George Shearing - Jazz Moments

mikeweil

The original issue of this trio session with Israel Crosby and Vernel Fournier included 12 tracks, as did the Capitol CD reissue. I came across info there was a reissue with four (?) bonus tracks added. Is this true, and what are the titles, recording date, and label, country and number of this reissue?

Thanks, as always.

I found out that amazon.de offers that issue - it lists all those bonus tracks. I wonder if I will ever receive it ...

I had asked an amazon seller for the track list of a cheaper used copy of a Japanese issue, but it had only the 12 original tracks, so I was skeptical.

FWIW, here's the track list - 1-12 are the original LP:

1. Makin' Whoopee

2. What Is This Thing Called Love?

3. What's New?

4. Like Someone in Love - George Shearing, George Shearing

5. Heart of Winter

6. Blues in 9/4

7. Symphony

8. When Sunny Gets Blue

9. Wonder Why

10. Mood Is Mellow

11. Gone With the Wind

12. It Could Happen to You

13. Gentleman Friend

14. All This and Heaven Too

15. (I'm in Love With) The Honorable Mr. So and So

16. Evolution

17. Close Your Eyes

18. Night We Called It a Day

19. It's You or No One

20. Ill Wind

FWIW, Lord does not list these tracks anywhere in Shearing's discography. But, since it was a live recording, perhaps more material was unearthed from the same occasion? The question then is why the Capitol issue didn't include any extra material. But the Capitol CD was released eight years earlier, so the additional material could have been found in the meantime.

Jazz Moments was a studio recording.

It happened more than once that Cuscuna discovered additional material after the CD issue was out or even out of print - e.g the Shearing solo piano CD on Capitol was first released on CD without the bonus tracks.

A June Christy duo track with Stan Kenton comes to mind, too.

The second CD issue of the Shearing with Nancy Wilson also includes more bonus material than the first CD release.

Is there a Capitol Ruppli discography?

I haven't heard this album (yet!), but Lord says 'Live "Basin Street East"'. Was it recorded after the audience had left then (it happened)? Perhaps the tape ran also at the actual gig and the tracks are from that. Just speculations, but I now know what release to look for.

I am just giving this record (vinyl, first (German) pressing) a spin. It certainly does not sound like a LIVE club recording to me at all.

I haven't heard this album (yet!), but Lord says 'Live "Basin Street East"'. Was it recorded after the audience had left then (it happened)? Perhaps the tape ran also at the actual gig and the tracks are from that. Just speculations, but I now know what release to look for.

I never trust Lord without consulting a second source! The 1995 Capitol CD reissue, produced by Cuscuna, says it was recorded at Capitol Studios, New York City, June 20-21, 1962 ... no trace of a live audience audible.

Edited by mikeweil

Maybe Lord was misled (misguided!?) by the fact that the back cover of early pressings (such as the first/very early German pressing I have) has a facsimile reprint of the Downbeat review where Shearing (stressing his regrets about the sudden death of Isreal Crosby) is quoted a saying "Fortunately we made this trio album at Basin Street East." (Though his subsequent statements do not sound like it was all about a live recording at all)

The liner notes next to the track listing only give NYC, June 20 and 21, 1962, as the recording site and date, though. And so does the listing in Jepsen's discography.

• 1 year later...

I finally was able to find a copy of the latest Japanese paper sleeve reissue at an affordable price - it has eight bonus tracks (see my post # 4) with Israel Crosby & Vernel Fournier, recorded on the same two studio days as the twelve tracks originally issued on Capitol, June 20 & 21, 1962. The trio probably was performing at Basin Street East at the time, maybe they even recorded there, but all these tracks are studio. Again there was more material recorded than was needed for the album - seems to have been the rule with Shearing's non-orchestral live as well as studio sessions.

The unissued tracks are not earth-shattering, but nice additions just as good as the hitherto known tracks.

Edited by mikeweil

I have an idea, btw, how the assumption it was recorded at Basin Street East came into being: The original LP displayed a cutout from a down beat issue with the news about Crosby's passing, wherein Shearing was quoted saying, among other things, that fortunately they had been recording that trio album at Basin Street East. The liner credits, otoh, clearly state it was recorded in New York on June 20 & 21, 1962. The gig most likely was with the quintet, so they probably omitted the word "while" - a statement "while at Basin Street East would make perfect sense. Now would someone please check New York newspaper archives? ;)

Those bonus tracks are really nice, now that I have listened to them several times. That these three men were able to shell out these twenty arrangements off hand within two studio days is amazing.