Speakers

B. Clugston

Sing Along with Bill Frye looks like your best bet.

:unsure:

On a serious note, I have a pair of Klipsch RB-81 speakers that I'm very satisfied with. I listened to a variety of speakers in a listening room at the now-closed Sound Advice store here, and these were the clearest and brightest sounding by far in my price range, to my ear. In your price range, Klipsch has the B-2 speaker -- $250 on the nose. For a few extra bucks, they also have the RB-10 ($269).

I can't say what either sounds like, of course. But just going by my experience with the brand and the comparison listening I did before purchase, I'm very happy with the RB-81's.

You might also check out this site. There seem to be plenty listed within your price range manufactured by all the usual suspects. Maybe someone more knowledgeable is familiar with some of those listed. You can narrow your search by price range.

Good luck, and if all else fails, don't forget about Bill Frye! :tup

Edited by papsrus

your ears are unique to you so don't buy any speaker until you have had a chance to listen to it on a flat system (no eq) with several of your favorite cds. If you buy the speakers, try and get at least a 30 day exchange/refund so you can really see if they are for you. Most reputable stores offer this as they want you to be happy (and return to buy more gear). Remember, they're your ears, no one elses!

your ears are unique to you so don't buy any speaker until you have had a chance to listen to it on a flat system (no eq) with several of your favorite cds. If you buy the speakers, try and get at least a 30 day exchange/refund so you can really see if they are for you. Most reputable stores offer this as they want you to be happy (and return to buy more gear). Remember, they're your ears, no one elses!

I agree with mr jazz wholeheartedly!

How speakers sound in the show room, in your room, with music, with dvds, with lps, can all be very different and your personal expectations are what should be met.

I agree with mr jazz wholeheartedly!

How speakers sound in the show room, in your room, with music, with dvds, with lps, can all be very different and your personal expectations are what should be met.

I agree with jazzbo!

Consider that speakers are usually the key element in a music chain. They will give the footprint of the sound, you can live with a mediocre cd player or amp, but bad (or ones you don't like) speakers are a curse. I am serious.

Edited by porcy62

Get a pair of BIC dv62si's (about $120 a pair on Amazon). These are nicely built and decent sounding bookshelf units with high quality speakers but mediocre electronics. THEN contact Ed Frias, ( EFESPEAKERS@commspeed.net) who will give you instructions on pulling the crossover board out, and mailing them to him. For about $40 he will upgrade these boards. When you put them back together, you will have a pair of speakers that will blow away anything under $400! I did this, and they are now amazing. Ed also sells his own speakers, but they may be beyond your budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to get another set of speakers. I'm on a budget <$250. Anyone have any recommendations?

Since I don't have a ready answer below your price point, here's the closest I can get: I recently heard a pair of Paradigm bookshelf speakers--smaller than your average bookshelf, and I don't recall the model #--but they were $300/pair. I had my back turned to them when they first began spitting out music and I was stunned when I turned around. I fully expected a floor stander, and a lrge one. On further listening I thought the bass was a bit lacking (what'd you expect in a cabinet that size?)but the midrange and the highs were astounding for $300. You may want to look into them.

I'm always amazed at what technology can produce in lower end audio gear.

I view B&W as a great offering at low price points, neutral and efficient. (Could you find some used 601s/602s?) NSM/Kayak might also be a good alternative. You can avoid the mass market brands at $250, consider Audiogon.com or used gear from a local shop that has a long history, and strong word-of-mouth reputation on two channel stereo listening. Also call North Country / Cadence.

• 3 months later...