Patton Select has just dropped

Gary

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good one MC. guess they forgot to put that one in the liner notes. the one they single out for distortion is "Dirty Fingers" which sounds like it's supposed to be there. Such a shame they didn't have the technology to splice up a good sounding segment courtesy of Japan. I suppose the new JRVG i see has this as well?

Mosaic offer a no-quibble guarantee. Why not cut your losses and send the sets back?

It's not Mosaic's fault that the tapes have been ruined. That's that. It's sad that whoever's responsible for the master tapes of the great Blue Note sessions has/is not transferring these tapes one time to a permanent digital storage medium and leaving the tapes alone after that. Instead they transfer them for a TOCJ. Transfer them again for a JRVG. Transfer them again for a domestic RVG. Transfer them again for a Box Set. You get the picture. With each new transfer, those tapes are threaded on a machine and played, rewound, ect. Not to mention the shipping via Fed Ex, climate changes during shipping. And with 40 year old tape, it doesn't take much of a stretch of imagination to see dropouts happening, tape stretching, breaking.....

I guess I'm as guilty as anyone for buying these constantly remastered editions. But since Blue Note doesn't seem interested in going beyond the ordinary to preserve these tapes, I think we all need to reconsider how we're contributing to the problem of constant reissues destroying the masters.

Also, the TOCJ version of "The Way I Feel" sounded great. Clean, clear. This version isn't as full of life. Why not just use the TOCJ transfer? The constant call to put "newly remastered" on some of these mosaics seems silly wihen nice transfers exist.

Makes you wonder if anyone (especially the mastering engineer and reissuing producer) listens to these things before they're issued. I'm reminded of an interview I read with Steve Hoffman. He said that one big difference between what he does and what's issued by most record labels is that he has the time to do it right, whereas the average engineer has to crank the issues out. Hoffman has good ears, but having enough time no doubt helps. This fiasco does Mosaic's reputation no good. If someone had taken the time to listen, they could have used a previous issue of The Way I Feel and this screwup could have been avoided.

I wish I knew more about the process of remastering and reissuing material and how licensing arrangements work so that I could determine whether Mosaic had other options for transfers for this set or whether they were just sloppy. I don't have any idea how the leasing of material goes. By leasing the material from EMI does Mosaic have the right to use a designated set of tapes or do they have have the rights to use all remasters that were ever done and pick the best one. I suspect its the former. Can they just go and use the TOCJ remastering of this song? Where are those remasters anyways - are they property of EMI? Are they property of Toshiba and is Toshiba an arm of EMI? I guess I'm showing my ignorance of the whole Japanese thing because I have no idea and would guess that control of those TOCJ remasters would be problematic in using them for a Mosaic set.

In my mind,though, Mosaic has made its reputation on being a customer service oriented company. I suspect that if the problem was their fault, they will re-press the disc using the appropriate source material and correct the problem.

I know you all have the right to complain about this problem and respect that as consumers you have the right to expect a perfect product. Me? I am so very glad that I do not make issues like this a priority and that I can enjoy the music - flaws and all. Makes my life a whole lot simpler. I'm going to buy the set and follow the "go to the fridge for a beer" recommendation. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. B)

The reason I'm bummed is because the master tape now has a 15 second segment of music that is now virtually ruined. To most this isn't a big deal. But hey, as silly as it might seem to you...."The Way I Feel" is MY "Love Supreme."

If the jazz community at large found out that the tapes from "A Love Supreme" had be compromised from the remastering process. I think a more than a few would be upset.

I've got the TOCJ. And I urge everyone to buy the Patton set. It's a great set, and yes that 15 seconds isn't going to be worth missing 5 albums worth of great material for. THAT would be ridiculous.

It just hurts me to think that some of this music is being lost for eternity. "The Rock" is a great tune with a POWERFUL intro....that is now gone.

Bummer.

I agree with Soul Stream especially since there's a better tape out there in Japan which could have been used.

I'll buy the set as well (and keep the TOCJ of course) but it's a pitty MC didn't look into this before releasing it (I've mailed him about it and he was surprised this tape did excist).

Cheers,

Reinier

I have to admit that it does sound like a real pain. I have the Tocj after selling the vinyl and it sounds great. If you guys do not get anywhere with Mosaic on this let me know and I will sort out a nicer sounder copy ( although I cannot understand why they cannot do this themselves!!)

See how you get on with this and let me know if I can help as The Way I Feel is a great session and it is a bummer if the tape has been ruined.

Andy :excited: