What's your Dexter Gordon IQ.

Hardbopjazz

11 out of 12. I missed #7... didn't think hard enough. ^_^ Besides #5, there was another question that seemed odd- the one about which pianist was on the 1970's bebop album... which they didn't name. :unsure: I was looking around for a cover image.

Uh, Wynton Kelly on The Jumpin Blues?

I'm sorry Jim, but I'm going to have to revoke your status as a true-blue Dex-aholic.

:g

Figured I was going to get at least 11. Only got 10. :tdown I'm a perfectionist (but only when it comes to jazz, as my wife often tells me!) Missed the Scott question (I'm wondering about that one, though. I never thought of Ronnie as a "free" player). Also the last one. I am totally unaware of that album, and guessed Baker. I should have known it was Newman, but I kind of figured his chops were a little over the hill by that point. Guess not.

Got 'em all. AND I felt good when I saw "Something Different" mentioned since I chose the title for that recording. :)

Seriously? What was your connection to the folks at Steeplechase that they were soliciting suggestions for the title?

I set up and operated the US offices of SteepleChase around 1980. Welcome to the world of the jazz record biz.

Got 'em all. AND I felt good when I saw "Something Different" mentioned since I chose the title for that recording. :)

Seriously? What was your connection to the folks at Steeplechase that they were soliciting suggestions for the title?

I set up and operated the US offices of SteepleChase around 1980. Welcome to the world of the jazz record biz.

OK. But Something Different was recorded/released in 1975.

I guess it took a while before you got the go ahead to set up the US office.

It was not released in 1975. Where the farque do you get this info? It, like other SCS Dexter masters were held back to cash in on the Columbia promotions.

Duh!

Edit to add that in Denmark (at least at the time) the musicians didn't need to get paid until the date was issued. Nils used this to his advantage and regularly recorded multiple dates with musicians at a time and paid later. Not saying that was "bad", just the way it was.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

It was not released in 1975. Where the farque do you get this info? It, like other SCS Dexter masters were held back to cash in on the Columbia promotions.

Duh!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:htk9ikkhbb19

Let me ask you this:

AMG lists

More than You Know

Stable Mable

Swiss Nights Vol 1-3

Something Different

Bouncin' With Dex

as recorded in 1975.

Plus

Strings and Things

Lullabuy for a Monster

Biting the Apple

as 1976 recordings.

Did any] of them come out in those years? How exactly did Steeplechase handle Dexter switching labels? Was it analagous to Miles Davis and Prestige before the switchover to Columbia? Or did they put out one or two LPs in '75-'76, then scour the archives for releasable sessions after Homecoming?

Duh!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:htk9ikkhbb19

Let me ask you this:

AMG lists

More than You Know

Stable Mable

Swiss Nights Vol 1-3

Something Different

Bouncin' With Dex

as recorded in 1975.

Plus

Strings and Things

Lullabuy for a Monster

Biting the Apple

as 1976 recordings.

Did any] of them come out in those years? How exactly did Steeplechase handle Dexter switching labels? Was it analagous to Miles Davis and Prestige before the switchover to Columbia? Or did they put out one or two LPs in '75-'76, then scour the archives for releasable sessions after Homecoming?

So, after being (at worst) a liar and (at best) a braggart you want me to supply you with a bunch of information?

Time for research Dan.