African Music

baptizum

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lengthy interview with Kandia Kouyate on Afropop.org - can'rt recall if she mentioned any connections to Batourou Sekou Kouyate, but it's certainly possible.

Afropop's interface has been overhauled (sort of), and it's not nearly as easy to find archived material there as it used to be. Will post a link to the interview if I can find it.

Interview: http://www.afropop.org/multi/interview/ID/29/

Bio (long): http://www.afropop.org/explore/artist_info/ID/638/Kandia%20Kouyat%C3%A9/

I'm sure that either Banning Eyre (of Afropop) or Lucy Duran would be able to track down the info.

MG, I am so there on Ghanian and Nigerian highlife! :)

Thanks for the links! :)

Got an e-mail from Sterns with a pre-release offer on this one.

stcd3060-61.jpg

Kouyate Sory Kandia (as he's always been known professionally) was one of THE great voices of the twentieth century. This 2 CD compilation includes a lot of very great stuff he recorded for Syliphone.

However, you can get EVERYTHING he recorded on Syliphone, as a leader, not as a member of Les Ballets Africaines, on 3 Syllart CDs, all of which are available on e-music.

I've ordered the new issue, despite having all the Syllart CDs, simply for the 40 page sleeve note, probably by Graeme Counsel.

The pre-release sale lasts until 16 Feb, if you want a set for a tenner (sterling).

MG

Well, I got my stuff from Sterns this morning

stcd3060-61.jpg

Sleeve notes were actually written by Justing Morel Jr, who wrote many notes for Syliphone, back in the day. Listening to it on the little CD player in the dining room. Sound seems quite good, may be better than the Syllart releases. Will compare them in a week or 2.

While at Sterns, I ordered a few other things

cdas89715.jpg

This seems to be material from the early seventies, originally issued on the TYC label and now compiled by African Songs. Lurve Gnonnas Pedro!

I also picked up a few cheapos from Ghana, in a sale.

lee2000.jpg

Pleasant Reggae with a touch of Highlife. Enjoyed this a lot.

obrafour001.jpg

More Reggae, this with more than a touch of Hip Hop.

vashr2001-1.jpg

Pleasant Hiplife album, sometimes hitting quite good.

6492923.jpg

Very poppy Highlife/Reggae stuff.

MG

What's the Dennis Mpale track on disc 1 of vol 3 like?

I have a late 80s K7 of him and he's MUCH less interesting than the least interesting Donald Byrd album you've ever heard (especially if you've heard some of his ELektra albums).

MG

It's OK. Not one of the best in the set but a decent recording.

It's a tune with a pronounced South African feel to it, probably a bit too long with a decent solo by Dennis Mpale on trumpet (OK, he's not world-beating!) and a much better solo by KIppie Moeketsi on alto sax.

I just think that for anyone with little or no knowledge of South African music from this period this boxset represents outstanding value at less than £10 all in. Strut Records should be congratulated for putting it out.

51HIaZMyIKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now playing: Anthology of World Music - Africa: Music of Rwanda (Rounder). Mid-50's recordings of music of the Tutsi, Hutu, and Twa people.

My wife's sister and her family were living in Rwanda (and my late father-in-law was visiting from Nebraska) in 1990, when the civil war broke out. Their stories are pretty interesting - they drove back home from the hotel where they were vacationing, and gathered whatever they could in 15 minutes before setting out for the border. They bribed the border guard to let them through. A couple of years later my brother-in-law went back to check on their house. A general was living there; he didn't offer any compensation and my brother-in-law didn't press the issue.

Edited by jeffcrom

51HIaZMyIKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now playing: Anthology of World Music - Africa: Music of Rwanda (Rounder). Mid-50's recordings of music of the Tutsi, Hutu, and Twa people.

My wife's sister and her family were living in Rwanda (and my late father-in-law was visiting from Nebraska) in 1990, when the civil war broke out. Their stories are pretty interesting - they drove back home from the hotel where they were vacationing, and gathered whatever they could in 15 minutes before setting out for the border. They bribed the border guard to let them through. A couple of years later my brother-in-law went back to check on their house. A general was living there; he didn't offer any compensation and my brother-in-law didn't press the issue.

Fascinating story. News broadcasts and articles for most of us was reality for part of your family.

From the Kindred Spirits website:

Touki Ba Banjul is a compilation of the Gambian psych sensation Guelewar who played a major part in the development of the Afro Manding sound. From 1979-1982 the band released four albums, featuring some of Gambia's best funk tunes. This official first time ever reissue features the highlights of their career.

Before Guelewar, Laaye N’Gorn, the lead singer of the band, was already one of Gambia’s most celebrated artists. He was the centre figure in The Supreme Eagles, with whom he played as the main act in one of Gambia’s succesful clubs ‘The Bambo No.1 Night Club’. In return for the succes the clubmanager offered them instruments, after which they renamed their band to the Super Alligators. Due to the mixture of western influences such as soul and funk with traditional and regional rhythms like boogaraboo and sawrouba, The Super Alligators had a unique sound. The result of this blend is known as the psychedelic sound of Gambia (Senegal).

In 1973 the Super Alligators decided to rename the group to Guelewar, Wolof’s for ‘noble warrior’.

After a turbulent couple of years with many musicians joining and leaving the band, Laaye managed to reform the band in order to record their first album in 1977. Over the course of the following five years Guelewar released a total of four albums, which are all filled with deep psychedelic funk gems. Due to the limited pressings, these albums are very much sought after by collectors. Kindred Spirits compiles the highlights of these albums which are presented on this double LP. Touki Ba Banjul is not only a must have for collectors of African music, but for music lovers worldwide.

TRACKS:

1. Sama Yaye Demma N'Dar

2. Sunu Makaan

3. Ya Mom Sumaray

4. Njarama

5. Tasito

6. Wollou

7. Kele Fasane

On a different subject, the second of four of this group has been reissued:

lijadusiste_motherafr_101b.jpg

Edited by Stefan Wood

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally had a chance to listen to two of the last African CDs I picked up at Dusty Groove

bamba_sorry_sorrybamb_101b.jpg

Sorry Bamba, vol. 1

and

orchestrepo_firstalbu_101b.jpg

The Sorry Bamba has a lot of flute playing on it. In general, I don't find this quite as compelling as a lot of other African music. However, I really like the 3rd track -- Gambari -- which I think is a stand out track. I find it really odd that it is coming out on Thrill Jockey. Anyway, I like his new CD Dogon Blues better overall.

I have really mixed feelings about the Poly-Rythmo Orchestra CD. What Analog Africa has done is track down the original test pressing of their 1st LP which was scrapped due to excess background noise. The group then had to recut the entire album the same day, and that was issued. Analog Africa have cleaned up the first test pressing. On this CD you then get 2 tracks from the original issued LP and 2 tracks from the scrapped session. Personally, I feel ripped off given that the album is so short (34 minutes roughly) and the scrapped tracks still aren't in the greatest of sound. I would have wanted to get the entire original issued LP and then the 2 scrapped tracks as bonus tracks (that would have come in around 50 minutes). Basically, you end up with a product that is neither fish nor fowl.

It reminds me a bit of the fiasco on Ellington's Indigos where you have to get the LP and the CD for all the takes of one of the songs (Autumn Leaves perhaps?), but with material that is far, far rarer. It's not like I am ever going to be able to find the original LP. I feel it is a huge missed opportunity, and I'm not super happy with the results anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I read through this thread last night and found it very useful. I am currently writing my dissertation on African history, based on field research I did in Namibia. The topic is corporal punishment, a gloomy subject to say the least. As I've been thinking ahead to where I want to take my career after this chapter is finished, I've been thinking a lot about using music as a way to understand cultural exchanges on the continent. I got this idea after listening to some of the truly haunting music (Chemirocha comes to mind) found in the Hugh Tracey recording series released by SWP records. I've been incorporating more African music into the way I teach African history, and lately I've been listening a lot to the four-disc Dust-to-Digital set, and more recently some of the offerings on Strut Records and on Analog Africa. The Mbaqangwa music found on the Next Stop-Soweto set is fantastic stuff.

I've also been listening to a lot of West African, Afrobeat music, but it seems to me that the reissues we are seeing now perhaps focus too heavily on West Africa and especially on the music from the 1970s. I think I'd like to see more releases from the colonial period, and probably more releases of music collected by ethnographers rather than popular releases.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd like to see more releases from the colonial period, and probably more releases of music collected by ethnographers rather than popular releases.

More and more is becoming available. For really early stuff, check out the Secret Museum of Mankind series on Shanachie. There were some really good traditional music field recordings in the original Nonesuch Explorer Series.

Original Music (defunct label) had some terrific releases that focused on African popular music from the 30s forward. It's hard to find copies of the CDs, but worth the hunt.

As for a lot of current reissues being focused on music that appeals to Westerners, I agree!

Last week was supposed to be the release date for the latest Analog Africa release, The Bariba Sound, but all the usual suspects seem to have delayed shipment. Any idea what is going on with this one?

It's for sale on dustygroove.com right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week was supposed to be the release date for the latest Analog Africa release, The Bariba Sound, but all the usual suspects seem to have delayed shipment. Any idea what is going on with this one?

It's for sale on dustygroove.com right now.

61cBfLJPlTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got it, playing it right now. Another solid release by the guys from Analog Africa. A nice mixture of mellow rhumba sounds, and that killer afrobeat groove!

5483236350054.jpeg

From Soundway:

This extraordinary, dark , moody and experimental offering from teenage Ghanaian afro rock outfit Edzayawa (Pronounced Ed - Zye - Ow - Ahh) is one the more obscure and unique releases that Soundway have brought back to life over the past ten years. Arriving in Lagos from Togo in the spring of 1973 the band were taken under the wing of Fela Kuti. After a run of appearances on the bill at his Shrine club they were signed by EMI Nigeria's visionary in-house producer Odion Iruoje. Over two days in May 1973 they recorded Projection One, which was their one and only release before disbanding two years later.

The majority of their songs were based around a 6/8 rhythm influenced by the music of the Ewe people from the South East of Ghana and Western Togo. With themes that draw heavily on traditional folklore and deep philosophy the album has a heavy feel that sets itself well apart from the much of the lighter happier highlife of the previous decade. Alongside Fela's first few albums, Blo's Chapter One and Mono Mono's Give The Beggar A Chance this was one of the very earliest Afro - Rock LPs released in West Africa and has remained out of print for nearly forty years. Projection One never got a release in the band's home country of Ghana and apparently sailed way over most peoples heads at the time. Very much like the debut Hedzoleh Soundz album that Soundway re-issued in 2010 (another Ghanaian band that were recorded in Lagos, produced by Iruoje on the recommendation of Fela Kuti) the only copies that made it back to Ghana were the few that the band took back themselves.

:tup

Funky! Very early Afro rock. Minimal playing at times, dark, complex 6/8 rhythms, but excellent.

Edited by Stefan Wood