BFT # 70 - Listen and discuss

Durium

Durium,

Thanks very much for your effort. I've been having a good time listening and reading the comments(I don't ever recognize anything so nothing was spoiled for me). Some very nice music.

I thought of Enrico Rava on track 2 but since it is someone younger, I guess that was way off. There is still an ECM kind of feel to me.

Your reveal will be interesting for my ongoing musical education. In particular I am looking forward to who the bass duo track is. I've read reviews of duo bass recordings and always thought that sounded dull but apparently I was wrong because this one was pretty good.

Edited by NIS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Hans, for this disc - I have to admit I had a totally wrong impression of your musical tastes, which appear to be very open and diversified - I had somehow thought you were a mainstream man, but it's not that simple.

I finally received a copy just before Christmas eve and these are my thoughts on second listen - I didn't take any notes during the first.

# 1 - The chords the pianist plays sound very familiar - but I can't tell whether it's the tune I have in mind. I don't like the mix - drums are barely audible, bass is too much up front, so the ostinato gets a little annoying. Nice idea, but not well enough done.

# 2 - Trumpeter has a very nice lyrical sound and shows some Chet Baker influence - I don't think it's Chet. Can't tell who this is, but both players sound familiar. They way the take it out is very nice.

# 3 - Violin and piano, very tasteful performance. Oh - guitar - I hear a Reinhardt influence, but knowing you are a colelctor of Oscar Alemán ... excellent piece of music! More, please ...

# 4 - Uhhh - this saxophonist is way drunk or totally strung out, totally out of tune ... if this is supposed to be free playing, I can live without it. Sounds like they all play in different keys and tunings. No idea what this supposed to be ... was this a rehearsal? If so, they should have erased the recording ...

# 5 I know that big bass sound ... and the tune, too ... Nuages? Double bass, I mean two basses? Nice. Huge sounds! Again one of the two sounds familiar, but I cannnot pin him down.

# 6 - These two sure got rhythm! I hear a definite Hawk influence. Oh, Slam Stewart! So this must be Don Byas, from the Town Hall Concert released on Commodore. Great stuff. Amazing how much modern bebop-like conceptions there are in Byas' playing - an underrated giant.

# 7 - Love For Sale - done in a 7/8 groove. Able players, but I have no idea who they are.

# 8 - When I hear a vibes/Marimba duo, I think of David Friedman and Dave Samuels, but this is almost neo-swing, so I doubt it's them. I know that tune, but can't remember the title - surely a player from a pre-bop generation or follower. Sounds like an overdub to me.

# 9 - Bass again ... nice idea to build the flow of changes from arpeggio playing. The changes sound familiar again ... original concept, for sure. Aladar Pege? Probably not, the way he strums later on - great idea to have the piano player playing so sparsely at first. So it took me until the very end to figure out it is Night And Day the played - like the two players were the personification of these two - very nice idea.

# 10 - Oh, I have that one. Charnett Moffett, from his first Blue Note LP. One of the best bass sounds I ever heard. Critics hailed him as the most complete bass player since Stanley Clarke - I think he's a much better jazz player than Clarke, relying less on pet phrases. Great, huge bass tone! He should be heard more often! Nice groove he made with these drum machines. An excellent player!

# 11 - Almost too sweet - I don't like cello with that much vibrato nor clarinet players with that kind of sound. Sorry, not my taste, although they are competent players.

# 12 - Tadd Dameron's Our Delight - good performance! Tommy Flannagan & Hank Jones or someone like that ...

# 13 - Some bebop warhorse - tenor player sounds almost bored, but his playing is not. Another good performance, again no idea who they are, though that tenor sounds familiar.

# 14 - That's an old Cuban tune, La Comparsa, by Ernesto Lecuona, IIRC. Is that Bebo and Chucho Valdes? There is not enough piano playing like this! I wish one of these guys or Edward Simon would make a recording of Lecuona's piano pieces! That ostinato left hand pattern (Cubans call it guajeo) is great!

# 15 - Arghhh! So many familiar sounding players .... 'nother good 'un.

Thanks for that very enjoyable ride!  

Durium,

Thanks very much for your effort. I've been having a good time listening and reading the comments(I don't ever recognize anything so nothing was spoiled for me). Some very nice music.

I thought of Enrico Rava on track 2 but since it is someone younger, I guess that was way off. There is still an ECM kind of feel to me.

Your reveal will be interesting for my ongoing musical education. In particular I am looking forward to who the bass duo track is. I've read reviews of duo bass recordings and always thought that sounded dull but apparently I was wrong because this one was pretty good.

Dear NIS,

Thanks for your commends. It is good to learn that you enjoyed the disc - mind that this BFT isn't a quiz nor a test to value your jazz knowledge ......... Maybe it brings you some new names - well, the names for the bass duet will be unveiled next year :wacko:

About track 2: No, it isn't Enrico Rava on trumpet - you were right abnout that. In one of my suggestions I told the list that I should hear this trumpet player in concert two weeks ago - unfurtunally the cocert was cancelled due to the bad weather ( snow)

As far as I know the musicians haven'tr recorded for ECM.

I hope to post the track list later next weekend.

Thanks Hans, for this disc - I have to admit I had a totally wrong impression of your musical tastes, which appear to be very open and diversified - I had somehow thought you were a mainstream man, but it's not that simple.

I finally received a copy just before Christmas eve and these are my thoughts on second listen - I didn't take any notes during the first.

# 1 - The chords the pianist plays sound very familiar - but I can't tell whether it's the tune I have in mind. I don't like the mix - drums are barely audible, bass is too much up front, so the ostinato gets a little annoying. Nice idea, but not well enough done.

# 2 - Trumpeter has a very nice lyrical sound and shows some Chet Baker influence - I don't think it's Chet. Can't tell who this is, but both players sound familiar. They way the take it out is very nice.

# 3 - Violin and piano, very tasteful performance. Oh - guitar - I hear a Reinhardt influence, but knowing you are a colelctor of Oscar Alemán ... excellent piece of music! More, please ...

# 4 - Uhhh - this saxophonist is way drunk or totally strung out, totally out of tune ... if this is supposed to be free playing, I can live without it. Sounds like they all play in different keys and tunings. No idea what this supposed to be ... was this a rehearsal? If so, they should have erased the recording ...

# 5 I know that big bass sound ... and the tune, too ... Nuages? Double bass, I mean two basses? Nice. Huge sounds! Again one of the two sounds familiar, but I cannnot pin him down.

Danke Mike for your respons. Sorry that the link didn't reach you in time. I am surprised to learn that my tast seems to be very open and diversified - It feels like a compliment ........ although I don't think that it changed very much. But it is a fact that it evolves the more you listen to jazz.

Do you have any idea what the theme is for this compilation? Up to now I haven't heard anyone who was "hot" !! I'll give some more hints to find the theme while reading your commends.

Well, let's browse your comments: track one up to five.

1. Well, I like this track very much and I was fascinated when first heard this bass player. He received an important Dutch award this year. Well, this labours an obvious point I guess. But how many musicians are playing on this track?

The tune is an own composition by the bass player.

2. Another young trumpet player that surprised me a half year ago, playing in a concert during a tour with David Schnitter. He's not an American, but from Brasil and living in The Netherlands. Well - enough info so far.

3. You're complete right in hearing a Django Reinhardt influence - you're right this man knows how to play Django's music But how many musicians are playing here? And isn't it strange that the violin player and guitar player are not playing together?

This track was already identified, but maybe you want to do some more research before I give you the solution.

You're wrong thinking it could be Oscar Alemán - this is not the place to discuss the fact if Oscar did play the guitar in a style with Reinhardt influences ......

4. I don't know if he was drunk - maybe stoned, I don't know. You must have heard from him, because he made some great Blue Note sessions during the mid 1960s using his instrument(s) in a way, that became a gimmick used by another musician, that became famous doing it. I came into contact with him pointing the readers of my blog to the fact that he made his debut in The Netherlands 50 years ago ( the blog was published in 2007) playing in a group of young talented US-students playing in the Congresgebouw in Amsterdam before the Jay Jay Johnson concert. This record is from the period after his Blue Note recordings in a period he was doing experiments with modern techniques - still elaborating on the gimmick used in the Blue Note records. Well - enough info to think about. How many musicians are playing here?

5. Nuages is correct - two great bass players .......... Both European !!

So far so good. I'll post the next five later tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Keep Swinging

Durium

# 6 - These two sure got rhythm! I hear a definite Hawk influence. Oh, Slam Stewart! So this must be Don Byas, from the Town Hall Concert released on Commodore. Great stuff. Amazing how much modern bebop-like conceptions there are in Byas' playing - an underrated giant.

# 7 - Love For Sale - done in a 7/8 groove. Able players, but I have no idea who they are.

# 8 - When I hear a vibes/Marimba duo, I think of David Friedman and Dave Samuels, but this is almost neo-swing, so I doubt it's them. I know that tune, but can't remember the title - surely a player from a pre-bop generation or follower. Sounds like an overdub to me.

# 9 - Bass again ... nice idea to build the flow of changes from arpeggio playing. The changes sound familiar again ... original concept, for sure. Aladar Pege? Probably not, the way he strums later on - great idea to have the piano player playing so sparsely at first. So it took me until the very end to figure out it is Night And Day the played - like the two players were the personification of these two - very nice idea.

# 10 - Oh, I have that one. Charnett Moffett, from his first Blue Note LP. One of the best bass sounds I ever heard. Critics hailed him as the most complete bass player since Stanley Clarke - I think he's a much better jazz player than Clarke, relying less on pet phrases. Great, huge bass tone! He should be heard more often! Nice groove he made with these drum machines. An excellent player!

Track 6 up to 10.

Thanks Mike for the remarks - let's see what you have found / thought for track 6 up to 10.

6. You know your classics .......... it is, indeed, Don Byas. This tracks was already identfied by others - two great musicians.

7. Both musicians are very well known in the jazz scene in The Netherlands and great improvisers. The piano player recently won an important Dutch jazz award ( like the guy in track one.) One of the two is blind ......

Enough info to make a point.

8. You recognized the tune later as the Flintstone theme - of course. No, it isn't David Friedman and Dave Samuels, but the instruments are correct. Both are Italians .......

9. Night and Day is the theme - correct, but is it a bass player? He's Dutch too - we have a lot to offer you instead of cheese and wooden shoes !! :crazy:

10. Bingo :tup . Sure, this is Charnett Moffett on the Blue Note Net Man album. You're right - music with a groove.

Mizzom ( Charnett Moffett) / from NET MAN by Charnett Moffett ( 1987)

ChaMof-NetManF.jpg

Charnett Moffett: bass – drum machine / Mino Cinelu: percussion

Recorded New York City, 11th of March, 1987

Thanks. I hope that all my hints and suggestions helps you to find the best bits .... You're invited to make pints !!

Up to the last five ..........

Keep Swinging

Durium

# 11 - Almost too sweet - I don't like cello with that much vibrato nor clarinet players with that kind of sound. Sorry, not my taste, although they are competent players.

# 12 - Tadd Dameron's Our Delight - good performance! Tommy Flannagan & Hank Jones or someone like that ...

# 13 - Some bebop warhorse - tenor player sounds almost bored, but his playing is not. Another good performance, again no idea who they are, though that tenor sounds familiar.

# 14 - That's an old Cuban tune, La Comparsa, by Ernesto Lecuona, IIRC. Is that Bebo and Chucho Valdes? There is not enough piano playing like this! I wish one of these guys or Edward Simon would make a recording of Lecuona's piano pieces! That ostinato left hand pattern (Cubans call it guajeo) is great!

# 15 - Arghhh! So many familiar sounding players .... 'nother good 'un.

Let's start for the last section: 11 up to 15.

11. This track could be described as the odd man out, as the cello player is, in fact, classical educated. He is already identified as Yo-Yo Ma. The clarinet player is Paquito d'Rivera. I was surprised by the album, tltled Obrigado Brazil, dedicated to Choro music and as you should know, Mike, Choro is one of the Brazilian music styles close related to jazz ( may be even traditional jazz). As I said before - in fact I had planned to post the tune Salvador, as duo by Yo-Yo Ma and Egnerto Gimonti, but I posted this one, the well known Pixinguinha tune: Carinhoso. Due to that the theme of the BFT is a bit annoyed by this track, so skip this track finding the overall theme of the BFT :wacko:

12. Not ... someone like that: it is Our Delight played by these two great veteran piano men. hankjones09-01.jpg

I took this duet for my BFT, because I, finally, heard Hank Jones, now in hids 90s, in concert last summer.

13. The tenor sax player is ( was - he passed away 15 years ago) a veteran jazz player. The recording is from a recording session which features also Roy Hargrove and David Fathead Newman, two jazz musicians, who I like very much. These two are not to be heard in this track. The bass player is stil active and, how weird, I've never heard him live in concert - I hope this wish will be forfilled next year :crazy:

Enough hints, I guess, to make a point !

14. Another point for you. It is Chucho and Bebo Valdes. Indeed, music that should be heard more. It was already identified !!

15. No-one has identified this "great" piano player. Hij is moeilijk over het hoofd te zien: Er ist schwierig zu über'sehen !! - You can hardly overlook him !! :winky:

Thanks Mike and fellow list members ......... I gave a lot of hints today which can help you to identify the unidentified tracks OR the theme before the end of the year to find the last tracks that are not found already.

Good luck and for tonight ............... make it a party, but be carefull with fireworks ... playing the guitar with nine fingers is not as easy as it seems ... :party:

I'm looking forward to your last "shots on the goal"

Keep Swinging

Durium

Of course # 8 was the Flintstones theme ...   :rolleyes:

I really wonder who that is ...

Sure, we're from the same generation ...... Wilmaaaaaaaa :crazy:

Keep Swinging

Durium

Good luck and for tonight ............... make it a party, but be carefull with fireworks ... playing the guitar with nine fingers is not as easy as it seems ... :party:

Drumming ain't either ...

I'm looking forward to your last "shots on the goal"

Tried, but I'm clueless ... :w

... Sure, we're from the same generation ...... Wilmaaaaaaaa :crazy:

I'll never forget that from now on!

Best wishes for the next year!

Edited by mikeweil

Durium, You have given us a very enjoyable BFT. I am humbled by my inability to even guess at the musicians, even after your clues. I will look forward to your Reveal, which will give me a new shopping list. Compared to some members here, I am just not good at identifying BFT selections. But I found your BFT to be very memorable, and I thank you for putting it together for us.

Holy sh...... here it is the last day of the year and I’ve completely forgotten to participate! Here we go, just before the calendar flips!

Track 1: no clue, but I love the interplay between the cello and the piano. Roger Kellaway perhaps?

Track 2: I so wanna say this is Freddie Hubbard & Herbie Hancock. I’m probably wrong, but that’s who it sounds like to these ears! Lovely nonetheless!

Track 3: Guess who? Yehudi!!! (let’s see if any of the Looney Tooniacs know which cartoon I’m quoting there). Anyway, no clue, but the fidelity suggests a recent recording trying to get that mid-30’s single-mike sound. I like it.

Track 4: Whole lotta bass! I dig it. No clue who it is, though!

Track 5: Was all set to write this one off as another HAFC™ and then the bass solo started. Slam Stewart or a reasonable facsimile! Sax? I dunno... Zoot Sims jumps to mind for some reason....

Track 6: Guitar and piano doing “Love for Sale,” fidelity sounds pretty recent so that rules out Bill Evans and Jim Hall. I’m not entirely convinced that the guitar player isn’t Jim Hall.... wait a second.... Peter Leitch!!! That’s my guess and I’m sticking with it!

Really digging the mellow feel of this BFT. Sure wish I’d given it a spin earlier this month when the stress level was frantic! Will DEFINITELY need it next month when audit time comes around!

Track 7: BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! Flintstones! Meet the Flintstones! They’re the modern stone-age BFT!!! Well, now I know of a second version of this song, the first being on a Jim Hall Quintet record from the 70’s! Y’know, I’m seeing his name pop up so much in my guesses, I think I might go back and make that my guess for everything! :D

Alright, I’m at track 10 and I don’t remember 8 or 9. One thing’s for sure: Durium sure loves him some BASS!!!

Track 11: Ah!!! I know the song if not the specific performance: it’s Jobim’s “Carinhoso” and I didn’t even need to check Amazon to get the answer! (Verifying, however, is another matter altogether!) I imagine Jobim, being a fantastic arranger himself, would be very pleased with this!

Track 12: Can I confess something since I’ve already mentioned Looney Tunes already? Is there anyone else in here who, when they hear this song, instantly think of the 1937 Friz Freleng cartoon “Streamlined Greta Green?” EVERY time I hear “Our Delight,” no matter who’s doing it, I ALWAYS and without fail hear those words. Maybe I oughta pull a Jon Hendricks and mashup the two.

In fact, I went and looked up “SGG” on YouTube just to hear the title song, just to see if there’s any similarity. There isn’t. In fact, the prevalent songs are “My Little Buckaroo,” “Lullaby of Broadway,” and “Shuffle Off to Buffalo,” none of those penned by Tadd Dameron and none of them sounding even remotely or phonetically like “Our Delight” OR “SGG.” So, I don’t know where this is coming from! The mashup idea is sounding better and better. Stay tuned to FacePage for further developments!

Track 13: Nice sax/bass duo. Thought it was “Bass Blues” by Coltrane, but it ain’t. Sure sounds like Joe Henderson to me.

Track 14: Again, no clue. Nice though!

Track 15: Sounds like a dad and his son havin’ a good ol’ time.

Gonna be nice to hear who’s who on here. Very nicely done, Durium. This certainly lives up to your moniker: keep swinging indeed!

Al, I kind of hate to break it to you, but Jobim didn't write "Carinhoso." It's by Pixinguinha, one of the greatest Brazilian composers of all time (and one who's definitely not as well known as he ought to be). My link takes you to a recording of the piece ... might be a bit of a surprise, and also explain why it's played as it is in Durium's BFT track. :)

Feliz Ano Novo, everyone!

Edited to add: a nice version (with lyrics) by Marisa Monte and Paulinho da Viola, here:

Edited by seeline

Holy sh...... here it is the last day of the year and I’ve completely forgotten to participate! Here we go, just before the calendar flips!

Track 1: no clue, but I love the interplay between the cello and the piano. Roger Kellaway perhaps?

Track 2: I so wanna say this is Freddie Hubbard & Herbie Hancock. I’m probably wrong, but that’s who it sounds like to these ears! Lovely nonetheless!

Track 3: Guess who? Yehudi!!! (let’s see if any of the Looney Tooniacs know which cartoon I’m quoting there). Anyway, no clue, but the fidelity suggests a recent recording trying to get that mid-30’s single-mike sound. I like it.

Track 4: Whole lotta bass! I dig it. No clue who it is, though!

Track 5: Was all set to write this one off as another HAFC™ and then the bass solo started. Slam Stewart or a reasonable facsimile! Sax? I dunno... Zoot Sims jumps to mind for some reason....

Gonna be nice to hear who’s who on here. Very nicely done, Durium. This certainly lives up to your moniker: keep swinging indeed!

Thanks Big al for your comments. Let's have a look what you've found.

1. Not Roger Kellaway nor a cello. The musicians are Dutch. I gave several hints in previous posts.

2. I'm sure both guys will love this being compared with Freddie Hubbard and Herbie Hancock.

3. Sorry, Al, but you're complete wrong. It's an old one ( what's old? ) and you will be surprised if you read who plays the violin and who the guitar. It has been already identified, so if you love to know NOW, find a previous post with the names; other wise you'll have to wait until I'll post the complete track list.

4 must be 5. I guess you mixed this up with track 5

5 must be 6. Sure it's slam and the sax player is Don Byas - a classic one: I Got Rhythm. ( 1945). It has been identified already.

The next five to be followed soon.

Keep Swinging

Durium

Track 6: Guitar and piano doing “Love for Sale,” fidelity sounds pretty recent so that rules out Bill Evans and Jim Hall. I’m not entirely convinced that the guitar player isn’t Jim Hall.... wait a second.... Peter Leitch!!! That’s my guess and I’m sticking with it!

Really digging the mellow feel of this BFT. Sure wish I’d given it a spin earlier this month when the stress level was frantic! Will DEFINITELY need it next month when audit time comes around!

Track 7: BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! Flintstones! Meet the Flintstones! They’re the modern stone-age BFT!!! Well, now I know of a second version of this song, the first being on a Jim Hall Quintet record from the 70’s! Y’know, I’m seeing his name pop up so much in my guesses, I think I might go back and make that my guess for everything! :D

Alright, I’m at track 10 and I don’t remember 8 or 9. One thing’s for sure: Durium sure loves him some BASS!!!

As you mixed up some numbering I'll try to correct your comments:

track 6 ( you label it 5) Sure it's slam and the sax player is Don Byas - a classic one: I Got Rhythm. ( 1945). It has been identified already.

track 7 ( you label it as 6) No - the guitar playuer isn't Jim Hall, but a Dutch guitar player, I really like. He won, as the first European musician, the US Thelonious Monk award in 1995. Well, now you can gind him googiling a bit - I'm sure.

track 8 ( you label it as 7) Sure, the Flintstone theme composed by Curtain. I do have some more, like the version played by the Monty Alexander Trio (1992) and the Massimo Farao Trio ( 1994) and this one on the BFT ............

Up to the last five .............

Keep Swinging

Durium

Track 11: Ah!!! I know the song if not the specific performance: it’s Jobim’s “Carinhoso” and I didn’t even need to check Amazon to get the answer! (Verifying, however, is another matter altogether!) I imagine Jobim, being a fantastic arranger himself, would be very pleased with this!

Track 12: Can I confess something since I’ve already mentioned Looney Tunes already? Is there anyone else in here who, when they hear this song, instantly think of the 1937 Friz Freleng cartoon “Streamlined Greta Green?” EVERY time I hear “Our Delight,” no matter who’s doing it, I ALWAYS and without fail hear those words. Maybe I oughta pull a Jon Hendricks and mashup the two.

In fact, I went and looked up “SGG” on YouTube just to hear the title song, just to see if there’s any similarity. There isn’t. In fact, the prevalent songs are “My Little Buckaroo,” “Lullaby of Broadway,” and “Shuffle Off to Buffalo,” none of those penned by Tadd Dameron and none of them sounding even remotely or phonetically like “Our Delight” OR “SGG.” So, I don’t know where this is coming from! The mashup idea is sounding better and better. Stay tuned to FacePage for further developments!

Track 13: Nice sax/bass duo. Thought it was “Bass Blues” by Coltrane, but it ain’t. Sure sounds like Joe Henderson to me.

Track 14: Again, no clue. Nice though!

Track 15: Sounds like a dad and his son havin’ a good ol’ time.

It seems that your numbering is correct starting with track 11, Al.

11. Sure this is Carinhoso, but it was composed by the Brazilian Choro legend composer and flute player Pixinguinha.

12. It's Our Delight, as played by two veteran piano player: Tommy Flanegan I right) and Hank jones ( left). This track was identified before too.

13. No, it isn't Joe Henderson ...........

14. A Cuban father and son performance .........

15. First I thought you had mixied up 14 and 15, but . no - I understand what you mean. No, the piano player has been interviewed by the sax player. Maybe this gives you or your listmates some information ( and I gave some hints, even in three language ( but not the one of the piano player, whose name sounds Italian: Hij is moeilijk over het hoofd te zien: Er ist schwierig zu über'sehen !! - You can hardly overlook him

You must have heard / seen him performing.

Thanks for your thoughts and remarks concerning the BFT # 70. I'm sure you'll be surprised learning what artists are to be heard. All the best for 2010 and Keep (it) Swinging.

Keep Swinging

Durium

Al, I kind of hate to break it to you, but Jobim didn't write "Carinhoso." It's by Pixinguinha, one of the greatest Brazilian composers of all time (and one who's definitely not as well known as he ought to be). My link takes you to a recording of the piece ... might be a bit of a surprise, and also explain why it's played as it is in Durium's BFT track. :)

Feliz Ano Novo, everyone!

Edited to add: a nice version (with lyrics) by Marisa Monte and Paulinho da Viola, here:

Thanks Seeline for pointing Al to Pixinguinha.

pixinga_nota.jpg

- I added a link to our Choro blog ( the 200th post yesterday !!) - if you insert < Pixinguinha > in the search window at the upper left you can find a lot of p[ostings about this great Brasilian composer.

Keep Swinging

Durium

Durium

De nada, Durium! I assumed that you would also post a link to your blog... :)

And... I think Pixinguinha was one of the great composers/musicians of the 20th century - I am not referring to Brazil alone, but to the whole world!

btw, I saw that at least one site says that Carinhoso was 1st recorded in 1928. Do you know if that information is correct?