Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

David, Snips is on Jazz Magnet, never heard of this label before. The website given on back of the CD doesn't work (www.jazzmagnet.com), I have no idea what that label is about. The CD says "a division of Music Magnet Media, Inc". Catalogue No. is JAM-2001, so it's probably their first release, maybe their last? It came out in 2000.

Wasn't Archie Shepp's relatively recent CD "St. Louis Blues" (with Sunny Murray and RIchard Davis) released on Jazz Magnet as well? Will chekc when I get home. That disc was not too bad, by the way.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David, Snips is on Jazz Magnet, never heard of this label before. The website given on back of the CD doesn't work (www.jazzmagnet.com), I have no idea what that label is about. The CD says "a division of Music Magnet Media, Inc". Catalogue No. is JAM-2001, so it's probably their first release, maybe their last? It came out in 2000.

Wasn't Archie Shepp's relatively recent CD "St. Louis Blues" (with Sunny Murray and RIchard Davis) released on Jazz Magnet as well? Will chekc when I get home. That disc was not too bad, by the way.

nope, that one is on PAO

indeed, not too bad at all

Also it's interesting to hear Dorge's scope... earlier today I listened to a Danish Brötz quartet broadcast with Dorge on guitar, pretty broad-minded, it seems.

I insistently recommend the trio disc of Pierre Dorge-Khan Jamal-Johnny Dyani "Three" (also on SteepleChase) - relaxed, melodic spirited playing. Sometimes a slightly too much on the lite side, but exceptional musicanship (Kahn Jamal is the man! Not to mention this Dyani guy...) and obvious joy of playing together emanationg from the music more than compensates for it.

Also it's interesting to hear Dorge's scope... earlier today I listened to a Danish Brötz quartet broadcast with Dorge on guitar, pretty broad-minded, it seems.

I insistently recommend the trio disc of Pierre Dorge-Khan Jamal-Johnny Dyani "Three" (also on SteepleChase) - relaxed, melodic spirited playing. Sometimes a slightly too much on the lite side, but exceptional musicanship (Kahn Jamal is the man! Not to mention this Dyani guy...) and obvious joy of playing together emanationg from the music more than compensates for it.

I would have lots of catching up to do with Steeplechase, but *not* *now*... I know you love that Khan Jamal recording, I'll keep my eyes open, maybe I'll see it used somewhere...

ubu

Listening to this one now: Glen Hall and OutSource, The Roswell Incident (Leo Records):

lr313.jpg

Pretty nice playing by all involved: Glen Hall (ts,ss,bcl,bass fl,electr), Allan Molnar (vib), Michael Morse (b), Michael Occhipinti (g,bjo), Banjo Barry Romberg (d), Roswell Rudd (tb).

The music is really good, I think. Occhipinti is a nice player, so is Hall, so is Molnar, and the rhythm section is quite good, too. Then, there's Rudd sitting in here and there, and you gotta love Rudd, don't you?

ubu

I maintain that I like this one a lot, just finishing a second listen. It has a mood to it that reminds me of some of the freer Blue Note dates of the mid Sixties (that Jackie Mac with Hutcherson, Moncur's "Some other Stuff" etc).

ubu

Giving this disc a second spin, first time around it failed to convince me:

B000063698.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

What I have to say is that it's beautifully recorded, as is usual with Palmetto discs.

ubu

I ahve another disc by this star trio (forthose who are not recognising the musicians - Oliver Lake, Reggie Workman, Andrew Cyrille) on Lake's Passing Through label, and also didn't like it too much (to my surprise) - still not sure why. Will have to listen to it again.

Wasn't Archie Shepp's relatively recent CD "St. Louis Blues" (with Sunny Murray and Richard Davis) released on Jazz Magnet as well? Will chekc when I get home. That disc was not too bad, by the way.

nope, that one is on PAO

indeed, not too bad at all

Dug it out - oh yes, this is a good one! Mainly a duo for Shepp and Davis (Murray is only on a couple of tracks and is somewhere far far far in the background) - both in very good form. Shepp's playing (tenor only, thankfully - cannot warm to his soprano) is just superb here - rich sound: relaxed, but not lazy or sluggish; good ideas. No screaming, but quite explorative at times. Davis is very prominent here, and he delivers. Interestingly, he sometimes sounds more aggressive here than on his classic earlier recordings - also stretching quite a bit on a couple of pieces (some very impressive arco playing as well). Shepp is singing on "St. Louis Blues" and "God Bless the Child" and, I htink he is quite effective as a blues singer. Overall, very few cliches, and no impression of tiredness or routine - these are two masters thinking and still focused on creating. Nice work.

Now I am getting interested in hearing Shepp's duo with Mal Waldron on Enja ("Left Alone Revisited") - looks like wrote off Shepp way too early.

Edited by Д.Д.

not many recordings without a cello on Nuscope, and even fewer with a drummer ;)

any essentials there, who here knows their catalogue?

I have a couple of Nuscope releases.

I can certainly recommend this one:

CD_1007.jpg

Clarinet-guitar-bass. Despite different instrumention (save for clarinet) this is the most direct development (not imitiation) of the Fusion/Thesis era Jimmy Giuffre trio. Beautiful.

Edited by Д.Д.

yes, God bless the child. His voice sounds as hoarse as his tenor. And the tenor sound is typically whispery for latter day Shepp.

Indeed not too bad at all, not at all...

Wasn't there a website somewhere with an interview with Murray, who was complaining about never receiving adequate payment for this session?

Edited by couw

Wasn't there a website somewhere with an interview with Murray, who was complaining about never receiving adequate payment for this session?

paristransatlantic.com interview

As far as I remember, he is mostly complaigning about lack of "recognition" (compared to Shepp), not about the money. Well, it's hard to figure out with Murray.

Thanks for the Nuscope & Trio 3 recs! The Nuscope disc sounds very interesting!

And that Shepp sounds good, too. I got a burn of "Left Alone Revisited" lying around somewhere, but I only gave it one listen some time ago.

The other later day Shepp I also have a burn of, the one with Rudd (and Moncur III) I found pretty boring, to be honest, and that has a lot more to do with Shepp than with the trombone players, as at least Rudd can still deliver the goods (see "MALIcool", a marvellous disc).

ubu

What about that Shepp? One to look for?

Found this one over at AAJ: Jazz Magnet Label profile.

So the Shepp WAS on Jazz Magnet? The Cyrille-Dresser-Ehrlich could be interesting, too...

Just finishing a first listen to this one:

ns1004.jpg

I like it quite a lot! Thanks, David!

I have five or six nuscope titles, including the one pictured above. Sounds like you might be enjoying Light's View more than I am. Can't really get the hang of Graewe and unfortunately, he's on most of the nuscopes I have. More listening ahead, though.

Leo Records decreased the price of a download to $7 per CD, and they now have the OOP Document: New Music from Russia 8-CD set available for download for $56.

Hmmm... Now this is getting interesting! Further investigation is called for.

David: Do you have that OOP Russia set? (I've been looking for it off and on but maybe more so because of the find-the-OOP-title challenge than really having a good handle as to what's on the set.)

David: Do you have that OOP Russia set? (I've been looking for it off and on but maybe more so because of the find-the-OOP-title challenge than really having a good handle as to what's on the set.)

Loading some big files from some record label website at the moment.

Leo Records decreased the price of a download to $7 per CD, and they now have the OOP Document: New Music from Russia 8-CD set available for download for $56.

Or, as you will be downloading mp3s either way, emusic has this set. $10 for 40 tracks. There are 44 tracks spread over the 8 discs, so you could get the first 7 discs for $10 and get discs 8 as part of your second month's allotment of tracks or you could get the 65 tracks for $15 package and get the entire set plus 21 other tracks.

Or, as you will be downloading mp3s either way, emusic has this set. $10 for 40 tracks. There are 44 tracks spread over the 8 discs, so you could get the first 7 discs for $10 and get discs 8 as part of your second month's allotment of tracks or you could get the 65 tracks for $15 package and get the entire set plus 21 other tracks.

When I bought a digital juke-box I did a little comparison, and found I don't like the sound of MP3 files too much (even at higher bit rates), so I use WMA (300+ kbit bit rate). Leo offers OGG files which aparently sound better than WMA at the same bit rate (haven't had a chance to check myself yet).

What's the bitrate of e-music MP3s?

When I bought a digital juke-box I did a little comparison, and found I don't like the sound of MP3 files too much (even at higher bit rates), so I use WMA (300+ kbit bit rate). Leo offers OGG files which aparently sound better than WMA at the same bit rate (haven't had a chance to check myself yet).

What's the bitrate of e-music MP3s?

I've never sampled OGG files either, but they supposedly sound very good.

The bitrate varies at emusic, depending on what each label supplies them. Some older tracks are encoded at lower rates. Mostr tracks (and I believe all of the Leo tracks are done this way) are encoded using VBR (Variable Bit Rate) at an average of 192k.