Verve LPRs

montg

ak, I know how you feel but I think that the sound on the downloads is very good in its Apple format, and I really enjoy the music that I have downloaded and had been wanting to have it. . . .It's cheaper than Japanese cds, and really not much more packaging with those either.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe we're missing anything.  Mine doesn't either and I think I remember this lp when I had seen it as just having the front and back as on the LPR front and back. . . .

It's a very nice session.  I'd never heard Johnson playing bass clarinet before.

Just to clear up the mystery, I still have my lp - you are not missing anything.

Thanks, Lon.

Man, I really hated that first song (to the point where I almost didn't give the rest of the disc a chance), but from track two on that album smokes! Maybe track one will grow on me eventually.

I picked up just about all of the recent LPRs and a few of the conns at J&R yesterday. So far I've only made it through the Gato, White and Lateef. All choice material. It's great to finally see reissues of this caliber from the Impulse catalog. The wait has been way too long.

• 1 year later...

King Ubu, when did the jewel case releases start? with which batch?

Sorry for the late reply... first ones I remember seeing in jewel boxes were the Lateef, the White, the Gato and the Sanders (I assume they're from one and the same batch, but I don't know).

Why I looked for one of the LPR threads (not easy, as 3-letter-words cannot be searched any longer - I even saw that links wouldn't work anymore) is because yesterday I picked up the Jimmy Raney feat. Bob Brookmeyer disc (jewel pack, too, just in case). It's short but pretty sweet. Anyway, the new info says Dick Katz is on #1-4 and Hank Jones on #5-8, while the old info, including the reprint of the back-cover, gives different info (going from memory it's Katz on #1,2,5,6 and Jones on the others). What's the deal? And does the US edition have this goof, too?

Thanks for the reply Ubu-

I now designate you a Suivreiste!( is that French? I mean of course a behindist, on account of you being un peu plus tard! :P )

Well, that's pretty normal for us Swiss...

Voting for women (national): 1971

Becoming member of the UN: 2002

member of EU: not yet...

:crazy:

It seems as if the January 2006 LPR/Originals batch, which had Jimmy Raney, Herb Ellis, Howard Roberts and Eddie Fisher, really is the last one. A year has passed and nothing on the horizon either according to Verve's homepage. Then again, if Verve has downsized from 120 to 12 employees in ten years, maybe this development is to be expected.

I suppose that the only 'new to CD' reissues of Verve-owned material we will see in the future will come from Japan, Mosaic, or possibly some other labels (like Water) that now may be able to license stuff.

So we have had the straight Verve reissues of the 80s, the Take Two series in the early 90s, the VME/VBR/VEE series that started in 1997, the LPR series in 2002 and for a short while in 2005-06 the Originals.

Verve CD reissues R.I.P.

• 4 months later...

So guys, what happened to this series and the VME series anyway?

It seems like Universal has flushed them down the john and discontinued these series.

Maybe I have missed something in the postings here - what is up? :(

Edited by 762rob

go there to see what's going on in Europe:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=34194

that's the reply to the me has gone mad post, too, by the way: the LPRs have, after they turned to digipacks designed like the Verve By Request series, turned into the "[Label-name] Originals"-series over here (and have supposedly been done with crappier than the US remastering, at least in case of the Yusef Lateef "Psychicemotus", which is a great album - you should be albe to find the relevant discussion by entering that album title in the search form).