Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Thanks for teh recommendations! I believe I saw otehr Karayorgis discs, but couldn't remember which ones when browsing the Leo site. Any other recommendations?

Not sure about the Carlo Actis Dato, as I got an earful at the shop the day before yesterday, and wasn't really convince of it.

ubu

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The DTM Gallery website has a pretty bleak assessment today of the going fwd availability of the Free America titles.  Any help on locating alternate sources of the AECs and this series would be appreciated.  Cheers, Dan

I read somewhere, maybe this thread, that the editions of those were 5000, so the fact that DMG hasn't seen any over 2000 seems pretty random.

if you're desperate, Amazon's German site seems to have them in stock for 18 euros apiece, and possibly less when you check out, since VAT will be removed (this is what happens when you order from their UK site to be delivered to the US, I've never ordered from the German one)...

http://www.amazon.de

personally, I was kind of hoping the two I wanted, the Art Ensemble-Phase One and Certain Blacks, would show up at Dusty Groove. but they haven't yet, so I snagged the last copies of each when I was at DMG yesterday...

Flurin,

Regarding your difficult Leo choices.

1. All Moscow Composers Orchestra discs are a must! These are some of the best Russian musicians (musicians from Russia, to put it more correctly) and compositions by Vladimir Miller are both interesting and leave enough space for soloing. If you haven't heard Sainkho Namchulak, you are in for a suprise - to me she is THE vocalist of the improvised music.

2. Guyvoronsky/Petrova is one of my favorite Leo discs. Guyvoronsky is a unique trumpeter with excellent technique (somewhat (but only somewhat) similar to Lester Bowie AND Kenny Wheeler), and a very talented composer and stylist, and this is some dark, melodic, emotioanal and honest music.

3. Denzler is excellent - grab it without hesitation.

4. Collective 4tet I like a lot, as I mentioned earlier. As I understand you have one of their discs - the other are more-or-less in the same vein.

5. Ganelin's Trio Alliance is to my mind better than many of the "classic" Ganelin Trio records, and a rare opportunity to hear monster saxophonist Petras Vysniauskas (if there is a his own Leo disc available, buy it as well!).

6. Karayorgis is a very good one - very interestng pianist and Randy Peterson is a formidable drummer.

7. Many of these are quite mediocre, IMO: Locomotive Konkret, Trio Finlandia (mindless noodling), Nagl (annoying vocals!), Doran/Brennan (somewhat cheesy melodic "romantic" stuff - definitely very listenable, and to an extent enjoyable, but I doubt you'll want to listen to it more than once), Sa Zna (musique concrete - type of thing, pretty boring).

8. The rest I either don't have or don't remember. Maslak/Bley could be good. Maslak is a very muscular allo saxophone player with very nice sound and is quite anjoyable, if a bit one-dimensional (I like his other Leo disc - Mother Russia - there is more variety there as the tracks are recorded with different Russian musicians (there is a particualrly strong duo with magnificent Anatoly Vapirov who has actually quite a similar raspy sound on alto, but is a more diverse musician). Carlo Actis Dato is of course a phenomenal musician, but I prefer him as a sideman - his solo projects I heard I find quite tastless and exessive (this one you ask about I don't know). Russian-German Composers Quartet I listened to only once, and don't remember it well (there is a nice Zappa tune cover on it, I think). Tamura is some extreme extended technique trumpet solo, which didn't grab me on the firt listen, but I have to spend more time with it. Remote Viewers are definitely fun decadent stuff.

That's it, I guess.

I'm guessing the topic's been touched on somewhere above, but I'm interested in hearing Daunik Lazro solo. Any recommendations? I haven't heard anything by Lazro, but have read that Joe McPhee lists Lazro's solo work as influential/inspiring.

Late, I have 3-4 discs with Lazro, but no solos.

Indeed a very interesting musician with unique vision.

I have his duo with Joe McPhee, though (on In Situ label, might be OOP now), which I haven't listened to for years (this was one of my first "jazz" CDs -bought in Paris for about $2, confused me quite a bit back then) - I will get back home next week, will listen and report here.

Lazro's duo with violinist Carlos Zingaro on Potlatch Hauts Plateaux is a record of stunning beauty, and is my favorite Lazro (AMG review; Potlatch Hauts Plateaux page). Got my copy at themusicresource.com for $12.75.

Edited by Д.Д.

Thanks a lot David!

Btw: the "Frontier" disc I listed above I got, mixed that up when browsing the Leo site.

Will look for:

- Karayorgis: Heart & Sack (& any other of his discs)

- Moscow Composers Orchestra (all I can find, at least two I think)

- Guyvoroska/Petrova (sounds interesting)

- Collective 4tet

- Trio Alliance

and will get an earful of:

- Bley/Maslak (very ugly cover, but Feigin seems to be rather good in designing those ugly covers...)

- Maslak's "Mother Russia" if it's there

- any Remote Viewers other than the one I have

- Actis Dato (need to find out myself, but I had an earful and found it boring, will invest a bit more time)

Thanks again everybody!

ubu

Btw: the "Frontier" disc I listed above I got, mixed that up when browsing the Leo site.

Let us know about it. I heard jkust a little it of Vladimir Miller and he sounded like an academic version of Cecil Taylor, which I didn't find particularly inspiring.

If there are more Leo Lab titel, look out for thsese ones:

ll022.jpg

The most "jazzy" Mat Maneri I've heard, and Randy Peterson's drumming is just scary (not for nothing he is on the cover)

ll064.jpg

Excellent piano trio (a bit Hill-influenced) with another monster drummer -Rashid Bakr. I like it more than Karayorgis trio (which is also good).

012.jpg

THis one I don't have. It's OOP and should be good.

ll030.jpg

One more good piano trio. Dark, melodic, free.

ll032.jpg

Flute like you've never heard it before.

052.jpg

Gies is not only a terrific saxophoneist, but also a very talented composer. These are mostly very short duo pieces - lively and diverse.

ll059.jpg

One more great solo saxophone records. Fei was Braxton's student, and some influence is aparent, but in general this is very original stuff.

ll070.jpg

Very interesting project with string quartets, (good) opera and improv vocalists and extremely strong writing (and some impressive energetic saxohone soloing by Geis).

ll073.jpg

Denzler/Pfammatter duo. Nearly as good as Y?

Edited by Д.Д.

One Final Note "best of 2004" lists

Integrated List with mini-reviews

Haven't heard many of those, but frankly only Günter/Halliwell/Wastell “+minus [first meeting]” (Trente Oiseaux)

really piques my curiosity. The rest, I can more or less imagine what they sound like. Probably Doneda/Wright/Nakatani "From Between" (Soseditions) as well.

Also, on OFN - this looks interesting: Malcolm Goldstein & Matthias Kaul duo.

Edited by Д.Д.

From Between is really good, as is the +minus. The later Rainy Koran Verse seemed to me a mite less fresh.

Writeup of First Meeting I did for STN:

+Minus

First Meeting

Trente Oiseaux TOCO41

Listening to First Meeting, a collaboration between electroacoustic composer Bernhard Günter and improvisers Mark Wastell and Graham Halliwell, is a gently immersive experience: put it on the headphones and it’s like you’ve put on diving gear, the sounds floating around in the darkness like deepsea jellyfish. Günter’s contribution is twofold. He plays cellotar, an instrument of his own devising whose strange, droning sound suggests both Eastern and Western traditions – as Wastell remarks, it’s “a cello, a violin, a sarangi, and a viola da gamba” rolled into one. In addition, Günter’s hushed electracoustic compositions form the basis of the two longest tracks, “(Plus) One” and “(Plus) Two,” like quiet fires the improvisers gather round and warm themselves at. Wastell’s “amplified textures” are less in evidence on this occasion than his use of Nepalese prayer bowls and a gong, their low tones swinging back and forth like censers between the speakers. Alto saxophonist Halliwell is the most elusive presence here: many of the disc’s high, edgeless, lingering tones and brief bumps, flickers and rumbles are presumably his handiwork, but it would take very keen ears indeed to unpick the fabric of music as finely blended as this is. First Meeting is at once beautiful and exploratory, restrained but never reserved; the mood is calm throughout but full of quiet anticipation. It's essential listening for followers of the current electroacoustic improv scene.

Phillip Johnston's website lists the tracklist forthe new Fast 'N'Bulbous (Captain Beefheart music project)

Pork Chop Blue Around The Rind

Suction Prints - (4:20)

Abba Zaba - (4:24)

When I See Mommy I Feel Like A Mummy - (6:02)

Evening Bell - (1:52)

Pachuco Cadaver - (4:57)

When It Blows Its Stacks - (7:28)

A Carrot Is As Close As A Rabbit Gets To A Diamond - (1:33)

Sugar 'N' Spikes - (2:18)

When Big Joan Sets Up - (2:44)

Dali's Car - (1:19)

Veteran's Day Poppy - (5:29)

Kandy Korn - (4:08)

Tropical Hot Dog Night - (5:22)

Three sound samples are also available: Phillip Johnston's website.

Will be on my next order.

Edited by Д.Д.

Anyone have any experience with either this disk or this grouping?

Madly You (Potlatch)

Daunik Lazro: alto & baritone saxophones

Carlos Alves “Zingaro”: violin

Joëlle Léandre: double bass

Paul Lovens: percussion, musical saw

I have a disc by this (or very similar - not sure about the drummer) rocking combo on In Situ label (I think it is called "Periferia"). I tired to listen to it once and thought it was very static and sluggish - no development whatsoever. Will give it another listen soon.

On the other hand, the duo of Daunik Lazro - Carlos Zingaro "Hauts Plateaux" (Potlatch) is stunning - one of my favorite releases of ... whichevcr year that was - and quite dynamic and even vilent at times (and hauntingly beatiful at other times). You know what, I'd better re-listen to this one, if you do not mind.

---------------------------------

Tony, surely you are working on some highly-sophisticated statistical analysis at the moment?

I was wrong, wrong, wrong on Periferia! Not only the band is different:

Daunik Lazro, alto and baritone saxophones;

Carlos Zingaro, acoustic violin and electronics;

Sakis Papadimitriou, piano;

Jean Bolcato, double bass and voice.

- but also the music is wonderful! I am only a mid-way through the disc, and when I am done with it, I'll post my thoughts here.

is164.gif

Dan Warburton's review from Paristranslatrlantic:

Peripheria

Daunik Lazro / Carlos "Zingaro" / Sakis Papadimitriou / Jean Bolcato:

PERIPHERIA

IN SITU 164

Recorded at Vandoeuvre just two days before "In the Tradition" was "Peripheria", a killer quartet consisting of Daunik Lazro (alto and baritone), Carlos "Zingaro" (violin), Sakis Papadimitriou (piano) and Jean Bloat (bass). Lazro, one of the first important French free (as opposed to jazz) players, and "Zingaro" have been frequent playing partners since the mid-Seventies (and are still active as a duo: check out 1998's "Hauts Plateaux" on Potlatch P 498), and their interplay is formidable — never forced nor violent, but always emotionally charged. Anchored in Bolcato's solid bass and gently underpinned by Papadimitriou's filigree piano work (his solo "Piano Cellules", IS 010, is an unjustly overlooked landmark album of extended piano techniques), this 47-minute set is pure magic from start to finish. Once again the tape was rolling at the right moment: and Didier Petit had the foresight to release the resulting recording for the rest of us.

So whether you're shopping in Paris (in which case feel free to ask for addresses of the best record shops: there ain't that many..) or ordering through In Situ's North Country distributor, I can recommend the above titles (and just about everything else on the label) without reservation. French improv is flourishing, and Didier Petit's label is certainly one of the reasons why.

Edited by Д.Д.

there is quite a list of upcoming discs posted on the Tzadik site. Two that caught my eye are an archival 2cd set of alternate takes of Masada tracks:

Masada: Sanhedrin [#7346-2]

Twenty-nine sterling studio performances never available before from what many consider to be one of the most important instrumental ensembles of the past quarter century. Over two and a half hours of rare alternates, many even more exciting than the original releases, were handpicked by Zorn from the legendary sessions of 1994-1997 and are accompanied by a lush booklet filled with photos, scores, written tributes and remembrances. This pioneering band, that spearheaded Radical Jewish Culture and helped bring Jewish music into the 21st Century, continues to inspire Jews and music lovers the world over with an original musical language of honesty, imagination and originality drawing on many pasts and looks toward a myriad of futures. This is where it all began.

and, what could be very interesting, ideed, a solo trumpet disc from Toshinori Kondo:

Toshinori Kondo: Fukyo [#7255]

One of the most important musicians in Japan, who has collaborated with just about every major music maker in the avant garde since the early 1970’s, Kondo has been splitting his time between Tokyo and Amsterdam for the past ten years. A master of trumpet electronics, this unique recording, created expressly for Tzadik, showcases his extreme trumpet techniques in a series of fascinating miniatures. The trumpet as you’ve never heard it before via the personal and intense vision of one of Japan’s greatest international musical treasures.

I'm hoping the title of the Kondo disc has a real Japanese translation and isn't a bad pun on an english expletive.

Also, an interesting new release from trumpeter Greg Kelley on Fargone records. I'm not familiar with the label.

Almost two years ago, improv trumpeter Greg Kelley released a pair of anonymous CD-Rs under the moniker the Peeled Ones. He made a webpage, sent out press releases, and received NO orders for the debut albums from this previously unknown and mysterious group. The discs, which almost nobody heard at the time, were wildly different from Greg's usual work: one disc of melancholic synth meanderings (I) and one disc of shredding guitar overload (II). This year, the Peeled Ones saga came full circle when Greg decided to record a third installment, returning to his synthesizer for a gorgeous and incredibly realized improvisation. This lavish package includes "reissues" of the two original, ultra-obscure Peeled Ones albums on the first disc, and Greg's fantastic new recording on the second disc. Each disc comes in its own cardboard slipcase with individual artwork (featuring creepy photos selected by Greg) and the whole thing fits in an oversized box along with an essay by Mr. Kelley himself and more haunted pictures. Greg Kelley fans, this is not to be missed; this box is a different and unexpected side to one of modern improv's most versatile and consistently rewarding musicians. LIMITED TO 120 COPIES.

Fukyo has different meanings depending on which kanji characters are used, "economic depression" or "spreading religion, like Christianity" or "discord, dissonance" (not specifically musical) or another one having to do with military power and economic gain, all according to my wife, a Japanese/English translator.

Didn't listen to much ratty music of late, but this morning gave a listen to a Sun Ra All Stars recording from 1983's Berlin Jazz Fest, with Lester Bowie, Don Cherry, Allen, Gilmore, Shepp, Don Moye, Clifford Jarvis, Richard Davis, and Philly Joe.

Quite nice stuff!

Now spinning an Air live recording from Chicago, 1981. First time I hear them. Guess I'll need to get the Nessa(s?), right?

ubu