Van Basten II

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

1,975 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Brad said:

A shame. I was rooting for Nigeria. Not enough ball possession to forestall Argentina. I can’t see them moving past France. 

Care to make it interesting?;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With reference to Steve's comments, with Peru beating Australia, they probably decided to take it easy.  Shades of 82.

Dmitry, I'd like to but my dislike is too pronounced to see the matter objectively.  Even if they beat France, they won't make past it the quarters.

With reference to Steve's comments, with Peru beating Australia, they probably decided to take it easy.  Shades of 82.

Dmitry, I'd like to but my dislike is too pronounced to see the matter objectively.  Even if they beat France, they won't make past it the quarters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brad said:

Dmitry, I'd like to but my dislike is too pronounced to see the matter objectively.  Even if they beat France, they won't make past it the quarters.

Now you're stoking my impulsivity...I was ready to offer a modest jazz-related bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, you’re on. A cd of your choice if you win and vice versa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s do it.

Vamos Albiceleste!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Les Bleus!

 

0BAE711E-1BF0-430B-BB63-ED73248C2B2F.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at today's matches, I'm hoping that Mexico wins their group and Brasil comes in second so that Spain, if it wins, doesn't have to face Germany or Brasil in their side of the bracket, not that we couldn't beat them, but it would make thing, on the surface, to be easier. Of course, as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spain is playing Russia on Sunday. We're going to watch this game in Madrid. How cool is that?!
My son is going to the Real Madrid summer training camp for two weeks, and we're dropping him off at the Santiago Bernabeu Sunday afternoon.

I think today, pound for pound, is going to be the best game day overall. It's do or die for most of these teams. I will obstain from making predictions.

 

Edited by Dmitry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very cool.  I haven't been in Spain in a very long time.  I wish I was there with you. I assume -- or hope -- you will be rooting for La Selección on Sunday.  Years ago, when I lived in Madrid, I went to Copa del Rey final at the Bernabéu, which was a 15 minute walk from our apartment.  Back then it was called the Copa del Generalísimo and I believe Franco was at the match.  I think Barcelona won the match.  History repeats itself. By the way, have you read Sid Lowe's book about Real and Barcelona and Spanish politics.  It's tremendous.

Yes, today should be great.  A couple of people I know, who are not football fans, were complaining about the French Denmark match.  I told them that an air of desperation was missing from that match and they should watch today. I will have my tv tuned to one channel and my iPad on mute so I can watch the other match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Brad said:

That is very cool.  I haven't been in Spain in a very long time.  I wish I was there with you. I assume -- or hope -- you will be rooting for La Selección on Sunday.  Years ago, when I lived in Madrid, I went to Copa del Rey final at the Bernabéu, which was a 15 minute walk from our apartment.  Back then it was called the Copa del Generalísimo and I believe Franco was at the match.  I think Barcelona won the match.  History repeats itself. By the way, have you read Sid Lowe's book about Real and Barcelona and Spanish politics.  It's tremendous.

Yes, today should be great.  A couple of people I know, who are not football fans, were complaining about the French Denmark match.  I told them that an air of desperation was missing from that match and they should watch today. I will have my tv tuned to one channel and my iPad on mute so I can watch the other match. 

That's phenomenal ! These days you couldn't get a ticket for the El Clasico, unless you are a full member of either club, which, in case of Barcelona, is nearly impossible, unless you marry into the member's family, and for Real, can take several years.

I just ordered the Sid Lowe book, it'll wait for me when we get back from our trip. Thanks for the recommendation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Dmitry said:

I

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Spain is playing Russia on Sunday. We're going to watch this game in Madrid. How cool is that?!
My son is going to the Real Madrid summer training camp for two weeks, and we're dropping him off at the Santiago Bernabeu Sunday afternoon.

I think today, pound for pound, is going to be the best game day overall. It's do or die for most of these teams. I will obstain from making predictions.

 

I was watching Portugal- Spain game in the main public square of Lisbon (Praca do Commercio). The vibe there was unbelievable, very positive, even when Spain took the lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Sweden looking on a pace to win, Germany looks to be in deep you know what. However, if Germany scores, Mexico is out. As they say in Spanish, que lío. What a mess. 

Mexico is getting their asses kicked. 

Edited by Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF! Amazing. Being a champion has its disadvantages.  

Mexico has gone from contenders to pretenders in my book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the worst day for Germany since May 9, 1945. Meanwhile, Mexicans totally owe their good fortune to Koreans. What a start to a day!

Is it too much to ask for Serbs to play like Koreans against Brazil?

Edited by mandrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brad said:

With Sweden looking on a pace to win, Germany looks to be in deep you know what. However, if Germany scores, Mexico is out. As they say in Spanish, que lío. What a mess. 

Mexico is getting their asses kicked. 

Say it in full: "Jo...! Que lío!" :D

Well, nobody can say this is a championship for the faint-hearted ...

I guess everybody over here who's halfway objective will have to say the German team had it coming to them. They just did not get their act together. My family watched while I was tinkering away intn he garage, and the way they just told me, sometime during the first half the speaker on German TV told the spectators "Make no mistake, you are watching the match in real time, this is NOT a slow-motion replay!" Isn't that telling?

 

 

 

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mandrill said:

Perhaps the worst day for Germany since May 9, 1945. Meanwhile, Mexicans totally owe their good fortune to Koreans. What a start to a day!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, erwbol said:

 

Too bad Koreans had no chance to advance. But Mexico owes them A LOT. Didn't see that game but looks like Sweden just torn them apart...yet they're still marching on...Probably not far with a game like that.

Edited by mandrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Germany finally has to accept they need to rebuild .... no tested star players on this squad anymore and as collective the team doesn`t have high ceiling .... so at the end the result mirrors the (tough) realtiy of German soccer as of today ....

Edited by soulpope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A really enjoyable afternoon's football. Germany did look bereft of ideas but with players of the quality of Brandt, Kimmich and Kroos they'll be back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

A really enjoyable afternoon's football. Germany did look bereft of ideas but with players of the quality of Brandt, Kimmich and Kroos they'll be back. 

I’m not sure I wholeheartedly agree about being bereft of ideas. We have to credit the SK defense, especially the goalie. He was all over the place. I wonder how many saves he made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FOX Sports BrasilVerified account @FoxSportsBrasil

 
 
 
 

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

A really enjoyable afternoon's football. Germany did look bereft of ideas but with players of the quality of Brandt, Kimmich and Kroos they'll be back. 

I was 100% sure of the German victory, so I was watching the Mexico-Sweden gamre, and only switched in the last 20 minutes, when it was all over for Mexico at 0:2. I wouldn't call Germans bereft of anything other than luck. They took at least 10-15 shots on goal in those last 20 minutes, just couldn't  put it in the net. 

So, premature ejaculation for Germany. Thank you, Mr.Korean goalkeeper, and Herr Hummels!

Mexico is very-very luck to progress. Swedes showed everyone how to effectively neutralize them. 

Has Löw resigned yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, the first goal by Koreans is a good pro argument for VAR.

Edited by mandrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.