Big quake in Tokyo

Why is it so hard to come to an agreement about what's really going on and then tell the truth about it. What do you gain by hiding anything?

Could it be that this is a question of "not losing one's face"??

Interesting report and comment on this aspect (of evacuation politics and people leaving Japan now) on a German news site today (in German so no use providing a link here): The gist of it is that according to what's part of the way the Japanese see themselves the basic rule is: "As a Japanese, you stay put".

Hard to imagine elsewhere what do we really know (and understand)?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as we are starting to feel some semblance of normality again we have been hit with a warning of elevated levels of radioactivity in the Tokyo water supply.

They advise not giving water to ' infants' but say there is no immediate health danger to adults. Everythings hangs on ' immediate'. Freaking again. :alien:My link

Edited by kinuta

Just as we are starting to feel some semblance of normality again we have been hit with a warning of elevated levels of radioactivity in the Tokyo water supply.

They advise not giving water to ' infants' but say there is no immediate health danger to adults. Everythings hangs on ' immediate'. Freaking again. :alien:My link

I live on the doorstep of the water treatment plant in Kanamachi Eastern Tokyo. I read Rupert Wingfield -Hayes's dispatch to the BBC (your link above). I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. What possible useful purpose does a report like that serve? To call the water situation 'Japan's ground zero' is completely irresponsible. The fact is that Japan sets limits for radioactive iodine 131 that are 10 times lower than those set by the IAEA: 300Bq/kg in Japan and 3000Bq/Kg for the IAEA. Putting 'no immediate danger to adults' at the end of a report after using emotive language like 'ground zero' is pure bad journalism. This is the same chinless wonder who harped on about the prevalence of face masks in Tokyo. Well that's because it's 'kafunsho' (hayfever) season. Something like 20% of Tokyoites are susceptible to the cedar pollen from that blows into the city at this time of year. This prat is apparently married to a Japanese woman. You'd think he'd dig a little deeper and know a bit about the place before typing out articles so cliche ridden they could have come straight from a Fodors travel guide. I've lived here for 12 years and as worrying as things are I really feel ill-served by what passes for journalism from some elements of the foreign media. As I write water has been declared safe for everyone in the Tokyo area. Net result? Panic buying of water in the city for 2 whole days and yet another media generated diversion from the pressing issue of those thousands left to freeze and starve up in the tsunami area. Seriously, life in Tokyo is Easy Street by comparison. Rant over. Time for a cup of tea...

I live on the doorstep of the water treatment plant in Kanamachi Eastern Tokyo. I read Rupert Wingfield -Hayes's dispatch to the BBC (your link above). I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. What possible useful purpose does a report like that serve? To call the water situation 'Japan's ground zero' is completely irresponsible. The fact is that Japan sets limits for radioactive iodine 131 that are 10 times lower than those set by the IAEA: 300Bq/kg in Japan and 3000Bq/Kg for the IAEA. Putting 'no immediate danger to adults' at the end of a report after using emotive language like 'ground zero' is pure bad journalism. This is the same chinless wonder who harped on about the prevalence of face masks in Tokyo. Well that's because it's 'kafunsho' (hayfever) season. Something like 20% of Tokyoites are susceptible to the cedar pollen from that blows into the city at this time of year. This prat is apparently married to a Japanese woman. You'd think he'd dig a little deeper and know a bit about the place before typing out articles so cliche ridden they could have come straight from a Fodors travel guide. I've lived here for 12 years and as worrying as things are I really feel ill-served by what passes for journalism from some elements of the foreign media. As I write water has been declared safe for everyone in the Tokyo area. Net result? Panic buying of water in the city for 2 whole days and yet another media generated diversion from the pressing issue of those thousands left to freeze and starve up in the tsunami area. Seriously, life in Tokyo is Easy Street by comparison. Rant over. Time for a cup of tea...

Couldn't agree more. The foreign media reports have really hyped the situation in Tokyo out of all proportion.

The water panic buying hasn't abated here in Setagaya Ku, the shops are empty of water, as are all the vending machines. Doesn't bother me as I drink tap water. I really wish this ' kaidame' -panic buying would end, I went out to buy some yogurt the other day and couldn't find any anywhere. What possible reason could explain that?

Time to move on and focus on the real problem, the plight of the newly homeless evacuees.

Edited by kinuta

What to say. :unsure: From the AP...

More obstacles impede crews in Japan nuke crisis

The day began with company officials reporting that radiation in leaking water in the Unit 2 reactor was 10 million times above normal, a spike that forced employees to flee the unit. The day ended with officials saying the huge figure had been miscalculated and offering apologies.

"The number is not credible," said Tokyo Electric Power Co. spokesman Takashi Kurita. "We are very sorry."

A few hours later, TEPCO Vice President Sakae Muto said a new test had found radiation levels 100,000 times above normal — far better than the first results, though still very high.

But he ruled out having an independent monitor oversee the various checks despite the errors.

I heard that "10 million times normal" figure on the BBC last night as I went to sleep, and thought how dire things had probable become.

Without independent verification, how is anyone to know which results are correct? <_<

Edited by Rooster_Ties