Interesting fact: Tico Torres played with ...

neveronfriday

Just came across this in an interview in a German drum magazine (Sticks).

Apparently, Tico Torres of Bon Jovi played with Miles Davis. In case you are as surprised as me (some of you probably knew this all along, but I'm not such a Davis fan, so ...), here are the facts: Torres, who then called himself Cosmo Jones, was a member of King Curtis, together with Willie Bridges (saxophone), an old friend, and when King Curtis died, Miles Davis took over the band, including the drummer ... today Tico Torres. According to the interview, they got along well together and Torres is still close with Davis' kids today.

On top of that, Torres' mentor and drum teacher was Joe Morello. As it happens, Torres was able to fix Morello's roof one day and in return, Morello gave him lessons whenever he wasn't on tour. Another substantial influence seems to have been Elvin Jones, who Torres saw many times, especially keeping an eye on the interplay between Jones and Howard Tiner (keb. & sax).

Strange, but listening to Bon Jovi, I can't hear any of that history.

Cheers!

;)

I just cant believe that. there must be two "tico torres" out there

It's definitely the same dude.

I found this blurb in the some Bon Jovi promo stuff.

A succession of guitarists (including Dave Sabo, who went on to Skid Row) followed, until Richie Sambora signed on. Alec talked Jon into letting Richie show what he could do, and Jon loved it. Before joining Bon Jovi, Richie had toured with Joe Cocker, played with a group called Mercy and had just been called up to audition for KISS. He also played in the album "Lessons" with the band Message that has been recently re-released in CD through Long Island Records.

Tico Torres was also an experienced musician by then. He had jammed with Miles Davis and played live with the Marvelettes and Chuck Berry. He had played on about 26 records and had just recorded his third album with Frankie and the Knockouts (a Jersey band with hit singles in the early 1980s).

Guest akanalog

my friend owns a store that was previously owned by tico torres, who owned a store that made rock star clothes for babies. but my friend talked to torres a few times and got hooked up with some store stuff (register stuff, whatever). torres mentioned to my friend that he had played with davis and we both thought it sounded weird but believable and my friend asked for a tape but never got one.

Back in the '70s (yeah, dark ages) when Bill Dixon was off staff at the U of W in Madison, at an early ensemble "tryout" a bass player was flailing away at his instrument. Dixon stopped him and requested a scale. The guy went "huh" and Bill repeated the request. The guy said "I don't need to do that shit - I played with Cecil Taylor!" (he held the post before Dixon). Professor D slowly walked away and said "No...... you played at the same time as Cecil Taylor".

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I was brutally subjected to bon jovi's "music", as it were, today by someone I work with who loves the stuff and just had to play the entire greatest hits CD. I tried, but I heard nothing resembling anything other than idiotic, formulaic plodding. Nothing interesting from the drums at all. Or from anywhere else, for that matter. I just can't believe people pay to listen to this stuff!!