Downbeat vs. Jazz Times

Which magazine do you subscribe too  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I recently ran into a guy selling old issues of Downbeat. 6 bucks, starting off, then they get lower as you buy more. I bought a couple. My dad wanted the ones with a couple of musicians from the Tijuana Brass in it. I particularly like the Hugh Masekela article in the most recent issue, and the Blindfold tests.

I used to get both magazines. Now I don't get either one. Each had their strengths and weaknesses. I liked Downbeat for the Vinyl Freak column, the rated reviews and panel reviews and their column devoted specifically to reissues. Jazz Times was a little slicker, I think the writing was a little better. Giddens was good. I even enjoyed Stanley while he lasted. Downbeat had gotten to the point where they were trying too hard to be all things to all people, and that kind of soured my on them. Some of their cover stories, at least to me, had little or nothing to do with jazz. Jazz Times wasn't a turn off for any particular reason I can recall. I just decided I didn't need it anymore.

What I'd really like is a magazine devoted to reissues and to guys who are mostly dead.

Up over and out.

I get Cadence and like it for the most part. Lots of reviews of people I've never heard, which has led me to some people I would otherwise never have known about. I also like their reviews of re-issues.

Awhile back I bought a bound copy of all the Down Beats from 1965. It was from a university library and it is neat to read through and see views of now classic albums and performers from that time. I don't think I have read a new Down Beat for at least five years. Nothing against it, but I just don't ever pick it up.

I also get The Absolute Sound, and they have some decent reviews.

I used to subscribe to Jazz Times, but after a while didn't feel I was getting enough out of it to justify the cost. While I tried a few single issues of Downbeat, it never appealed to me. It seems to me that online jazz sites have more meat than the magazines anymore...

Here in Scotland I rarely see Downbeat but those I have seen haven't impressed me much. Jazz Times is available and I've bought a few but they just seem full of puffs - lots of words not actually saying a great deal. In that sense its similar to Jazzwise here, in my opinion, lots of stuff only bordering on the kind of jazz I like and always too fullsome in its praise. Jazz Review I hardly ever see anymore but Jazz journal International I subscribe to. Its like walking into a musty old Club in London, full of aged jazz aficionados. Even when 90% of the issue is about people you never heard of and, once read, probably wont suffer too much if you never hear of them again, its interesting in a geek sort of way. But the reviews are excellent, worth the cover price alone.