Greg Osby

Guest che

Hi.

The other day I bought a copy of the album 'Inner Circle' Greg Osby, the first album I have from him. I have downloaded some of his Mp3's before he is still new to me.

I have listened to this album a fre times now, and it is ok, not great but good enough.

Anyone know more about Osby? Or could recommend any of his music?

Che.

I really like "Inner Circle". I hadn't heard anything like it before, and haven't heard anything like it since. Its not perfect, but when it succeeds, it does so in a grand fashion.

Try Osby's "St. Louis Shoes".

I really like "Inner Circle". I hadn't heard anything like it before, and haven't heard anything like it since. Its not perfect, but when it succeeds, it does so in a grand fashion.

Try Osby's "St. Louis Shoes".

Sal.

Thanks for the info and the recomendation.

This is the first album I have bought by Osby, I had downloaded some stuff by him and liked it. I did some checking out about him, he seems a very talented and educated guy. He seems to have worked with some of the greats ie: Dizzy Gillespie, Woody Shaw, Ron Carter etc.

I will try and locate the album you mention.

Che.

You might try Banned in New York, a live at the Village Vanguard recording, with Jason Moran.

Thanks Kh when I looked him up this was one of the recommendations, I am looking up these albums, in between wrting to you :rolleyes:

Che.

INVISIBLE HAND (Blue Note), w/guests Andrew Hill & Jim Hall, is a personal favorite. Very moody, yet not oppressively so. Lots of "breathing room" in the music. Plus, it's a treat to hear the guests in a format such as this. Hill you'd epect to deal, but Hall might surprise you. Or not!

There was a Jack Dejohnette IMPULSE! album called AUDIO-VISUALSCAPES from the early 90s(?) that's a total gas. The band is Jack, Osby, Gary Thomas. Mick Goodrich, & Lonnie Plazico, and the blowing is nice and spiky throughout. OOP now, but well worth a seekout, imo.

I'm no doubt in the minority on this, but sometimes I prefer his days doing the M-Base thing. MAN-TALK FOR MODERNS, VOL X is my favorite from those days. Creative use of sampling, and a no BS vibe from the git-go. Another one that's OOP, and if you're not into electricity and/or hip-hop elements in your jazz, then one to avoid, no doubt, but otherwise...

FRIENDLY FIRE, a disc he co-led w/Joe Lovano for BN, is really good, too, even if it does have an awful lot of that "New York Macho" thing going on in it. It works here for me, but not on a regular basis, if you get my drift. Also OOP (the BN new releases tend to come and go relatively quickly, so carpe diem...) but not too far back, so there's probably copies to be found cheaply.

You ever check out Steve Coleman as well as Osby?

INVISIBLE HAND (Blue Note), w/guests Andrew Hill & Jim Hall, is a personal favorite. Very moody, yet not oppressively so. Lots of "breathing room" in the music. Plus, it's a treat to hear the guests in a format such as this. Hill you'd epect to deal, but Hall might surprise you. Or not!

There was a Jack Dejohnette IMPULSE! album called AUDIO-VISUALSCAPES from the early 90s(?) that's a total gas. The band is Jack, Osby, Gary Thomas. Mick Goodrich, & Lonnie Plazico, and the blowing is nice and spiky throughout. OOP now, but well worth a seekout, imo.

I'm no doubt in the minority on this, but sometimes I prefer his days doing the M-Base thing. MAN-TALK FOR MODERNS, VOL X is my favorite from those days. Creative use of sampling, and a no BS vibe from the git-go. Another one that's OOP, and if you're not into electricity and/or hip-hop elements in your jazz, then one to avoid, no doubt, but otherwise...

FRIENDLY FIRE, a disc he co-led w/Joe Lovano for BN, is really good, too, even if it does have an awful lot of that "New York Macho" thing going on in it. It works here for me, but not on a regular basis, if you get my drift. Also OOP (the BN new releases tend to come and go relatively quickly, so carpe diem...) but not too far back, so there's probably copies to be found cheaply.

You ever check out Steve Coleman as well as Osby?

You know the more I think I know about jazz, the more I realize how little I know. I am aware of Coleman, but do not have a single CD. I promise I will get to him after Osby :rolleyes:

Che.

I'm no doubt in the minority on this, but sometimes I prefer his days doing the M-Base thing.

I'm in total agreement with you here, Jim.

When Osby was working with his more interesting peers and the odd vetran, he showed more fire and ideas. When left to his own devises, he just dosn't cut it. Pertty boring, as a matter a fact. If you have ever seen him lead one of his own bands, you'd know what I mean.

When Osby was working with his more interesting peers and the odd vetran, he showed more fire and ideas. When left to his own devises, he just dosn't cut it. Pertty boring, as a matter a fact.

Don't know that I'd go so far as to call him "boring", but there did seem to be a bit of a "take no prisoners" and/or "here it is if you like it, here it is if you don't like it" attitude to that more "radical" music that I really dug. Of course, with age often comes a certain mellowness, and on the thing w/Lovano, that old "AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH" attitude is on full display throughout, but sometimes I miss it in his more recent work. Seems like the "urban" thing was working for him pretty nicely. But that's just me.

Edited by JSngry

When Osby was working with his more interesting peers and the odd vetran, he showed more fire and ideas. When left to his own devises, he just dosn't cut it. Pertty boring, as a matter a fact. If you have ever seen him lead one of his own bands, you'd know what I mean.

'Fraid I think just the opposite. All through the early M-BASE years, I thought Osby was a weaker imitation of Steve Coleman. But since about 1995 or 1996, I think Osby's dates have surpassed Coleman's -- especially those with Jason Moran (or Andrew Hill) on board. (I didn't care as much for ST. LOUIS SHOES, or the live one that followed it, PUBLIC.)

INNER CIRCLE and SYMBOLS OF LIGHT are probably my two favorites. But really, anything lead by Osby with Moran or Hill as sideman, is superbad in my book. Dig ZERO, which doesn't get nearly as many accolades as I think it's due. There are live versions of some of the material from ZERO too, on Osby's website, which reveal the tunes in a slightly different light.

NOTE: I've heard Osby's next album is just a trio date -- with Jack DeJohnette, and Osby's regular bass player of late, Matt Brewer. No piano, nor any other chordal instrument. I'm hoping this is a return to what are (for me) his glory days, i.e. INNER CIRCLE, SYMBOLS OF LIGHT, INVISIBLE HAND, ZERO, and BANNED IN NY - plus all that live material on Osby's site. :wub:

Che - You know you can do searches to find additional information on topics that have already been discussed, right? I'm pointing this out to you because some people may not have the urge to re-discuss or re-state something about an artist that they've already shared previously. There is a wealth of information in older threads here on this board, on just about any jazz topic you're interested in...

Greg Osby - Public

Greg Osby - Symbols of Light

Greg Osby - St. Louis Shoes

Greg Osby - live discussion

Edited by Aggie87

That trio date sounds like it could be some cool shit. When's it supposed to be out?

All I know is they were going in the studio early in February, so I'm sure the album is probably 6 or 8 months away from being released (my wild guess). Here's the blurb I saw, originally on the BN website...

Greg Osby will record his latest installment for Blue Note in NYC beginning February 9. It will be an exploratory trio date featuring the legendary drummer Jack DeJohnette along with young bassist Matt Brewer.

source

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Che - You know you can do searches to find additional information on topics that have already been discussed, right? I'm pointing this out to you because some people may not have the urge to re-discuss or re-state something about an artist that they've already shared previously. There is a wealth of information in older threads here on this board, on just about any jazz topic you're interested in...

Greg Osby - Public

Thanks for the information, seems that some people do want to discuss Osby again. I did put his name in the search and got nothing. But I am still new to this forum.

Thanks again.

Che.

Che - You know you can do searches to find additional information on topics that have already been discussed, right?  I'm pointing this out to you because some people may not have the urge to re-discuss or re-state something about an artist that they've already shared previously.  There is a wealth of information in older threads here on this board, on just about any jazz topic you're interested in...

Greg Osby - Public

Thanks for the information, seems that some people do want to discuss Osby again. I did put his name in the search and got nothing. But I am still new to this forum.

Thanks again.

Che.

I like Osby too. I haven't picked up the newest one, but I've got all the Blue Notes. I like all his albums from Art Forum on.

Che, have you heard Jason Moran yet? He worked with Osby for a time and is also signed to Blue Note. I really like what he's doing.

Che - You know you can do searches to find additional information on topics that have already been discussed, right?  I'm pointing this out to you because some people may not have the urge to re-discuss or re-state something about an artist that they've already shared previously.  There is a wealth of information in older threads here on this board, on just about any jazz topic you're interested in...

Greg Osby - Public

Thanks again.

Che.

I like Osby too. I haven't picked up the newest one, but I've got all the Blue Notes. I like all his albums from Art Forum on.

Che, have you heard Jason Moran yet? He worked with Osby for a time and is also signed to Blue Note. I really like what he's doing.

Africabass.

I came across his name when I was looking up some background information on Osby, and he plays on the album I have, do you have a recomendation that I could try and get hold of?

Thanks

Che.

On the 'Inner Circle' album Moran seems to be in fine form, has he recorded any albums himself?

Che.

He's recorded some excellent albums. "Black Stars", his best IMO, is his trio along with Sam Rivers. A modern jazz classic.

"Facing Left" is right up there as well. Those are my two favorites. People seem to really like his debut "Soundtrack to Human Motion", but I think its mediocre.

Greg Osby - Public

Thanks again.

Che.

Africabass.

I came across his name when I was looking up some background information on Osby, and he plays on the album I have, do you have a recomendation that I could try and get hold of?

Thanks

Che.

Che,

I've liked all of Moran's Blue Notes. I really liked his first album, Soundtrack to Human Motion. His album, Black Stars, had Sam Rivers on it (if you're a Rivers fan). His new album, Same Mother is interesting. We have a thread going about this album.

I seem to remember he had mp3s on his website. You can sample his albums there.

http://www.jasonmoran.com/mp3.html

That reminds me, Greg Osby has a bunch of mp3s on his site.

http://www.gregosby.com/mp3.html

Edited by AfricaBrass

Over in new releases, we talked about Moran's latest - Some Mother - which is adventurous but not completely satisfying (to me). I also wasn't so crazy about the Bandwagon release, but I like the previous BNs.

I saw Osby and Moran live at Chicago's Green Mill, and they smoked. I really hope they decide to record again together some day. They both have their own groups now.

In addition to the Osby dates with Hill (Invisible Hand is really good), you might check out two Hill albums with Osby in a backing role - Eternal Spirit and But Not Farewell. They are OOP but there are usually copies floating about. Maybe we can press MC to re-issue these as well, since the Hill is starting to sell pretty well.

You're welcome, Che.

I don't know if anyone else shares the same a opinion, but I thought Blue Note in 1999-2000 was at a peak. You had Osby, Moran, Mark Shim, Stefon Harris, plus stalwarts like Lovano.

I enjoyed an album that had Osby, Moran, Harris, Shim called New Directions. The All Music review is negative, but I remember liking it. This might be something cool to pick up used.

d95360i1co9.jpg