Bob James

Jazz Kat

I haven't had respect for Bob James. Mainly because he's in Fourplay. But I just picked up a Bob James album from circa 1975, called Two. I picked it up because it looked like a 1970's jazz/funk album, and because Steve Gadd appeared on it. I really like it. He is pretty good, in fact one of the songs on it is actually extremely challenging. It's one of those Creed Taylor CTI albums. Man I love those albums. 5 stars, except for a poor track with vocals...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for JK's sense of exploration and enthusiasm, which I commend him for, but I remember thinking a lot of BJ's stuff was "lite" at the time it came out in the 70s. I think his sides contributed a lot to the idea that the decade of the 70s was a weak one for jazz. Some good players participating, but fairly dull tunes and very repetitive.

You ever watch Taxi. the TV show? That's your man's most famous work.

Honestly, I was around at the time, and viewed him then as a "step down" from Don Sebesky for CTI. Given that I was no fan of Sebesky's work for the label in the first place...

But time moves on, and yeah, ok, now I can hear that stuff with the ear of somebody who's had to perform much similar music over the years, and yeah, he did what he did really well, all things considered. His Rhodes sound is an archetype of 70s pop-jazz, and he always had good players in the rhythm section to give the stuff a groove. It was schlock for the most part (just my opinion, nothing personal), but it was schlock with a groove, and considering how much schlock there was from the time without a groove, hey...

And I must say, for no good reason (or any other kind of reason for that matter), I've always dug the tune "Look-Alike" off of Lucky Seven. Check that one out. I guess we all have our weaknesses. :g:g:g

JazzKat:

Could you tell us what it is you like about the James stuff you've heard so far?

If you liked Two, then One could be your cup-o-tea.

It doesn't have Patti Austin and it has Jon Faddis and Grover on it

and is a bit "funkier" (but I cringe when I use that word and "Bob James" together).

I like a lot of CTI stuff, but James always came off as pablum: narcotic arrangements

and twee melodies that would later spur an "easy jazz" movement that continues to this day.

I just got Two. I guess I dug the funk feel to the album. (mainly the backbeats) And the melodies were nice enough.

OK...but, I'm curious...why are you going there

for funk? I think lots of us here: Jsngry, SoulStation1, and others could

hook you up with some realfunk!

:tup:bwallace: