Why have I never heard of. . .Jerry Bergonzi?

Bright Moments

Guest Bill Barton

He's a very talented musician. The man has technique to burn... I heard him live a few times when I still lived in the northeast. He's well-respected as a clinician and teacher too. Personally, he never really reached me on a deeper, visceral level either live or on record, but that may just be me.

I tried a few Gonz CDs way back when and could not connect with him. Felt like just another Coltrane acolyte, and with an unappealing sound on his sax. I think Bill's comment about technique to burn nails it. He's like Jimmy Bruno - all technique, not a lot of soul or feeling. :unsure:

YMMV, of course.

He was with Miles for a quick minute. Bootlegs survive.

The guy caught my ear w/Brubeck back in the day. An individual slant on a generic bag, I thought then (and now). I think he's a better, warmer player than a lot of his recordings might suggest. Word has it that he's actually a somewhat introverted (some might say "quirky") but beautiful individual who's uncomfortable "playing the game", and that his BN sides were produced with the label's "direction" in terms of content, production (including post-production in terms of eq-ing his tone, which to me verges on - or actually is - evil). I've heard a few "private tapes" that tend to confirm all this.

Seeing him in person might be the way to go to get a fuller picture, or not (as per Bill).

Edited by JSngry

This one shows not only a more "individualist" approach, but is a fine tenor saxophone document of recent times.

jb-tenorist.jpg

Cool video, I think I saw that a couple of weeks ago. An excellent, rare chance to check out Mick Goodrick too.

I'd like to check out Tenorist, Abercrombie's on that one. Bergonzi sounds great to me, I'd probably get into his other CDs.

Jerry Bergonzi?

I just heard his SMOKIN' rendition of caravan with Brubeck on piano and i am BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!!

:excited:

A friend of mine had taken some lessons from Bergonzi some years back and was the one who introduced me to Bergonzi's music. That version of Caravan from Brubeck's Down Home recording is pretty bad-assed.

Jerry Bergonzi?

I just heard his SMOKIN' rendition of caravan with Brubeck on piano and i am BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!!

A friend of mine had taken some lessons from Bergonzi some years back and was the one who introduced me to Bergonzi's music. That version of Caravan from Brubeck's Down Home recording is pretty bad-assed.

INDEED!!!

I first heard Jerry Bergonzi with the Dave Brubeck Quartet when they performed in Atlanta in the late 1970s. I've long enjoyed his work and think he is more than a Coltrane disciple, particularly his recordings in recent years. Also worth checking out are:

Fast Company (Blue Jackel)

Standard Gonz (Blue Note)

Peek a Boo (Evidence)

Vertical Reality (Musidisc)

On Again (Ram)

Jerry On Red (Red)

Lineage (Red)

Most of these discs are likely to be out of print.

This one shows not only a more "individualist" approach, but is a fine tenor saxophone document of recent times.

jb-tenorist.jpg

I just put this on before I come over to the computer. Good record. Might have to check out the new one with Abercrombie coming up.

Edited by WorldB3

Guest bluenote82

jb-tenorist.jpg

You saxophonists may want to see this series of short lectures:

JB teaches

I'm not really into Bergonzi's playing, but I dig the way Mick Goodrick played on that video. Mick's a great guitarist, very underrated.

Edited by bluenote82

I was introduced to JB through Joey Calderazzo's Bluenote debut. I bought Standard Gonz and Lineage which I still have but I haven't played them in ages. I haven't played any of Joey's music in a while either. Technique is a tricky thing, isn't it? You can have it in spades but it doesn't guarantee it will come across well to the audience.

• 7 months later...

I have an audio tape of a live broadcast by a Jerry Bergonzi quartet on BBC Radio 3's Jazz Line-Up a few months ago. I hadn't heard him before and was very impressed. He - and the trio, too - seemed deeply influenced by Coltrane from the Crescent period. The trio all had Italian names, so I wonder if he was touring in Europe with an Italian group. Talking of present-day Coltrane-influenced tenors, has anyone heard the L.A.-resident Brit, Benn Clatworthy?

• 1 year later...