BN uses Copy Control

David Ayers

This may have been covered, but I just saw my first BN Copy Control CD, a compilation of Blakey tunes. Me no likee. Where will it end? Has anyone seen other examples of this from BN?

yep i've bought a Chet Baker compilation compiled by MC & its got copy protected written all over it.

Edited by Gary

Copy protection is used most in Europe, because in the US the music industry is afraid of legal actions from consumer protection organisations.

The biggest problem of copy protection is that the CDs don't play in PCs and in many DVD players, car CD players and other devices that use computer CD drives instead of dedicated audio drives.

Some protection schemes also make the CDs sound worse. They contain errors that the CD player can still correct without the CD "jumping", but error correction has a negative effect on the sound quality. This is still true of many currently used schemes, as tests by german audio and PC magazines have shown.

I won't buy copyprotected CDs, because they are clearly inferior. Fortunately until now none of the CDs I bought or intended to buy had copy protection.

Edited by Claude

The biggest problem of copy protection is that the CDs don't play in PCs and in many DVD players, car CD players and other devices that use computer CD drives instead of dedicated audio drives.

That would kill the audio quality! ;)

I've made a copy from the library CD, then bought the CD from BMG. ($4 w/enrollment deal) :D

Not to be some kind of "policeman" as shrugs is wont to call me, but isn't this kind of attitude exactly what is getting us copy protected CDs in the first place?

BTW, all of their efforts are so stupid when you come right down to it. No matter how much they screw around with the disc, if it can play, I can copy it... I just have to switch to analog. Of course, if I make this copy in analog mode, it will sound terrible, right? It must... after all, it was copied in analog! Horrors! Has anyone here ever copied a CD in analog mode just to see the difference? I have. I challenge anyone to go try it. If there is a noticeable sound difference, I couldn't hear it. I even made an analog copy of a copy of a copy, etc. After several generations, I think I heard something change but it's not like it jumped out at me.

So, if I get one of these copy-protected CDs and I want to play it in my PC, I'll just make an analog copy onto a CD-R and it'll play no problem.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

So, if I get one of these copy-protected CDs and I want to play it in my PC, I'll just make an analog copy onto a CD-R and it'll play no problem.

And it's still going to sound better than a "high quality" mp3 recording! ;)

I'm wondering if these copy-protected CDs actually increase or decrease sales.

CD buyers who want to burn a copy for a friend and don't have the knowledge to circumvent copy protection (on some discs it only takes a marker pen to defeat it) will not buy a second disc but try to find mp3s on the internet.

Consumers who expect a CD to offer optimum sound quality will think twice before buying such crippled discs.

Edited by Claude

The reality of the situation is that nothing the record companies can do is going to eliminate copying. The genie is out of the bottle. In a way it's poetic justice for them forcing the cd medium on the public. What did Shakespeare say? Hoisted by their own petard?

I've made a copy from the library CD, then bought the CD from BMG. ($4 w/enrollment deal) :D

Not to be some kind of "policeman" as shrugs is wont to call me, but isn't this kind of attitude exactly what is getting us copy protected CDs in the first place?

say again?

say again?

Shrugs? C'mon, I set it all up for you! I figured the minute I "accused" Tjazz of illegal copying, you'd zing me. You going soft in your old age?:) Don't worry, it's all in good fun anyway.

Later,

Kevin