2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reaction was blue too.

But it was a happy blue.

Ah, but I'll bet the Baltimore game had you seeing red! :P

Dave James, OK, maybe it's not too early to define two emerging long-term problems for this season: (1) The health of Phil Hughes' arm (2) The state of Rafael Soriano's mind

If this keeps up, D-Rob may become the 8th-inning setup man, and Rafael may be scrapping with Joba for the 7th-inning role.

Sure hated to see Ivan Nova finally go a good ways into a game pitching well, only to watch our much-vaunted bullpen blow another one.

Edited by ghost of miles

I assume you're talking about the guy who is like 5'6" and averages more than a strikeout an inning. Haven't seen him yet but I'd like to see what he's got.

Yeah, duh, the cat's name is Tim Collins, and you should have a look at him. His hat's too big for his head, it seems, and the name and numbers on the back of his uniform are almost bigger than the uniform itself. But the guy's got this old-school high-kick full windup reminiscent of Juan Marichal, and yeah, the cat deals.

Here's hoping him an excellent career, with at least some of it spent pitching for the Rangers (as in, BOY COULD WE USE HIM NOW!!!).

Braves had him for 2 weeks last summer...sigh.....

I'm tickled pinker every day with Raphael Soriano. Last night he doesn't bother catching a fly ball just behind the mound that a LIttle League pitcher could have handled. This results in an extra, unnecessary run for the White Sox. Tonight, he follows up that effort with a one inning outing during which he surrenders two hits, two runs and a walk and blows the hold. Boy. What a find this guy was.

Another brave....

I'm tickled pinker every day with Raphael Soriano. Last night he doesn't bother catching a fly ball just behind the mound that a LIttle League pitcher could have handled. This results in an extra, unnecessary run for the White Sox. Tonight, he follows up that effort with a one inning outing during which he surrenders two hits, two runs and a walk and blows the hold. Boy. What a find this guy was.

Yes, starting to look like Cashman was right to balk at signing him. Hopefully he turns it around, but the signs so far don't look good.

And WFT with Brent Lillibridge, eh? Dude robbed us of two game-tying or winning hits from A-Rod and Cano in the bottom of the 9th. Gotta doff your cap to that, though it doesn't tickle me to do so. (My realtime reaction was kind of blue, to put it mildly.)

Brent Lillibridge, yet another (former) brave! :P

David, like I said a few days ago, Soriano has the look of one of those guys who can pitch anywhere but in New York. $35 million is an awful lot to pay to figure that out.

Dan, while things are definitely looking up for the Sox, you've got to be concerned about Clay Buchholz. He's 1-3 after losing tonight to the O's. He gave up 12 hits in 6 1/3 innings and his ERA now stands at 5.33. If they don't get him right, it's going to be a lot longer season for Boston than it would be otherwise.

David, like I said a few days ago, Soriano has the look of one of those guys who can pitch anywhere but in New York. $35 million is an awful lot to pay to figure that out.

Dan, while things are definitely looking up for the Sox, you've got to be concerned about Clay Buchholz. He's 1-3 after losing tonight to the O's. He gave up 12 hits in 6 1/3 innings and his ERA now stands at 5.33. If they don't get him right, it's going to be a lot longer season for Boston than it would be otherwise.

Dave, I hope for everybody's sake that Soriano can get it together in NYC. His velocity is certainly still there (he was hitting 95-96 tonight), but I'm not sure what other issues he might be having. I think people aren't ready to exhibit much patience with him because of an attitude perception that goes all the way back to his refusal to face AL East teams during spring training...and things like the popup incident last night certainly seem to reinforce it. Maybe Mo can help him out with the psychological end of things.

Re: Boston, yes, CB may be struggling, but Beckett definitely seems to be back in an ace groove, Jon Lackey may have finally found his, and even Dice-K has put together a couple of strong starts. And then you have Lester. If I'm Boston, I definitely like the momentum right now, the sense that the team of pre-season hype has finally taken the field. The Yanks' first-place status feels like it's built on a bushel of home runs and luck, including subpar starts from the Bosox and the Rays. Again, though, I'm at least heartened that some of our offseason bargain pickups have paid off--Russell Martin biggest among them, but also Colon, Garcia, and Chavez. Now if we can just get the really expensive one to start clicking...

Meanwhile, I'm still bummin' on Lillibridge:

Robs A-Rod of hit with one out in 9th

Robs Cano of hit to end the game

Two very nice plays to snuff out the Yanks' rally.

Edited by ghost of miles

Not sure anyone has ever made two plays like that in a row. Wow. I was "watching" the ninth inning on ESPN's Gamecast, so all I knew was that A-Rod and Cano flied out to right to end the game. Had no idea about the catches. Wow, again.

Edited by Dave James

Buchholz is still a worry, no doubt but last night wasn't nearly as bad as he has been - working two outs into the seventh and giving up the runs on sac flies.

Fact is for this team to really start to impress, the two high-priced additions have to play like they are supposed to - Gonzalez hasn't had the rough start that Crawford is having but he's been a fraction of what was expected, at least so far.

The hopeful thing is that if the offense finally clicks on all cylinders, or 75% of them at least, a four-run performance by Buchholz is probably an 8-4 win.

The mere fact they played so poorly and are a mere 3 games out is the best thing that's happened so far.

Not sure anyone has ever made two plays like that in a row. Wow. I was "watching" the ninth inning on ESPN's Gamecast, so all I knew was that A-Rod and Cano flied out to right to end the game. Had no idea about the catches. Wow, again.

I was watching it, and both times I jumped off the sofa ready to cheer only to see that the ball was caught.Curses, foiled again.

Rangers' pitching news continues to be depressing.

• Looks like the Brandon Webb deal might well not pan out:
    You really try to not to read too much into two innings of an extended spring training outing. However, it's been a long time since the surgery, and it's not just about what his radar readings are, but the lack of improvement in those readings since our last information seven months ago. Sitting 78-82 and topping at 84 may not seem like a long way from sitting in the high 80s and touching 90, but it is. Pitching is obviously not all about lighting up the gun, but Webb needs that velocity to make that sinker work the way we've come to expect. Webb's curve and changeup are also down by about the same amount in terms of his velocity, and his lazy curve was not a good pitch. The changeup action was solid.
    http://www.lonestarball.com/2011/4/27/2136656/you-really-try-to-not-to-read-too-much-into-two-innings-of-an#comments

If American public schools really wanted to address what is wrong with this country, they would start cranking out quality pitchers like McDonalds cranks out "hamburgers", that's what they would do.

I was reading an article yesterday about the New York Mets financial situation. It was speculating that the organization is in over its head to the tune of some $675 million. What I found really interesting is that a portion of this is taken up by what's referred to as deferred obligations. The two specific examples referenced in the article were Bobby Bonilla and Bret Saberhagen. Apparently, the Mets owe Bonilla, who hasn't played since 1996, $1.2 million a year from now until 2035 and Saberhagen, who hasn't played since 1995, $250,000 a year until 2029. While that is truly mind boggling, speculation is that the financial condition of the Los Angeles Dodgers is even worse. Woe is MLB.

Ben Zobrist of Tampa Bay has 8 RBIs today. The record for RBIs in one game is 12 by Mark Whiten of the Cardinals on 9-07-1993.

edit: Jim Bottomley also knocked in 12 runs for St. Louis on 9-16-1924

Whoa! Check this out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_leaders_in_RBI_in_one_inning

The Major League Baseball (MLB) leaders in runs batted in (RBI) in one inning are topped by record holder Fernando Tatís, then with the St. Louis Cardinals, who set the MLB record with eight RBI in a 1999 game in which he hit two grand slams in the third inning of a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Alex Rodriguez set the American League mark, with seven RBI in the sixth inning of the New York Yankees' final game of the 2009 season, played against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Tatís accomplished his major league baseball record in a game played by the St. Louis Cardinals on April 23, 1999, against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Dodger starting pitcher Chan Ho Park entered the game's third inning with a 2–0 lead, but would implode in that frame, giving up a total of 11 runs (six of them earned) on six hits, an error and 48 pitches in the inning before being relieved by Carlos Pérez who was able to get the third out of the inning on three pitches. With no outs, Park loaded the bases on two singles and a walk before Tatís hit a grand slam to deep left field on a 2–0 count. Three more runs scored before Tatís would again come to the plate with the bases loaded, belting his second grand slam with two outs and a full count, to give Tatís the MLB record for most RBI in an inning and becoming the only MLB player to have hit two grand slams in a single inning.[4]

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Rangers waste a fine start by Ogando, another outstanding bullpen outing from Cody Eppley, and a nerve-wracking but ultimately effective one from Pedro Strop with a 9th inning circus of Darren Oliver ineffectiveness (bloop hits hurt as much as homers if they keep coming), a rare defensive gaffe by Beltre, and just...bad stuff in general.

We start a 20 games in 20 days stretch with a 4-6 homestand. Tomorrow we go out west to face the A's for 4 & then M's for 3, then back home w/no break to face the NYY & the A's again, then a day off, finally, and then here come the Angels. If this team doesn't find some focus soon, they're going to be in much of a hole by the time they do.

Grrrrr.....

Ben Zobrist of Tampa Bay has 8 RBIs today. The record for RBIs in one game is 12 by Mark Whiten of the Cardinals on 9-07-1993.

edit: Jim Bottomley also knocked in 12 runs for St. Louis on 9-16-1924

Whoa! Check this out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_leaders_in_RBI_in_one_inning

The Major League Baseball (MLB) leaders in runs batted in (RBI) in one inning are topped by record holder Fernando Tatís, then with the St. Louis Cardinals, who set the MLB record with eight RBI in a 1999 game in which he hit two grand slams in the third inning of a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Alex Rodriguez set the American League mark, with seven RBI in the sixth inning of the New York Yankees' final game of the 2009 season, played against the Tampa Bay Rays.

Tatís accomplished his major league baseball record in a game played by the St. Louis Cardinals on April 23, 1999, against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Dodger starting pitcher Chan Ho Park entered the game's third inning with a 2–0 lead, but would implode in that frame, giving up a total of 11 runs (six of them earned) on six hits, an error and 48 pitches in the inning before being relieved by Carlos Pérez who was able to get the third out of the inning on three pitches. With no outs, Park loaded the bases on two singles and a walk before Tatís hit a grand slam to deep left field on a 2–0 count. Three more runs scored before Tatís would again come to the plate with the bases loaded, belting his second grand slam with two outs and a full count, to give Tatís the MLB record for most RBI in an inning and becoming the only MLB player to have hit two grand slams in a single inning.[4]

I could have sworn Willie McCovey hit two slams in the same inning, but I was wrong... though he did hit two in an inning, including a G.S.

Jun 27, 1977 - The Giants Willie McCovey smashes 2 HRs‚ one a grand slam‚ in the 6th inning to pace a 14-9 victory over the Reds. McCovey becomes the first player to twice hit 2 HRs in one inning (4/12/73)‚ and also becomes the all-time NL leader with 17 career grand slams. Andre Dawson‚ in 1978 and 1986‚ will clout 2 round trippers in an inning.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballplayers/player.php?name=Willie_McCovey_1938&page=chronology

And about the only things I have ever known about Jim Bottomley was that he played for the cards, and drove in 12 in a game...

Edited by BERIGAN

Papsrus, calling Papsrus--your Rays are on fire!

MartyJazz, this just in--Nick Swisher finally knocked his first one out of the ballpark.

And Bartolo Colon is looking to be the pickup of the year for the Yanks, right next to Russell Martin. Good thing, too, since Phil Hughes may be out for awhile... I wish some of the Yanks' "Killer B's" pitching prospects were ready to come up this year, but they're likely another season away at the earliest.

Papsrus, calling Papsrus--your Rays are on fire!

Everyone acts as if the Red Sox are turning it on, about to run away from the field when its the Rays who had virtually the same awful start and have now actually climbed above .500, all without Evan Longoria while the Red Sox embarrass themselves in Baltimore and limp home still under .500.

If the Rays compete the rest of the way, and there's no reason they won't, that 2-10 start will in fact keep the Red Sox out of the playoffs. Just as I said it would.

Great pitching for the A.s by Cahill, but overall, a lackluster, at times sloppy, performance from the Rangers. Unless something dramatic, sustained, and collective happens fairly soon, they will be at best a .500 club by the end of May.

Unfulfilled potential might as well be fully realized mediocrity.

Edited by JSngry

Well, it's still early(ish), Feliz & Hamilton (whose numbers are not being missed nearly as much as his effect on the "rhythm" of the batting order) will be back, and the young starters are showing a lot of promise, even as they make HUGE mistakes when they make mistakes. But DAMN, the club is just out of sync right now, pretty much everybody. When it all clicks, it'll be ok. But the legacy, and therefore the drama that's rapidly building, is that it never quite does click...

And if Colby Lewis does not find his Inner Colby Lewis tomorrow night, I think you gotta start seriously wondering whazzupwiddat?