ALBUM COVERS w/ cityscapes, street-scenes, buildings...

Rooster_Ties

Three questions...

1) Who or what the heck was "Moacir Santos Maestro"?

2) What and where is the building on the cover of this album??

3) What in the hell is this doing on Blue Note???

nbn5%20003.jpg

Moacir Santos was part of a wave of Brazilan musicians who came to the States invited by Creed Taylor to record watered down bossa tailored to the pop sensibilities of the moment (think Sergio Mendes, Wanda de Sa) following the seminal 1962 CArnegie HAll concert that introduced Amreican audiences to the bossa nova generation. Move to the seventies and the more jazz oriented of those artists, already permanently living in the USA, were working in fusion/jazz. People who had been into jazz before bossa nova, like Flora PUrim, Dom Um Romao, Airto Moreira, Joao Donato, Eumir Deodato.

Moacir Santos also did that brazilian/jazz/fusion thing so representative of that era (I don't like fusion, I prefer the sixties) and recorded for BLue Note, the BN of the Seventies, mind you.

I know of at least one more BN album by him (called Saudade if I remember well) which was recently reissued by Toshiba in Japan. And I think there is a third. The record whose cover is posted here was called Maestro and like his whole BN run is from the mid seventies.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

191403.jpg

Anybody know where this building is/was?? - and what it is/was??

(Came here to post it myself, only to find it was already here.)

It's a sculpture by Antoine Pevsner photographed from an unusual angle. Here's another of his:

72.jpg

And then these ...

Although the Stan Getz cover is a bit of an oddity: Using a FRENCH street scene to illustrate music recorded in SWEDEN? (Or is it an illustration of Verve's/the U.S. view of YURP? "France or Sweden - it's all the same to us ..." :lol: :lol: )

img-120219crdzt.jpg

img-120245j3tx9.jpg

img-122106frste.jpg

img-120307t98dw.jpg

img-120332idglj.jpg

img-120410b3mla.jpg

img-120431no2qw.jpg

img-121556ksexj.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve