Ronnie Ross

couw

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And so this is the current list of cover pictures I am still seeking. Please let me know if you have or see any of them at any time. The Ronnie Ross Jazz Discography contains all the cover pictures I have found so far as well as all the information I've got on his jazz recordings. Our site (www.ronnieross.com) has lots of other items concerning Ronnie Ross and I am hoping to add to these soon.

1. 55/1 Leader: Tony Crombie Date: March 31 1955 Venue: London Label: Decca DFE6281, F10514, 10620, F10592, F10637 Album Titles: Annie Ross with Tony Crombie and his Orchestra, Presenting Tony Crombie No. 2 (EP)

2. 55/5 Leader: Cleo Laine Date: December 13 1955 Venue: London Label: Nixa NJE1010, PRT PYL6028 Album Title: Unforgettable Cleo Laine

3. 58/ 6 Leader: Louis Armstrong Date: July 7 1958 Venue: Newport Jazz Festival Label: Columbia C2-38262, CBS(F)88669, C23-8262 Album Title: Louis Armstrong And The All Stars

4. 58/7 Leader: (Melody Maker All Stars) Date: November 1958 Venue: London Label: Pye Nixa NJT518 Album Title: (Melody Maker Jazz Poll 1958/1959)

5. 60/1 Leader: Vic Lewis Date: April 10 1960 Venue: Bridgeport, Connecticut Label: DJM SPECB103 Album Title: (?)

6. 60/5 Leader: Harry South Date: November 17 1960 Venue: London Label: Album Title: (?)

7. 62/4 Leader: Don Rendell Date: September 6 1962 Venue: London Label: Pye 7NJ 2059 Album Title: The Jazz Stars

8. 65/15 Leader: John Cameron Date: 1965 Venue: Label: EMI SC6116 Album Title: Cover Lover

9. 67/1 Leader: Acker Bilk Date: August 1967 Venue: (?) Label: Columbia DB8241 Album Title: Acker`s Personal Jungle

10. 69/2 Leader: Vic Lewis Date: June 9 1969 Venue: London Label: Nems 6-63723 and DJMSPECB103 Album Title: The Vic Lewis Orchestra

11. 78/1 Leader: Arthur Greenslade Date: January 1978 Venue: London Label: Pye NPSL18557 Album Title: George Melly With Orchestra Arranged And Conducted By Arthur Greenslade

12. 89/6 Leader: Chris Smith Dates: November 23 29 1989? Venue: Wembley, London Label: BBC CDTP818 Album Title: Chris Smith And His String Of Pearls Orchestra

3. 58/ 6 Leader: Louis Armstrong Date: July 7 1958 Venue: Newport Jazz Festival Label: Columbia C2-38262, CBS(F)88669, C23-8262 Album Title: Louis Armstrong And The All Stars

Columbia C2-38262 is listed as a 2LP set with unreleased material from the Newport festival by various artists. link

20093.jpg

Thank you for all the recent information, Couw. It has kept me busy for quite a while already and will continue to do so for some time yet!

I have posted the [Newport] picture onto our website (www.ronnieross.com). I have also deleted the Vic Lewis entry from the missing covers list and will be looking into the this question. I was aware of the boxed set but as Ronnie Ross only appears in two tracks, it seems a bit much to list them all. I was hoping the original issue would surface, if indeed there was one. Alternatively, I might just leave it at the two tracks.

So here is the up-to-date list - not many more to go!

Note: list moved to later post - May 4 2006

Edited by tooter

• 1 month later...

Here is the up-to-date list of the nine album cover pictures I'm still looking for. If you happen to spot any or know where I could get them, please let me know.

(list moved to later post)

Edited by tooter

• 1 month later...

ross_ronnie_cleopatra_101b.jpg

Ronnie Ross -- Cleopatra's Needle (Japanese pressing) (reissue) . . . LP . . . $39.99

(Item: 416118)

Fontana (Japan), 1968 Condition: New Copy

An incredible record from the British jazz scene of the late 60s -- and quite possibly the best-ever set cut by baritone saxophonist Ronnie Ross! Ross was always a great player in his own right -- probably the second greatest European baritonist of his generation next to Lars Gullin -- but on this record he really steps forward with a bold new sound -- one that's filled with sharp edges, modal rhythms, and some of the more adventurous jazz modes that had been showing up the Saba label during the late 60s. His partners in crime here include tenor saxophonist Art Elefsen, trumpeter Les Condon, vibist and pianist Bill LeSage, bassist Spike Heatley, and drummer Tony Carr -- and both Elefsen and LeSage contribute really tremendous sounds to the record, especially on those numbers that feature vibes. All tracks are originals by the members of the group -- filled with dynamic energy and freely exploratory grooves -- and titles include "Dolphin Square", "Cleopatra's Needle", "Stand By", "Tibufa", "Brewer's Castle", and "U69". (Incredible package -- with the original European-styled sleeve, plus an extra separate sleeve for the vinyl!)

:party:

yipes ... courtesy of Du$ty Groove

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

ross_ronnie_cleopatra_101b.jpg

Ronnie Ross -- Cleopatra's Needle (Japanese pressing) (reissue) . . . LP . . . $39.99

(Item: 416118)

Fontana (Japan), 1968 Condition: New Copy

An incredible record from the British jazz scene of the late 60s -- and quite possibly the best-ever set cut by baritone saxophonist Ronnie Ross! Ross was always a great player in his own right -- probably the second greatest European baritonist of his generation next to Lars Gullin -- but on this record he really steps forward with a bold new sound -- one that's filled with sharp edges, modal rhythms, and some of the more adventurous jazz modes that had been showing up the Saba label during the late 60s. His partners in crime here include tenor saxophonist Art Elefsen, trumpeter Les Condon, vibist and pianist Bill LeSage, bassist Spike Heatley, and drummer Tony Carr -- and both Elefsen and LeSage contribute really tremendous sounds to the record, especially on those numbers that feature vibes. All tracks are originals by the members of the group -- filled with dynamic energy and freely exploratory grooves -- and titles include "Dolphin Square", "Cleopatra's Needle", "Stand By", "Tibufa", "Brewer's Castle", and "U69". (Incredible package -- with the original European-styled sleeve, plus an extra separate sleeve for the vinyl!)

:party:

yipes ... courtesy of Du$ty Groove

Thanks a lot for the info. I've ordered a copy.

Imposter ! :D

The original Fontana has foldbacks on the sleeves so presumably they are replicating that.

Is this taken from the stereo source tapes or is it a vinyl lift?

Out of stock anyway - no order made. Picture's good though, and now adorns our site. I thought all record suppliers were completely honest and above board. :rolleyes:

So the list of cover pictures still sought grows ever less. Now down to only seven. Don't forget to keep an eye open for any of these please.

1. 55/1 Leader: Tony Crombie Date: March 31 1955 Venue: London Label: Decca DFE6281, F10514, 10620, F10592, F10637 Album Titles: Annie Ross with Tony Crombie and his Orchestra, Presenting Tony Crombie No. 2 (EP)

2. 55/5 Leader: Cleo Laine Date: December 13 1955 Venue: London Label: Nixa NJE1010, PRT PYL6028 Album Title: Unforgettable Cleo Laine

3. 58/7 Leader: (Melody Maker All Stars) Date: November 1958 Venue: London Label: Pye Nixa NJT518 Album Title: (Melody Maker Jazz Poll 1958/1959)

4. 62/4 Leader: Don Rendell Date: September 6 1962 Venue: London Label: Pye 7NJ 2059 Album Title: The Jazz Stars

5. 78/1 Leader: Arthur Greenslade Date: January 1978 Venue: London Label: Pye NPSL18557 Album Title: George Melly With Orchestra Arranged And Conducted By Arthur Greenslade

6. 89/6 Leader: Chris Smith Dates: November 23 29 1989? Venue: Wembley, London Label: BBC CDTP818 Album Title: Chris Smith And His String Of Pearls Orchestra

Edited by tooter

:)

I have a copy of the Cameron 'Cover Lover' vinyl on its way to me in the next few weeks, Tooter.

I'll happily do you a scan when it arrives.

That's marvellous, sidewinder. That means only six to go. Never believed we'd get this far when the quest began.

Edited by tooter

Here it is - advance copy for the Ronnie site.

Hmmm - looking at this cover it would appear that Gordon Brown started off doing jazz.. :lol:

Cover picture is on the site now - thanks a lot, sidewinder. I see now that I don't have full personnel. Are you able to tell me the missing names/instruments? Gordon Brown? Does not appear anywhere else. Percussion? Brass? Here's what I've got.

Personnel: Unknown brass [6 8],

Ronnie Ross [out 5] (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone, bass clarinet),

Art Ellefson [1 2 3 12] (tenor saxophone), Ray Swinfield [6 8] (flute),

John Cameron (piano, vocal), Spike Heatley [out 5] (bass),

Tony Carr [out 5] (drums), Unknown percussion [6 8].

Could you scan the back of it for any details it might yield for me please?