 1910)

Handel: Largo (12" - 1914)

Tchaikowsky: Chanson sans Paroles (10" - 1916)

Pretty lightweight stuff, for the most part, but Kreisler's playing is just gorgeous.

Edited by jeffcrom

More Victor Red Seals; this time it's violinist Mischa Elman, recorded with beautiful presence, considering the techniques of the time.

Drigo - Serenade (10" - 1905)

Beethoven - Minuet in G (10" - 1910)

Wagner - Preislied from Die Meistersinger (12" - 1910)

Schumann - Vogel als Prophet (10" - 1914)

Drdla - Souvenir (10" - 1917)

Saenger - Scotch Pastorale, Op. 130, No. 2 (10" - 1919)

Edited by jeffcrom

All this thinking about The Caravans made me itch a bit to listen to my 78s of the group. So I went through the palaver of setting up the turntable for 78s and played:

The Caravans – The man Jesus – States 146 (lead Albertina walker, sermonette Rev James Cleveland)

The Caravans – What kind of man is this – States 146 (lead Cleveland) (both from 1954)

The Caravans – Onward Christian Soldiers – States 159 (lead Imogene Greene, who is damn good! And this is NOT the song you think it is.)

The Caravans – None but the righteous – States 159 (lead Albertina Walker, Rev James Cleveland) (both from 1956)

The sound on these is very good. That Leonard Allen knew how to make good sounding records! They’re quite quiet – had to wind the volume way up!

Having gone to such trouble setting it up, I went on to play

Swan Silvertones – My soul is a witness – Vee-Jay 182 (leads (Claude Jeter, Paul Owens & Dewey Young)

Swan Silvertones – Jesus remembers – Vee-Jay 182 (lead Claude Jeter) (both from 1956)

The Raymond Rasberry Singers – I believe every word/Jesus king of kings – Savoy 4110 (Rasberry is a well-known gospel composer. Not known if he’s the lead singer on the A side, who is a real preaching singer! The B side features Rasberry’s boogie piano, sounding like “Honky tonk train blues” and a different lead singer.)

The Raymond Rasberry Singers – Every round of the ladder pts 1 & 2 – Savoy 4118 – this one is beautiful. And not a mark on it!

Both singles were from the same session in 1958. It sez on the label “A hi-fi recording” but no RVG in the dead wax :)

Rusty Bryant – House rocker/Danger blues – Dot 1229 (Hank Marr (p), Warren Stephens (g) (later with Sweet Poppa Lou), Fred Smith (b), Jimmy Rogers (d) Jane Turner (voc side 2). 1953. Side 2 is very interesting. “You’re in danger baby, when you fool around with me, ‘cos I’ll cut your heart out daddy, cast it into the deep blue sea.” And guitar death march riffs at start and finish.

Lloyd Lambert – King cotton/Heavy juice – Specialty promo 553. New Orleans band led by bass player. Lee Allen probably the incredibly NASTY tenor player. I have a sneaking suspicion the pianist could be James Booker. This disc isn't in the blues or jazz discographies. Hopefully Jeff will know sometrhing about it. The B side is nothing to write home about.

Finishing off with

Link Wray & his Ray Men – Rumble/The swag – Cadence (London HLA8623) An effin’ blinder! From 1958. (Well, the A side is. It’s where it all began, folks.)

MG

Lloyd Lambert – King cotton/Heavy juice – Specialty promo 553. New Orleans band led by bass player. Lee Allen probably the incredibly NASTY tenor player. I have a sneaking suspicion the pianist could be James Booker. This disc isn't in the blues or jazz discographies. Hopefully Jeff will know sometrhing about it. The B side is nothing to write home about.

Well, I don't really know anything about it, except that it was issued in 1955, and that makes it kind of early for Booker to be on piano. Not impossible, mind you, but not really likely - he would have been 15 at the time. Of course, he had recorded his first single by then - Doing the Hambone/Thinking About My Baby for Imperial, but it's kind of "unformed" - not quite his mature style. He was more active in the studios by 1958.

Sounds like a great 78 listening session.

Not sure if I have that one in my collection - I do know I don't have it on 78 - & I'm too tired to look, but the Leadbitter/Fancourt/Pelletier discography has the personnel as:

Lambert: bass; Joe Tillman: ts; Clarence Ford: bar s on "Heavy Sugar" (the title they list); Lawrence Cotton: pno; unk. gtr; Oscar Moore: d. New Orleans, 25 Apr., 1955.

Don't know how accurate this info is, but I hope it helps.

Not sure if I have that one in my collection - I do know I don't have it on 78 - & I'm too tired to look, but the Leadbitter/Fancourt/Pelletier discography has the personnel as:

Lambert: bass; Joe Tillman: ts; Clarence Ford: bar s on "Heavy Sugar" (the title they list); Lawrence Cotton: pno; unk. gtr; Oscar Moore: d. New Orleans, 25 Apr., 1955.

Don't know how accurate this info is, but I hope it helps.

Thanks Paul - that's terrific! Now written on the sleeve :)

MG

A bunch of gospel and R & B as I clean/reorganize:

The Caravans - Tell Him What You Want/Wait for Me (States, 1954)

The Famous Ward Singers - Anywhere in Glory/Hold Back the Tears (Savoy, 1954)

The Famous Ward Singers - I'm Climbing Higher and Higher/God's Amazing Love (Savoy, 1955)

Ray Abrams - Tami's Blues/Sandy (Sittin' In With, 1948) Allegedly with Jay McShann on piano, and it sounds like him on the first side.

Fats Domino - So Long/When My Dreamboat Comes Home (Imperial, 1955/56)

Paula Watson - A Little Bird Told Me/Stick By Me Baby (Supreme, 1948)

Bumps Myers Sextet - Memphis Hop/Forty-Nine-Fifty (Selective)

Joe Morris Orch. with Al Savage - Just Your Way Baby/I Had a Notion (Herald, 1953)

Tab Smith - On the Sunnyside of the Street/Darling, You're All I Need (Hub, 1945)

Tab Smith - Boogie Joogie/Hands Across the Table (United, 1951)

Tab Smith - Jumptime/Strange (United promo, 1951)

Joe Houston - Atom Bomb/Windy City Hop (Imperial, 1952

Willis "Gator Tail" Jackson - Rock! Rock!! Rock!!!/Here in My Heart (Atlantic, 1952) The second side is more exotica than R & B, with Gladys Bruce's wordless vocal.

Dinah Washington - My Voot is Really Vout/Blues for a Day (Apollo, 1945) Nice solos by Lucky Thompson, Milt Jackson, and Charles Mingus.

Joe Liggins and His Honeydrippers - Got a Right to Cry/Blue Moods (Exclusive, 1945)

Joe Liggins and His Honeydrippers - Think of Me/Little Willie (Exclusive, 1945) Side two is a feature for Little Willie Jackson on bari sax.

Joe Liggins and His Honeydrippers - Rhythm in the Barnyard, parts 1 & 2 (Specialty, 1950)

Chuck Willis - I've Been Treated Wrong Too Long/Don't Deceive Me (Okeh, 1952)

Chuck Willis - Change My Mind/Hy Heart's Been Broken Again (Okeh, 1954) This one has nice solos by Fred Jackson and Mickey Baker.

A bunch of gospel and R & B as I clean/reorganize:

The Caravans - Tell Him What You Want/Wait for Me (States, 1954)

The Famous Ward Singers - Anywhere in Glory/Hold Back the Tears (Savoy, 1954)

The Famous Ward Singers - I'm Climbing Higher and Higher/God's Amazing Love (Savoy, 1955)

Ray Abrams - Tami's Blues/Sandy (Sittin' In With, 1948) Allegedly with Jay McShann on piano, and it sounds like him on the first side.

Fats Domino - So Long/When My Dreamboat Comes Home (Imperial, 1955/56)

Paula Watson - A Little Bird Told Me/Stick By Me Baby (Supreme, 1948)

Bumps Myers Sextet - Memphis Hop/Forty-Nine-Fifty (Selective)

Joe Morris Orch. with Al Savage - Just Your Way Baby/I Had a Notion (Herald, 1953)

Tab Smith - On the Sunnyside of the Street/Darling, You're All I Need (Hub, 1945)

Tab Smith - Boogie Joogie/Hands Across the Table (United, 1951)

Tab Smith - Jumptime/Strange (United promo, 1951)

Joe Houston - Atom Bomb/Windy City Hop (Imperial, 1952

Willis "Gator Tail" Jackson - Rock! Rock!! Rock!!!/Here in My Heart (Atlantic, 1952) The second side is more exotica than R & B, with Gladys Bruce's wordless vocal.

Dinah Washington - My Voot is Really Vout/Blues for a Day (Apollo, 1945) Nice solos by Lucky Thompson, Milt Jackson, and Charles Mingus.

Joe Liggins and His Honeydrippers - Got a Right to Cry/Blue Moods (Exclusive, 1945)

Joe Liggins and His Honeydrippers - Think of Me/Little Willie (Exclusive, 1945) Side two is a feature for Little Willie Jackson on bari sax.

Joe Liggins and His Honeydrippers - Rhythm in the Barnyard, parts 1 & 2 (Specialty, 1950)

Chuck Willis - I've Been Treated Wrong Too Long/Don't Deceive Me (Okeh, 1952)

Chuck Willis - Change My Mind/Hy Heart's Been Broken Again (Okeh, 1954) This one has nice solos by Fred Jackson and Mickey Baker.

Cor - you're lucky I didn't steal that lot :D

MG

More work on the music room, to the accompaniment of big bands. First, Jimmie Lunceford, in reverse chronological order:

The "Jimmies"/I Need a Lift (Majestic, 1946)

Back Door Stuff, parts 1 & 2 (Decca, 1944) Omer Simeon on clarinet!

I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town, parts 1 & 2 (Decca, 1942)

Blues in the Night, parts 1 & 2 (Decca, 1941)

The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down/I'll See You in My Dreams (Decca, 1937)

Then Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra:

No Name Jive, parts 1 & 2 (Decca, 1940) Pretty good, swinging record from a band that wasn't considered that hip at the time.

Memories of You/If I Love Again (Decca) A reissue of two trumpet features; side one, from 1937, is arranged and played by the now-forgotten Sonny Dunham; the 1946 flip features Bobby Hackett.

Cor - you're lucky I didn't steal that lot :D

MG

I feel bad that we didn't get into the 78s when you visited, but my music room was so cluttered that it would have been tough. Now there's actually room for a couple of people to sit and listen.

More early classical recordings on Victor:

Brahms - Hungarian Dance #5: Stokowski/Philadelphia Orchestra (Victor 10" one-sided Red Seal - 1917). I didn't know until a few minutes ago that this was Stokowski's first recording.

Grieg - Anitra's Dance: Stokowski/Philadelphia Orchestra (Victor 10" one-sided Red Seal - 1917)

Gluck - Dance of the Spirits: Stokowski/Philadelphia Orchestra (Victor 12" one-sided Red Seal - 1917)

Ippolitov-Ivanov - March of the Caucasian Chief/Glazounov - Danse Orientale: Stokowski/Philadelphia Orchestra (Victor 10" electrical Red Seal - 1927)

Saint-Saens - Le Cygne/Rubinstein - Melody in F: Hans Kindler, cello (Victor 10" blue label - 1916)

Elgar - Capricieuse: Jascha Heifetz, violin (Victor 10" one-sided Red Seal - 1917)

and some early crossover:

The great violinist Fritz Kreisler playing two pop songs: Love Nest and Poor Butterfly (Victor 10" Red Seal - 1917 & 1920)

Maybe it's the antiquarian in me, but I think these records and performances sound great.