ebay madness re: vinyl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one record from this nimrod--a Prestige Hank Mobley that he said was NM/VG+. This was several years ago and I paid him $202 for the record. The jacket was pretty nice, a solid VG+, NOT NM and the record was in beat-minus condtion with TWO skips and hideous surface noise. I asked for my money back and he told me to "pound sand" and said I was probably going to pull "the old switcheroo" and send him my beat copy and keep his nice one.

I left negative feedback with 20 seconds to spare and I have NEVER EVER even looked at one of his auctions.

so he whacked you for $202.00? unbelievable. i'm sorry, but i just can't spend that much without the safety net of a guarantee or escrow.

i think it's pretty low for someone to do that to a jazz lover...

-e-

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that on the high value records ( over $200 ) only the winning bidder's ID is now displayed . Why shouldn't we expect this new Ebay policy of concealing all the other bidders' identities to lead to an increase in shill bidding , especially given that Ebay benefits financially from such fraud ?

Actually, it's not by chance that some of the record's best dealers are managing to built their own websites off eBay.

Good ! A friendly relationship and set sale (even if prices are high) that's what we expect from a site. If you know some, would you share them with us ?

Ron Rambach and Jeff Barr are working on it. I'll let you know as soon as they are on-line.

Actually, it's not by chance that some of the record's best dealers are managing to built their own websites off eBay.

Good ! A friendly relationship and set sale (even if prices are high) that's what we expect from a site. If you know some, would you share them with us ?

Ron Rambach and Jeff Barr are working on it. I'll let you know as soon as they are on-line.

We may be waiting a long time!

Ron does SO well on the high-end stuff on ebay I really think he'd be taking a step backwards profit-wise by selling direct. He hasn't had a "list" in over a year, so maybe he's going to make the next one an on-line only list?

Haven't heard about Jeff's website in a while. Is he really working on a "shopping cart" type site?

HERE is the latest one I received . . .

Nice records, but he has to improve his website, I think. The best user's friendly option I found on record's dealers website is downloadable lists as Excel or Word file, I prefer Excel.

We may be waiting a long time!

Ron does SO well on the high-end stuff on ebay I really think he'd be taking a step backwards profit-wise by selling direct. He hasn't had a "list" in over a year, so maybe he's going to make the next one an on-line only list?

Haven't heard about Jeff's website in a while. Is he really working on a "shopping cart" type site?

I've no details about it, only the news you got already.

Minimum bid of $20 for a Prestige twofer?!

Minimum bid $200 for a Japanese BYG?!

:crazy:

Minimum bid of $20 for a Prestige twofer?!

Minimum bid $200 for a Japanese BYG?!

:crazy:

Thats often the problem with off ebay auctions and set sales. The stuff is not the most interesting and prices for that are too high. Because, even those dealers put the top records on ebay (at least for now). I think it would be interesting to have a set sale even with high prices, if it is for real top records. Maybe its a dream.

Regarding Jeff Barr, i have bought quite a lot from him and always been satisfied. Anyway when Ebay really started in 98-99, i think many dealers like him actually lost customers. Now that many of us are fed up with ebay policy, maybe it would be interesting to go back to the good old seller, but through an online shop.

Thats often the problem with off ebay auctions and set sales. The stuff is not the most interesting and prices for that are too high. Because, even those dealers put the top records on ebay (at least for now). I think it would be interesting to have a set sale even with high prices, if it is for real top records. Maybe its a dream.

Regarding Jeff Barr, i have bought quite a lot from him and always been satisfied. Anyway when Ebay really started in 98-99, i think many dealers like him actually lost customers. Now that many of us are fed up with ebay policy, maybe it would be interesting to go back to the good old seller, but through an online shop.

Ron and Jeff are nice persons, surely the best I found in my history of jazz record's collector. Online shop is a good idea, tough I wasn't particularly dissatisfied with the good old private auctions on paper. It helped to stop my compulsory habit of shopping or bidding online in the middle of the night after too many single malt's glasses. :ph34r:

Edited by porcy62

It helped to stop my compulsory habit of shopping or bidding online in the middle of the night after too many single malt's glasses. :ph34r:

Now i know who actually are those 1 k and more bidders. Anonymous alcoholics.

Not me. Since I discovered e-snipe I bacame one of these bastards, and I decide my max bid totally sober. :g