John Cage

7/4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

did I ever mention that my parents took me to a John Cage concert, possibly at Carnegie Hall, in the early 1960s? All I remember are two huge hi-fi speakers that were on either side of the stage, and a guy who rode across that stage on a bicycle -

sounds familar...

my parents took me to see Cage, I think at Carnegie Hall, mid 1960s -all I remember were two large speakers (one at each side of the stage) and in the middle of the performance, a guy came riding through on a bicycle - I fell asleep, but than, I was only about 11 years old -

:lol:

That's a hell of a lot better than one I went to after he passed. There was a city wide Cage festival and at Summerstage, they were interpreting something...probably a number piece, by playing (real) disco music and dressing up like it was 1975 with platform shoes. I've glad we didn't have to pay for that one!

28682 posts - that would add up to $ 2.868.20 - not enough to give up his day job. If they started paying him from the start, which I seriously doubt. That money is put to better use financing Organissimo CDs ...

They should pay some people for each post they do not post - but that is rather hard to verify ...

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Saw Michael Tilson Thomas 'conduct' "Renga" tonight. Very interesting and entertaining, including narration throughout by Tim Robbins of the "Lecture on Nothing". Pretty hard to explain the structure of this piece, but there were musicians spread beyond the stage into the seating areas and there was a multi-media component consisting of 50s-era film clips and commercials. A featured performer was someone playing "amplified cactus" (which sounded great, btw).

An in-depth description can be found in the program notes here: CAGE: Renga

• 1 month later...