What Are You Watching

still feel the same about Sorkin's The Newsroom now as when it started 'bout a month or two back: not his best but still worth watching. it's worth it because within each hour-long episode there's at least one or two scenes which are better than most everything else on television at that moment. last week's episode was no exception. there were two scenes (both somewhat longish...) which i thought were exceptional. here's one below. don't give up in the first couple minutes - it builds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCV4RdqnzKQ

will post the next scene as soon as it finishes uploading...

Edited by thedwork

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well this is interesting: the 2nd scene i wanted to post here is "blocked worldwide" on youtube. its being blocked in and of itself is not surprising. it's an HBO program after all and they own it and etc etc etc... but the previous scene i uploaded above is from the same episode and was not detected. both were uploaded as "unlisted" videos. here are the two reasons supplied by youtube for the blocked status:

"Olivia Munn Shares Her Paparazzi Face-Olivia Munn Shares Her Paparazzi Face", audiovisual content administered by:

Associated Press (AP)

"Late Night With Jimmy Fallon", audiovisual content administered by:

NBC Universal

there's audio auto-detection software on youtube that blocks music content from being uploaded (sometimes only in certain parts of the globe), but there's no music content in this scene that would cause that to click in. no idea what the Jimmy Fallon connection would be, but "Olivia Munn Shares Her Paparazzi Face", audiovisual content administered by: Associated Press (AP)" is interesting. maybe Munn's face is video auto-detected right now 'cuz she's doing so well? the scene i tried to upload was all about her character and she's terrific in the scene. so is Sam Waterston. oh well. hope i don't get penalized too harshly...

* Edit!

weird goings on. i deleted the "worldwide blocked" vid (double meltdown). then 3-4 hours later, after it was deleted, i got this email from youtube:

Dear thedwork65,

Your video "Double Meltdown", may have content that is owned or licensed by Associated Press (AP), but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it.

This claim is not penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notice page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,

- The YouTube Team

well, if anyone is interested here's the scene. it's kinda long and i had to edit it together 'cuz there were other subplots interspersed that i figured folks here didn't need to see if they only wanted to check out one good scene. anyway, enjoy if you feel so inclined (it might be gone soon...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fi_U672EoA

p.s. - anyone else w/ youtube experience that has advice for this kind of thing please chime in...

Edited by thedwork

Watched last month: Les Shadoks

shadok.jpg

well this is interesting: the 2nd scene i wanted to post here is "blocked worldwide" on youtube. its being blocked in and of itself is not surprising. it's an HBO program after all and they own it and etc etc etc... but the previous scene i uploaded above is from the same episode and was not detected. both were uploaded as "unlisted" videos. here are the two reasons supplied by youtube for the blocked status:

"Olivia Munn Shares Her Paparazzi Face-Olivia Munn Shares Her Paparazzi Face", audiovisual content administered by:

Associated Press (AP)

"Late Night With Jimmy Fallon", audiovisual content administered by:

NBC Universal

there's audio auto-detection software on youtube that blocks music content from being uploaded (sometimes only in certain parts of the globe), but there's no music content in this scene that would cause that to click in. no idea what the Jimmy Fallon connection would be, but "Olivia Munn Shares Her Paparazzi Face", audiovisual content administered by: Associated Press (AP)" is interesting. maybe Munn's face is video auto-detected right now 'cuz she's doing so well? the scene i tried to upload was all about her character and she's terrific in the scene. so is Sam Waterston. oh well. hope i don't get penalized too harshly...

* Edit!

weird goings on. i deleted the "worldwide blocked" vid (double meltdown). then 3-4 hours later, after it was deleted, i got this email from youtube:

Dear thedwork65,

Your video "Double Meltdown", may have content that is owned or licensed by Associated Press (AP), but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it.

This claim is not penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notice page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,

- The YouTube Team

well, if anyone is interested here's the scene. it's kinda long and i had to edit it together 'cuz there were other subplots interspersed that i figured folks here didn't need to see if they only wanted to check out one good scene. anyway, enjoy if you feel so inclined (it might be gone soon...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fi_U672EoA

p.s. - anyone else w/ youtube experience that has advice for this kind of thing please chime in...

I had trouble on Youtube with FOX when trying to upoad a foolish video containing 10 seconds tops of Futurama. I have not been able to post unlisted videos for 2 years, until last week!

The incriminating video:

http://www.wat.tv/video/thelonious-monk-i-mean-you-28vi9_2jw3t_.html

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching Breaking Bad. Two more episodes to go this season. Each episode is a chore to get through and I'll be relieved when it's over for the year.

Oh well, I think each episode has been a joy. To each his own. It depresses me that there are only two more episodes and then we've got to wait for a year.

I've been watching Breaking Bad. Two more episodes to go this season. Each episode is a chore to get through and I'll be relieved when it's over for the year.

Oh well, I think each episode has been a joy. To each his own. It depresses me that there are only two more episodes and then we've got to wait for a year.

My comments aren't too objective about the show. It's more my state of mind with worries about some family and friend's health care concerns weighing on me. For me I'm wallowing in the misery of Walt's family, so it's tough to watch. Still I'm intrigued so I'm committed to keep watching.

41g9HfXCnoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Found an inexpensive set a couple of weeks back and am moving through series 1. I saw a fair few when televised 10 to 15 years ago but they bear revisiting and there are plenty I missed.

Absolutely tremendous - one of the best send ups of arty pretension anywhere. Brilliant writing.

All praise to the Godfather of Reality:

Martin-Crane-frasier-9340954-512-384.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I'm watching Sons of Anarchy, rewatching to get ready for the 9/11 return. Watched the third season, then decided to do the first, and now the second, and in a week or ten days should have the fourth season to rewatch. I like this show, like kinuta I like it despite its flaws. (Created and co-written and often directed by Kurt Sutter, who was involved with The Shield).

51rej7XL9SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A beautiful film about the Adderbury Morris Men from Oxfordshire. In Between 1914-18 all but one of the morris side were killed in World War I and morris died there. In 1975 it was revived again and the team has continued. Beautifully photographed, the film culminates with a visit of the current side to the Somme to pay respect to those earlier men at Thiepval. Very moving.

Horizon - How Big Is The Universe ?

_62480724_2228043-low_res-horizon-how-big-is-the-universe.jpg

Took a break from The Shield marathon to have my mind boggled by Horizon which is this time centered on a grand project to map the known universe. Truly awe inspiring stuff. An occasionally healthy dose of cosmology keeps life in some kind of perspective. :)

Re-watching "Mad Men" Season 1 for I don't know, the fourth time maybe?

This time around seems I'd forgotten how much we saw of Progressive Insurance's "Flo"(Stephanie Courtney) in the early episodes. And I was very impressed with Maggie Siff's performance, but shouldn't be, she's a very capable actress, and this is as interesting role as hers in "Sons of Anarchy."

I remember when I first watched this season how disgusted I was with the Don Draper character. I had just lost a loved wife, and he was cheating on his with two mistresses and acting like a huge jerk. And on top of that several young coworkers were just charmed to the gills with Draper, talking about him as if he were the epitome of manhood, they had a big crush. Now, seasons of the show have made me pity Draper more than detest him, and I've warmed to other characters as well.

And this time around I began to understand why Campbell is such a douchebag seeing how his father was and treated him. . . I don't remember that from previous viewings.

The Blu-ray sets look great.