Verve LPRs

montg

Guest akanalog

well i just discovered this verve digital vault online and there are a few things i was interested in-

im downloading shepp "things have got to change right now" but a few others i liked like the alan shorter and one of the john klemmer ones-they are only available via real rather than itunes. well mac users dont seem to be able to access the real store. that is really freaking lame they did it this way. also am i getting any artwork with this shepp? i kinda don't think so. but this real versus itunes thing is plain dumb.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I guess I'm lucky in that so far I have the items that are in Real.

You get a really nice looking cover image with this, which you can print up with the playlist/tracklist. And the info on the Verve page could be incorporated. . .but that's all the art you have. In most cases I was replacing worn lps with the downloads, so I had back cover art, etc.

Is the time limit for this series still effective? The issues from the first batch supposedly would have disappeared in May 2005, but they still appear at the Verve website.

I'm looking at a copy of Oscar Peterson's "Soul Español" right now, and it proudly indicates on the OBI (is it still called OBI if it's an American reissue, BTW?) that it will only be available until May 2005.

How is the Nelson LIVE FROM LOS ANGELES date?

Up. AMG's guide, as usual, provides little insight... I'm leaning towards picking it up, though. Even not-so-great Nelson is still enjoyable to these ears.

I'm not a big fan of this recording (or much post Prestige Nelson), but isn't this supposed to be included in a future Mosaic Select?

... I guess we won't be seeing any additional material from the gig, which is a shame. They recorded three nights.

This is what does *suck* about this series. Even more so since by now these reissues have turned into regular, jewel-case-packed, releases. The digipacks were nice and easier to handle than the mini LPs (which I keep in those plastic bags, so it's a drag to get the out...), which saved shelf-space, though.

But now... even the Verve by Request series included the occasional alternate (the Blossom Dearie Oh-la-la comes to mind immediately), so why not these here... really escapes me why they produce regular CDs and still maintain the original album fetishism now that they don't pack them like LPs anymore.

How is the Nelson LIVE FROM LOS ANGELES date?

Up. AMG's guide, as usual, provides little insight... I'm leaning towards picking it up, though. Even not-so-great Nelson is still enjoyable to these ears.

I'm not a big fan of this recording (or much post Prestige Nelson), but isn't this supposed to be included in a future Mosaic Select?

The Mosaic Select will include both Verve and Impulse, but only the studio sessions.

Guest akanalog

for anyone with the new gato reissue-does it come with any sort of foldout inside the sleeve?

all the other ones i picked up in this series do, but this one came with nothing inside the little sleeve

Guest akanalog

also let me again say how much the so called digital vault sucks.

being a mac user i can't purchase like half the stuff because the real music store only works on windows based platforms. also the total lack of artwork is ridiculous. sure i can take the shot from on the verve site, but it doesn't blow up well so it is crappy and pixelated and it is only a cover image-no back or spine stuff. i mean just to have the discographical info it would be nice-i was listening to the shepp digital download of "things have got to change" or whatever and the drums were tight and it would be nice to have something to look at to know who is playing.

also the recent gato, sanders, michael white are all great. also just heard shepp's "attica blues" and like it a lot. for those who don't know-j and r is having a nice sale on this series.

Too bad you don't dig the Vault. I've no complaints other than the Real thing. Sure it would be nice to have more art etc. But I also have fun researching the material and making my own artwork. I do that a lot, research and make artwork, I find it fun.

And the way I look at it: a cd in hand is better than not having the music.

Frankly, I've just ignored the digital download stuff from Verve because it bugs me they haven't reissued that stuff the normal way. I can pout all I want, but the music still ain't on my stereo--so, I'm probably going to go this route. Can somebody help me with these novice-like questions?

1. Do you have to have a mac in order to use i tunes?

2. When you download the music , you can burn it to CD, right?

3. Is there any noticeable decline in the audio quality going this route--I mean, do these downloads burned onto CD sound noticeably different from a standard CD reissue?

1. I've only used iTunes on a Mac, but you can download iTunes for PC and supposedly it works just as well.

2. Yes!

3. The cds I've burned from iTunes sound remarkably like cds. In the case of most of those that I downloaded and burned, like the Japanese Verve cds they were sourced from.

Guest akanalog

i hate this digital download stuff! no one should give them money!

no artwork-sure use the cover shot on the verve site and have a crappy pixelated cover!

realmusic store doesn't work on macs so there goes john klemmer's "waterfalls" and alan shorter's "orgasm". (that sounded funny)

the bought stuff is not CD quality-it sounds fine but still lame-they could have done the stuff in flac format or something which has no loss.

the stupid bought stuff can only be burnt via itunes and not through toast.

the bought stuff can only be put on up to date iPods.

the whole thing is annoying.

even livephish does a better job than this. (to take something from another recent thread)

what makes the crappiness of the verve digital download stuff worse is that the store sold stuff is packaged so nicely and sounds great too.

god help us if this is what digital music purchasing will be like if people like fantasy decide to go this route.

Just walked down to J&R and picked up a bunch of these today. My copy of Alive in NY had no booklet in the pocket of the digipack. Should it have come with one? It's sort of rubbing me the wrong way and I might want to trade it in at Other Music, but without the notes that probably won't happen...

Hang on - just got to track two and this is starting to sound like a keeper...

Edited by J Larsen

I don't believe we're missing anything. Mine doesn't either and I think I remember this lp when I had seen it as just having the front and back as on the LPR front and back. . . .

It's a very nice session. I'd never heard Johnson playing bass clarinet before.