Ronnie Ross

couw

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought for a moment it would be back to the drawing board. Looking again at Cleo's Oh! Lady be Good, I noticed that during the number they include a brief shot of Ronnie Ross playing baritone. But a careful look at all the people on the stage behind Cleo gives me John Dankworth playing both clarinet and alto with just trumpet, vibes, piano, bass and drums. No sign of a baritone in the sound either so presumably just a mistake. Does anyone know the musicians I haven't got names for - trumpet, vibes, piano, bass and drums? Also, Tony Kinsey Quintet backs Annie Ross but who are the other four? A face has got to be really familiar to me before I can pick it out. Trumpet and tenor are only present at the very end.

Edited by tooter

gbhtsib.gifGot the answer to the Kinsey personnel I think. Les Condon trumpet, Peter King tenor, Gordon Beck piano (thought I recognised him) and Kenny Napper bass. The same behind Annie Ross and Jaffa Daze as they are from the same date. Didn't realise this at first. Edited by tooter

I'll check the video again later in the week Tooter but maybe it was the LeSage group with Ross but minus the celli that were backing Dame Cleo?

Dankworth backing Dame C but with trumpet, vibes, piano, bass, drums. Vibes player not BLS I'm sure. I am trying to get the BLSA "Cadensa" catalogue but it's down. That might help.

Maybe the vibes player was Tritram Fry? (in the 60s Dankworth orchestra - he was in the 'Windmill Tilter' lineup of 1967). Fry was certainly in the Dankworth group on that Ellington 'Love You Madly' broadcast from last week but I think that one went out in 1968.

I take it that is Tristram, SW. Thanks yet again - I will see what I can find out.

Maybe the vibes player was Tritram Fry? (in the 60s Dankworth orchestra - he was in the 'Windmill Tilter' lineup of 1967). Fry was certainly in the Dankworth group on that Ellington 'Love You Madly' broadcast from last week but I think that one went out in 1968.

I take it that is Tristram, SW. Thanks yet again - I will see what I can find out.

Woops - Tristram it is !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't find anything at eBay, only one reference at a Japanese site from Google. Tell me more please, Sidewinder. Do you have the album then? Can I get the details - personnel, tracks, etc? A straight picture of the cover would be very welcome too.

Thanks to Sidewinder :tup:tup:tup:tup, I now have another album including Ronnie Ross and it has been included in the discography at our site ronnieross.com. Picture has been put up too but this does not reduce the total still sought of course because it was previously completely unknown to me.

Hoping everybody will be keeping an eye open like the alert Sidewinder. Thanks a lot.

Edited by tooter