• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

On January 30, 2008

UCCO 9181(2CD+DVD) Corea, Chick(p) & Hiromi Uehara(p) / Duet 3500

This is on the way to me as we speak. Should be good! Too bad the

DVD only includes a duet performance of Spain and not a whole set.

TOCJ 7085 Coltrane, John(ts) / Blue Train +2 1700

Finally! :excited:

Oh, wait... I actually meant this one:

UCCO 5161 Rollins, Sonny(ts) / Reel Life 1800

Finally! :excited: The last Sonny Rollins studio album still missing from my collection!

Anybody got any rec's on these upcoming reissues ? Judging by what I can glean from the covers on HMV Japan they sound interesting ;

BVCJ 35103 Greenlee, Charles(tb) / Genius Of* 2310

BVCJ 35104 Harris, Beaver(ds) / From Ragtime To No Time* 2310

BVCJ 35105 Whitaker, Harry(p) / Black Renaissance* 2310

BVCJ 35106 Ruff, Robert(b) / Shaza-Ra* 2310

BVCJ 35107 Murray, Sunny(ds) / Apple Cores* 2310

BVCJ 35108 Matthews, Art(p) / Easy To Remember* 2310

BVCJ 35109 Kalaparusha(sax) / Kwanzaa* 2310

BVCJ 35110 Brooks, Roy(ds) / Live At Town Hall* 2310

On January 30, 2008

UCCO 9181(2CD+DVD) Corea, Chick(p) & Hiromi Uehara(p) / Duet 3500

This is on the way to me as we speak. Should be good! Too bad the

DVD only includes a duet performance of Spain and not a whole set.

Seems like some Japanese online stores were misinformed. I just got the set and

according to the packaging the DVD includes not only Spain but the following tracks:

1. Fool on the Hill

2. Concierto de Aranjuez / Spain

Haven't watched it yet...

Buyer beware with these DSD remaster jobs. I've heard seven of them so far — some are just fine, but others (Art Pepper's Intensity for one) seem overly scrubbed and come with tape warble that I don't hear even on the OJC's. These weren't done by Tamaki Beck & Co., and, based only on the limited number I've heard, I'd still recommend the 20-bit K2's.

One that does sound excellent: Art Farmer's When Farmer Met Gryce.

Buyer beware with these DSD remaster jobs. I've heard seven of them so far — some are just fine, but others (Art Pepper's Intensity for one) seem overly scrubbed and come with tape warble that I don't hear even on the OJC's.

Thanks for letting us know, Late. And nice to see you here, BTW! Now, I'm not here much these days, but... :)

Buyer beware with these DSD remaster jobs. I've heard seven of them so far — some are just fine, but others (Art Pepper's Intensity for one) seem overly scrubbed and come with tape warble that I don't hear even on the OJC's. These weren't done by Tamaki Beck & Co., and, based only on the limited number I've heard, I'd still recommend the 20-bit K2's.

How about 'Meets The Rhythm Section'? Can you rate that one? good, bad ...ugly??????

......or the Kenny Drew Trio? :unsure:

How about 'Meets The Rhythm Section'? Can you rate that one? good, bad ...ugly??????

Haven't heard the Drew, but Meets The Rhythm Section is pretty good. I haven't heard the K2 of that title, but would like to for comparison. For some reason, the DSD remaster of Meets sounds the best (to me) on the bonus track. The DSD Pepper-Marsh title I'd recommend without hesitation: doesn't sound scrubbed.

I guess my main gripe with these new DSD remasters is that I don't always hear the "air" between the instruments as you often can on the K2s. One interesting thing, however, is that these DSD remasters appear to not be overly compressed. The volume level is actually quite low.

Again, these statements are made only after listening to (and owning) seven of the titles.

Haven't heard the Drew, but Meets The Rhythm Section is pretty good. I haven't heard the K2 of that title, but would like to for comparison. For some reason, the DSD remaster of Meets sounds the best (to me) on the bonus track. The DSD Pepper-Marsh title I'd recommend without hesitation: doesn't sound scrubbed.

I guess my main gripe with these new DSD remasters is that I don't always hear the "air" between the instruments as you often can on the K2s. One interesting thing, however, is that these DSD remasters appear to not be overly compressed. The volume level is actually quite low.

Again, these statements are made only after listening to (and owning) seven of the titles.

Hi Late:

I have maybe 12 of these DSD remasters and they all sound very good. I cannot detect any signs of scrubbed sound.

All the titles I have bought are new to my collection, so don't have K2 remasters to compare. I agree with your observation that these appear not to be overly compressed. I noticed I was turning up the volume just a notch to get the sound pop into place. I don't know if it is my imagination or what but these remasters have a certain relaxed presentation. The sound is presented in a less etched? manner. Not certain if it is the DSD remastering or the engineers.

I guess I have been lucky in my choises and haven't had any problem remasters.

Michael

Hi Late:

I have maybe 12 of these DSD remasters and they all sound very good. I cannot detect any signs of scrubbed sound.

All the titles I have bought are new to my collection, so don't have K2 remasters to compare. I agree with your observation that these appear not to be overly compressed. I noticed I was turning up the volume just a notch to get the sound pop into place. I don't know if it is my imagination or what but these remasters have a certain relaxed presentation. The sound is presented in a less etched? manner. Not certain if it is the DSD remastering or the engineers.

I guess I have been lucky in my choises and haven't had any problem remasters.

Michael

It could very well be that I'm so used to the 20-bit K2 masters that the DSD remasters just sound "different," and I'm not used to them yet. I'm sure my ears will adjust a little, but the DSD's that I have that were originally on Contemporary seem (to me) to not have that great DuNann sound, which I thought would flourish in the DSD setting.

I told myself a while ago not to go (again) down the "sound junkie" road, and here I am strolling along — and my system's probably not sensitive enough to really reveal some of the finer subtleties ... :rolleyes:

It could very well be that I'm so used to the 20-bit K2 masters that the DSD remasters just sound "different," and I'm not used to them yet. I'm sure my ears will adjust a little, but the DSD's that I have that were originally on Contemporary seem (to me) to not have that great DuNann sound, which I thought would flourish in the DSD setting.

I told myself a while ago not to go (again) down the "sound junkie" road, and here I am strolling along — and my system's probably not sensitive enough to really reveal some of the finer subtleties ... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: I love the line in this seller's item description for all of these Steeplechase titles ("A rare and hard to find Japan mini lp CD!"). Well, yeah....I guess they would be rare since the official release date isn't for 3 weeks yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKIE-MCLEAN-DEXTER-G...bayphotohosting

VACZ 1120(24 bit) Jordan, Duke(p) / Flight To Denmark* 2625

VACZ 1121(24 bit) Drew, Kenny(p) / Dark Beauty* 2625

VACZ 1122(24 bit) Drew, Kenny(p) / Duo* 2625

VACZ 1123(24 bit) Montoliu, Tete(p) / Tete* 2625

VACZ 1124(24 bit) Gordon, Dexter(ts) / Bouncin' With Dex* 2625

VACZ 1125(24 bit) Drew, Kenny(p) / If You Could See Me Now* 2625

VACZ 1126(24 bit) McLean, Jackie(as) & Dexter Gordon(ts) / The Meeting* 2625

VACZ 1127(24 bit) Jordan, Duke(p) / Teo Loves* 2625

VACZ 1128(24 bit)(2 CD) Getz, Stan(ts) / Live At Montmartre* 3675

VACZ 1130(24 bit) Montoliu, Tete(p) / Tete A Tete* 2625

I was a bit sceptical when I recently bought some K2-remastered OJCs (VICJ-41xxx series) from chinese sellers on Ebay ($8-10). But they are definitely legit. The CDs have the usual smooth edges of japanese pressings, and the mini-LP cover and paper inserts are also in excellent quality.

The Steeplechases for auction from that eBay seller are from 2002 (cat. no. VACS).

Not that I understand how all these Japanese CDs is suddenly turning up in China.

Oh, yeah..stupid me :blush:...I now see the 2003 at the bottom of the obi. Hadn't even looked closely before, just assumed it was the new ones. :w

Behind again?

I was a bit sceptical when I recently bought some K2-remastered OJCs (VICJ-41xxx series) from chinese sellers on Ebay ($8-10). But they are definitely legit. The CDs have the usual smooth edges of japanese pressings, and the mini-LP cover and paper inserts are also in excellent quality.

Having seen your earlier posts I decided to take the plunge and picked up about a dozen of them from two different vendors in China. The estimated shipping time is 21-35 days -- on an oil freighter that makes stops first in Sapporo, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski and the Aleutians, I guess?? :ph34r: