How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... which Cleveland area used CD shop might this be?....

Its the Exchange in Willoughby, about 10 miles east of Cleveland. And this store usually sucks...until yesterday, and its funny because I go there like once a year and I decided to go there on a whim. Man, that was worth it! Even the non-jazz employees knew they got some good shit in.

Great series - up there with Mosaic in terms of shear all-round brilliance. A good way to discover a lot of great artists whose work was fairly new to me (Thigpen a good example). I'm missing a couple - the Jacquet for one. Got hold of the Johnny Smith quite recently and the Tal Mosaic renders the Farlow now surplus to requirements.

That Jacquet/Webster album, The Kid And The Brute, is one of my favorite Elite's of all. I hope you can find a copy. :tup

I picked up The Kid and the Brute this past weekend at a local used record store. Every time I went in over the last 4 months I debated whether or not to pay $40 for it. I'm glad I did! It is a wonderful album!

I also agree with get all those used Elites at that price. You can always trade them to someone else if you don't like them. Apart from taking the "Original Jazz Classics" for granted (in print for so long before sale to Concord; also not really a specific series, but a massive reissue program), the Verve Elite series was far and away my favorite domestic reissue series when considering content, packaging and rarity. Verve did not reissue any of these afterwards and not many had been issued before ("Motion" by Lee Konitz definitely an exception; of course reissued before and after each time without the extra two cd's). Very few showed up as separate Japanese re-issues ("Clark Terry," "Before Dawn" and the "Marquis de Sade" are three that did; also the Joe Gordon that is paired with the Blakey, I believe).

I put it ahead of Blue Note's Conns because so many of the latter were reissued either in Japan or the US, in different configurations.

On the subject of reissue series, I would say my favorite has to be the Bethlehem "The Works" from Japan; 100 CD's many not issued before or since. In contrast to almost every domestic reissue of Bethlehems, which recycle the same titles (maybe those are the big sellers). But, to see "Sounds by Socolow," for example was pretty amazing (I discount the current gray market reissue).

Blue Note's the works 1500 series was a big favorite (especially remembering this board's origins), but fortunately much of the music was reissued several times, so it did not have the rarity aspect of the Bethlehem series.

I would liked to have seen more Sonny Stitt on the Elite series; "Think Well of Me" by Teagarden is also a favorite.

It is great to hear how much people enjoy these--keep it up.

Regards,

Baker

Its the Exchange in Willoughby, about 10 miles east of Cleveland. And this store usually sucks...until yesterday, and its funny because I go there like once a year and I decided to go there on a whim. Man, that was worth it! Even the non-jazz employees knew they got some good shit in.

Nice score. I've never been to that one. The Record Exchange in Cleveland Heights used to be pretty decent once upon a time, as well as Record Revolution, both on Coventry. But these days I don't bother when I'm back in town. Mostly crud and new disks sold at list price. Any other interesting jazz material beyond the stack o' VEE??

The Vice-Pres disc is fine

I went to CD Now to listen to some tracks and now I'm totally not sure about this one. Although I dig organ playing, it sounds kind of old-fashioned here. So I may not pick this one up afterall.

I like the PQ disc a lot (even the organ sessions). Very nice small group swing from an era that's somewhat underrepresented recordingwise-early 50s. The key, to me, is how you feel about Quinichette...if you feel he's completely derivative of Pres, you won't dig it. If you feel PQ is authentic--that somehow Pres' thing is his thing in a personal way, then you'll like it. I like it!

This is an old thread but I have never spotted it before. I also really liked this series, good stuff. There are quite a few that I'd still like to pick up but damn they're usually expensive on the used market unless you get lucky. I've got these...

Billy Bauer - PLECTRIST

INTRODUCING JIMMY CLEVELAND AND HIS ALL STARS

Illinois Jacquet - THE KID AND THE BRUTE (w/ Ben Webster)

Meade Lux Lewis - CAT HOUSE PIANO

Paul Quinichette - THE VICE PRES

Harry Edison - THE SWINGER/MR. SWING (2 CD set)(Jimmy Forrest is basically co-leader)

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I usually skip the organ tracks on the PQ album but consider the rest of it to be great.

Edited by Brute

Nice score. I've never been to that one. The Record Exchange in Cleveland Heights used to be pretty decent once upon a time, as well as Record Revolution, both on Coventry. But these days I don't bother when I'm back in town. Mostly crud and new disks sold at list price. Any other interesting jazz material beyond the stack o' VEE??

Unfortunately, the era of good used cd shopping in the Cleveland area has come to an end. There used to be a CD Warehouse on Coventry too, but they always sucked and went out of business. But you're right both Record Rev and CD/Game exchange largely blow nowadays. The only decent place, believe it or not is the Half Price Books on Mayfield Road. About a year ago, a widow brought in her husband's cd collection for sale and it was all avant garde/free jazz stuff-four boxes of it! I must've spent $500 over the course of a month there!

Concerning the Willow Exchange, they usually suck too and it was just a split second decision to stop in, which I do about once a year. Beyond the VEE's, there was a good deal of Trane on Impulse in nice shape, so I grabbed the ones I didn't have. Some Verve deluxes, LPR's and Verve by Request. All of them are still in print and available. And there was a lot of the Atlantic Deluxe editions too, of which I bought Trane's My Favorite Things and Kirk's The Inflated Tear to replace my badly worn copy. There was also a George Russell VEE, Live at the 5 Spot, which I already have, and a Russell Impulse, NY NY. Beyond that, the usual nonsense.

This is an old thread but I have never spotted it before. I also really liked this series, good stuff. There are quite a few that I'd still like to pick up but damn they're usually expensive on the used market unless you get lucky. I've got these...

Billy Bauer - PLECTRIST

Harry Edison - THE SWINGER/MR. SWING (2 CD set)(Jimmy Forrest is basically co-leader)

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I usually skip the organ tracks on the PQ album but consider the rest of it to be great.

How is CAT HOUSE PIANO?

Billy Bauer - PLECTRIST

How is CAT HOUSE PIANO?

If you like nonstop boogie-woogie piano, you'd love this. For me personally, it gets repetitive after the third or fourth song.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks everyone for your advice. I guess I'll buy the rest of them :rsmile: I won't be able to get back there until Tuesday, so I'll probably call and have them hold 'em for me.

Well I didn't exactly make it back that Tuesday, stuff just kept coming up. But I finally got back there today to pick up the rest of them. But then there was another one on the shelves! This time Art Blakey's "Blakey" for $8!!!!!. I've been looking for that one for a long time so I ended up grabbing that one and once more neglecting to pick up the others. Well actually only the DeFranco/Peterson one is left, but I had no interest in picking that one up after listening to some samples. The strings for me just outright ruin it; the core band would've been just find without'em.

• 1 year later...

...or some such.

What do you mean?

Just speaking in the mode of Harvey Kurtzman.

Oh. Who that? :unsure:

Sorry. American cartoonist, (comics) artist and editor. Founding editor of the original MAD. Was associated with EC comics in the early 50's and edited Frontline Combat and Two-Fisted Tales, for my money their best titles and commonly acknowledged to be among the best war comics of all time. Also started several (sadly short-lived) later satirical comics magazines such as Trump, Humbug, and Help!.

Edited by BruceH

...or some such.

What do you mean?

Just speaking in the mode of Harvey Kurtzman.

Oh. Who that? :unsure:

Sorry. American cartoonist, (comics) artist and editor. Founding editor of the original MAD. Was associated with EC comics in the early 50's and edited Frontline Combat and Two-Fisted Tales, for my money their best titles and commonly acknowledged to be among the best war comics of all time. Also started several (sadly short-lived) later satirical comics magazines such as Trump, Humbug, and Help!.

Cool. Thanks. Learn something new everyday!

The only one I don't have is the Dinah Washington. I threw out the outer sleeves as well. That was a stupid idea!

I also don't have the Washington either - unlikely to go for it too I guess. Once my latest 'presciouses' arrive, I'm only missing the Peterson/DeFranco, Ray Brown and the Teagarden I think. Any movers and shakers amongst that batch?

I keep the boxes though !

Edited by sidewinder