• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PaulGalbraith.jpg

French Impressions

Paul Galbraith

Debussy & Ravel on 8 string classical guitar. He uses an end pin and holds his guitar like a cello. :tup:tup:tup

Now that does look interesting! I'll be following that up...thanks.

This disc frequently gets repeated spins around here. I love it, I'm thinking of getting his Bach Sonatas and Partitas & the Lute Suites.

Edited by 7/4

• 1 month later...

You won't find the complete piano works of Debussy under his name, but, if you like this music, you really shouldn't neglect the recordings of the great Czech pianist Ivan Moravec : these are the most colourful, exquisite renditions of works like Images I and II, suite bergamasque, Préludes, hommage à Rameau, pour le piano ondine and others I have ever heard.

They should still be available under the label Vox and Supraphon : at the time of recording (1969) they made the Connoisseur company famous for the quality of the playing and the recorded sound.

Unfortunately, many of the Debussy-Connoisseur have not yet been released in CD format :angry: ...one more reason to grab the still existing ones!

You might have a look at this site : http://www.ivanmoravec.net/albums/al-cdx5103.html

Edited by michel devos

• 5 months later...

jacobs-debussy-preludes-books-one-two.jpg

NPR Dubs Paul Jacobs's "Quite Remarkable" Debussy Preludes Essential Listening

Paul Jacobs, the late pianist and harpsichordist for the New York Philharmonic, recorded the piano works of composer Claude Debussy for Nonesuch Records in the 1970s, albums that were later reissued on CD in the 1980s. The NPR Classical 50, a weekly series from NPR recommending "50 essential recordings for everyone from first-timers to fanatics," this week adds to the list Jacobs's Nonesuch recordings of the Debussy Preludes, "little pieces that had a big influence on the music world," says host Fred Child.

mo'

• 9 months later...

I've always prefered Debussy by french pianists.

You (who ever you are) should listen to this versions of:

- Etudes (Douze Etudes, livre I & II+ ... D'un cahier d'esquisses, Masques, l'Isle joyeuse) by Alain Planès (Harmonia Mundi, 1997)

- Oeuvres (Images Livre I, Images Livre II, Le Martyre de Saint Sébastien, Masques, Estampes, Hommage à Haydn, Berceuse héroïque) by Alice Adler (Erato/ XXe Siècle vol. 10, recorded 1991, published 1996)

- Préludes Livre I (1909/10) + Jeux (Debussy's Transcription, 1913) by Alice Adler (Pianovox, 1999)

- Préludes Livre II (1910/ 1912) + Elégie, Children's Corner By Alice Adler (Pianovox, 2001)

Edited by P.L.M

• 2 years later...

I'm having somewhat of a hard time getting into Debussy's piano music ... the only recordings that really did it for me so far are Marcelle Meyer's (which I think haven't been mentioned her).

Not sure what the problem is, but it's most likely on my end ... anyway, Meyer is wonderful, I find.

Gieseking, François and Ciccolini are others I've listened to, but none of them really grabs me so far.

• 3 weeks later...

After half a day of Ciccolini's Debussy, I think I've found another one I enjoy hearing with these pieces.

Got Bolet (a disc of Préludes) and Benedetti Michelangeli (what's in the DG box) ready to try again, also Gieseking (what's in the ICON, two disc's worth, I think).

But I guess the bubbly, sparkling Meyer remains on top for the time being.

• 5 months later...

Debussy2_zps3fac9b0a.jpg

I needed some of Debussy's chamber music and found these. Quite happy with them.

Musique De Chambre

1. Fêtes 06:14
2. Prélude à l'après midi 09:37
3. Rhapsodie Clarinette 07:57
4. Syrinx (Trumpet) 02:39
5. Sonate pour flûte, alto et harpe : pastorale 06:48
6. Sonate pour flûte, alto et harpe : interlude 05:53
7. Sonate pour flûte, alto et harpe : finale 04:48
8. Rhapsodie pour saxophone et piano 10:25
9. Syrinx (Flute) 02:43
10. Sonate pour violoncelle et harpe - Prologue 04:20
11. Sonate pour violoncelle et harpe - Sérénade 03:32
12. Sonate pour violoncelle et harpe - Finale 03:48
13. Danses - Danse sacrée 04:26
14. Danses - Danse profane 04:54
and...
Debussy1_0001_zps8a1b4c6c.jpg

Danses sacrée et profane pour harpe et cordes (1904)
1 - Danse sacrée 4’47
2 - Danse profane 5’00
3 – Syrinx pour flûte 2’56
Sonate violoncelle et piano (1915)
4 - Prologue 4’29
5 - Sérénade 3’05
6 - Finale 3’32
Sonate pour flûte, alto et harpe (1915)
7 - Pastorale 7’35
8 - Interlude 6’14
9 - Finale 4’50
Sonate violon et piano (1917)
10 - Allegro vivo 4’51
11 - Intermède (fantasque et léger) 4’18
12 - Finale (très animé) 4’30

I have fond memories of the chronological Intégrale pour piano seul de Debussy performed by Alain Planès in Grenoble back in 2005. Sober, intimate and beautifully executed. I haven't listened to the following 5-CD set yet, recorded between 2000 and 2006 and released in 2009.

MI0002843438.jpg

Debussy piano works requires virtuosity of fingers and mind; VERY few musicians have both. In 2013, the best recordings en masse to date are those of

* Jean-Efflam Bavouzet

* Pascal Roge

* Zoltan Kocsis

Ya'll might enjoy x # of recordings to one degree or another but they're 3/4 measures at best and FACT all records with ANY Kuijkens are dull dull dull... a cpl or three Telemann chamber pieces aside. This is said from painful experience and if you've recorded as much that family and never been the best or even near so in ANYTHING... it's absurd.

Alain Planes on record is a dud-- maybe better live??-- "sober" indeed, which is one reason his Haydn was a botch and his Schubert was no good either. Crossley is merely OK but if you have access to decent used CDs, Cecile Ousset is a great Debussian--

Marcel Meyer is worthy, likewise Alfred Cortot. (skip the Geiseking hype.)

Edited by MomsMobley