Sports / Finance: Tiger Woods' New $38 Million Crib

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno.....but Phil needs to get away from the thin, clingy fabric, solid color shirts that highlight the middle age man boobs we'll all have to deal with at some point. :D His wife needs to get him into some striped shirts like Ernie or Furyk!

And what's up with all the white belts that were out on the course yesterday? It was like a Jesper Parnevik Solidarity Day Love In! Thought we'd already been there/done that with Jesper a couple of years ago?

img7009931.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jack

Masters: 1963, 1965, 1966, 1972, 1975, 1986

U.S. Open: 1962, 1967, 1972, 1980

British Open: 1966, 1970, 1978

PGA Championship: 1963, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1980

U.S. Amateur: 1959, 1961

Tiger MF Woods

Masters 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005

U.S. Open 2000, 2002

British Open 2000, 2005, 2006

PGA Championship 1999, 2000

U.S. Amateur 1991, 1992, 1993

So Tiger plays the whole Open and hits driver once. If I was him, I'd be messing around with that concept in some upcoming non-major PGA events. I just wonder what would happen if he went after a 7,200 yard course with just a fairway metal. Sure he can bomb with the best of them, but just like with most players, the driver gets you in more trouble than it keeps you out of. Just ask Phil if he wishes he'd been carrying a 3 wood last month at Winged Foot.

Up over and out.

I understand your preference towards cash payments though, I'm that way too. Rather than be considered a nut I prefer to think of my way of thinking as charmingly eccentric.

I also like to think that my family and friends consider me charmingly eccentric, rather than hopelessly out of touch with current ways of financial bobbing and weaving.;)

I had completely forgotten that mortgage interest is deductable in the U.S. It isn't deductable here in Canada.

So, here I would be giving a gift of several thousand dollars to my lender in exchange for their lending me the money to buy my house. Few actually calculate what they will be paying for their house at the end of the lending period, twenty or thirty years from the initial down payment.

The rationale of course to having a mortgage, as opposed to renting or leasing is that equity is built up, which isn't true if one rents or leases.

But, because few, if any prospective home-owners have to come up with the total cost of a house, they wouldn't be able to ever own their own home. So, there's that, coupled with your mortgage interest being deductable which puts the cost of owning a home, if one can come up with the down payment, desireable.

Most people decide whether or not they will pay the price of a home on the market, not by looking at the asking price, but at the monthy payments.

The so-called value of the actual house is often hugely inflated because it can be.

Chances are that they don't really own their home until the end of the mortgage, twenty or thirty years from now.

But, they rationalize, they would be paying someone either way and at least if they have a mortgage, they are also building up equity, which will help them move up to a larger house and a larger mortgage.

BTW, it seems to me that from to time there is talk of discontinuing the deduction for mortgage interest.

But, that deduction is so entrenched that it would be a bold Federal Goverment which would even consider it.

You do have a definite advantage there. The mortgage interest deduction is enormously expensive from a tax collection standpoint and I'm sure that your government has wished, more than once, they could snatch it away.;)

But, all that is the accepted way these days, though I still think that Tiger could have paid cash. You're going to be paying somebody at some time, so most think that the equity they build up if they have a mortgage is worth it.

Go Tiger....With eleven majors as of today, his quest to top Jack Nicklaus's record is becoming more and more a reality every time he plays!!! :P

Here's what Tiger Woods accomplished with his British Open win on Sunday:

• Ties Walter Hagen for second on the all-time major championships list as a professional with 11. Jack Nicklaus has 18.

• Becomes the 19th player in Open Championship history to win the tournament three times.

• Becomes the first player to win back-to-back Open Championships since Tom Watson (1982-83).

• Surpasses the $60-million mark in career PGA Tour official money with $60,034,324.

• Wins in defense of a title for the 14th time in his career.

Source: PGA Tour

The beauty of Tiger's wife reminded me of someting...a bit off topic, but I'm sure most of you can relate.

I've crossed paths with:

Mark Spits

Jack Sikma

Tony Dorsett

Sam Perkins (big jazz fan BTW)

Danny White

Phil Mickleson

Steve Young

Randy Johnson

Michael Cage

and a few dozen more..

Before I recognized them, I had had to take my eyes off their companion. LMAO

Cage was unreal. I lived across the street from him for a year ot two.

He had 50 of what Tiger has without the strings, but golfers are different....