Record Shopping in Portland

Peter Johnson

I know there are a few PDX members here. I'm in town for a few days and would love to see what's what. I was shocked this morning to discover Music Millenium on 23rd is closed (maybe I shouldn't be shocked, but I always liked that place). Always found everyday music to be spotty/overpriced. There was a coop on Hawthorne a few years ago--still going, still worth a visit?

Would love any tips. Many thanks!

Wow--shows how long it's been since I've been back. Closed since 2007! The east side store is still open...

Music Millenium NW 23rd Closing

Dang, I didn't know that Music Millenium closed. I'm 100 miles south of Portland, but if you find your way down here, there's one store that still has a decent selection of vinyl (and a jazz section).

There was a coop on Hawthorne a few years ago--still going, still worth a visit?

I haven't record shopped in Portland in a couple of years but it sounds like Crossroads Music.

Someone made a vinyl list on Yelp!

A Portland jazz vinyl map. That can be altered for other genres.

What Vinyl Resting Place has in stock.

Eugene actually has 3 vinyl (& CD) shops. House Of Records, Skip's CD World and uh, that place across from the downtown post office all have a jazz section.

Regarding the above I can't verify in person what is in business. Hopefully a Portlander will comment rather than just us southern valley folk. ;)

Edited by Quincy

Music Millenium is the creme de la creme of Portland record stores. At this point, it's become fairly iconic. Their store on 23rd was too big and never matched the cache or the intimate ambiance of the original on Burnside. There used to be a used store called Bird's Suite across form the library downtown but it moved over to the east side on Hawthorne several years ago. I looked around on Google but I don't think it's still in business. It was the only jazz centric retail outlet I'm aware of. The most interesting place might be Craig Moerer - Records By Mail at 2541 NW 30th Ave. I think you can visit them, but you might want to call ahead to make sure.

Here's a list of other retail outlets in town along with a brief description.

http://www.altportland.com/consume/records.shtml

Seems like the only place I look for cds anymore in PDX is Everyday Music on Burnside near I-405. I know the indies have always hated it, but most of them are gone, which is too bad. That's where I go, anyway. Used to love Django. Long gone, now, alas.

gregmo

• 2 years later...

Headed to Portland for the first time ever tomorrow. Interested in jazz CD rather than vinyl. What do folks recommend -- Music Millenium and Everyday Music? Something else in town?

Those are the two I visit now and then. Music Millenium is far cooler, but has fewer used cds. Its new cd selection is better, though, IMHO.

gregmo

Headed to Portland for the first time ever tomorrow. Interested in jazz CD rather than vinyl. What do folks recommend -- Music Millenium and Everyday Music? Something else in town?

Those are the two I visit now and then. Music Millenium is far cooler, but has fewer used cds. Its new cd selection is better, though, IMHO.

gregmo

That's my take as well, I know the people at MM so I tend to go there but there's nowhere with the kind of new jazz CD selection that was common 10yr(?) ago.